06 | Saya & Momma I

W   R    A    Y    A

Sitting beside my mom was soothing and heartbreaking at the same time. She was in the High-dependency unit, HDU, and was on life support. Seeing her beautiful face made me forget about last night but it also shattered my heart into pieces.

"Mom, why did you do it?" I mumbled while I quietly sobbed. "Were you going to leave me? Leave me all alone in this world? Just like Saya did." I held her hands and spoke. Tears fell from my eyes and landed on my arm.

Saya, My elder brother. He was eight years older than me and for as long as I could remember, he had devoted his life to serving both me and my mom.

He never got any rest.

I took a deep breath as I saw my coworker, Jake walking into the convenience store. My shift had just ended and it was time to hand it over to him, although he was fifteen minutes late.

"Be on time, I don't want to spend extra time in this hellhole unless I'm getting paid extra!" I scolded and gave him an eye roll. He always does that to me. Always late.

What does he take me for?

Ten minutes late, Twenty minutes late, Thirty Minutes late. There was a time he came in an hour late. I boiled with anger and I wanted to rip all his hair off his head.

"I'm sorry, Wraya. I know what it looks like. I didn't mean to keep doing this. It's just that I have to pick up my little brother from daycare after getting off another part-time job and do a lot of things too," He explained. I scoffed, rolled my eyes, and folded my hands on my chest.

I hated it when people try to make excuses for their inexcusable behaviour. It's pathetic.

"How was that my problem? Next time you come late, even if it's just one minute late, I'll report you to the boss and get you fired. If I'm going to be working your shift, I should at least be getting paid,"

I know I sounded insensitive when he clearly stated he had to pick up his little brother from daycare but he shouldn't inconvenience others with his life problems. I also had things to do and needed to get home early.

"Again I'm so sorry, Wraya. Please don't report me to the boss. I can't afford to get fired, my siblings are depending on my side of income,"

"This is driving me insane," I mumbled with my eyes closed in annoyance. "Listen here, Your siblings are depending on your income the same way my sibling is depending on my presence."

My brother goes to work really early but he usually doesn't have an appetite in the morning so when he gets off work, he'd eat the food I cooked for him.

Buying food like his coworkers would was a luxury to him. From paying house rent, electricity bills, water bills, and our mom's expensive but mandatory drugs for her mental illness, he couldn't afford to spend his tiny salary lavishly. His company wasn't paying him enough for the efforts he puts in his work and the little money I made from the part-time job was being kept for an emergency.

I could only cook for him after getting off my part-time job at the convenience store but Jake being a nuisance and arriving late for his shift always made it impossible for me to get the food ready before Saya arrives.

"Stop being a nuisance because you're not the only one with problems and arrive early for your shift," I said with gritted teeth and rudely threw the store vest on his head.

"...before I leave, I have one question. Is your mom a dog? Why is she giving birth to so many children when she knows she can't afford to take care of them?" I asked with pure curiosity. Some people are just straight-up daft, people like his mom.

"You're going too far, Wraya." His voice was transitioning from timid and sorry to angry and harsh but I didn't really care the shit.

"What? Was I wrong? Condom isn't expensive but she has just been giving birth like it was some kind of mandatory chore and dumping all the responsibilities on you. What are you, her ATM? Were you sent to this life to serve her?"

"Watch your mouth, Wraya," He raised his voice looking at me like he wanted to murder me but I knew he couldn't.

"It's just the truth and I'm sure you've thought of it. She dropped six siblings on you and now, she's pregnant and will soon have another baby—and I'm sure you're the one that will buy diapers and baby food. If I were you, I would just run away," I finished and walked out of the store without casting him another glance.

I practically did a marathon race home because I knew Saya would be back soon. As I got home, I ran straight to my room and slightly opened the door, I flung my tote bag inside and closed the door not caring where it landed.

I went to the kitchen and picked the first ingredient I laid my eyes on. Not that there were many options anyway. I decided to make pasta. As it boiled, I repeatedly glanced at the door praying the pasta would be ready before he arrives home.

It was as if the almighty answered my prayers. The food was already done and Saya has not gotten back. I left the kitchen and went straight to my mom's room.

I quietly opened the door and peered my head inside. She was sitting on the bed, facing the wall, no scratch that. Staring at the wall. "Mom, are you okay?" I called.

She turned her head back and gave me a fake smile. Like always. "I'm okay," She responded but I knew it was a lie. White lie to be exact. She hasn't been okay for the past six years and I know they say 'It's okay to not be fine' but in this case, it wasn't okay.

...and it was all Dad's fault.

I just wanted her to be the mommy I knew years ago but I knew it was a fantasy that could never turn into reality.

"Wraya!" My brother yelled from the living room. "Get me some food, I'm hungry!!" I heard his voice resounding through the house from my mom's bedroom.

"I'm coming,"