51 | Glum

With the taxi, we went to the mall and I got Reality cute hair clips remembering that she didn't have any. I also got her a cellphone; it wasn't really my place to decide if she should be using a cellphone at age eight but if her dad doesn't want her to, we'll take the phone from her until she's old enough for it. Personally, I feel like she was old enough to own a phone.

We got a matching outfit; a Black leather skirt, a black cropped top, an H&M varsity jacket, and Nike sneakers. We also took our time and ate ice cream, which put a smile on her face but with what I've heard; she could easily be pretending to be happy. I wanted to make her genuinely happy.

I did all I could to cheer her up and take her mind off everything that had happened and we were on our way home—we were inside the elevator, on our way to my apartment. I could see the little girl staring at the nineteenth button—probably thinking about her dad—I pulled her into a hug, indirectly telling her everything would be fine.

Finally, we got to the top floor and walked into the great room. Nova and Raven were sat on the couch; as usual, watching a reality show. "We're back!" I announced. The girls averted their gazes at us, "You went shopping? No wonder you took so long to return. I was just about to call," Raven said.

"I have a phone now!" Reality declared; the little feisty and showy girl was back and it brought a smile to my face.

"Really? Let me see," Nova started entertaining the girl while Raven took the shopping bags from me and carried them upstairs. "It's brand new, Wraya just got it for me," She said as she passed the phone to Nova.

"Reality, what are you going to change into?" I
questioned. She averted her gaze from me to the door and then back at me, taking a deep breath, she answered with her voice decreasing in volume, "My clothes are home,"

I went silent.

The beige man was probably home, right?

"Then go home and change. While you're gone, I'll help you set up your new phone," Nova said nonchalantly as she wasn't aware of the events that took place about two hours ago.

Many looks were exchanged between Reality and me before I stood up, "Let's go change your clothes," I let out. She gave me a sceptical look before slowly pulling herself off the couch, showing she trusted me.

I grabbed her hands and carried her school bag in the other, walking towards the door. "It's alright, we'll just walk in there, go to your room, change your clothes and get out. You don't have to speak to anybody If you don't want to," I said as rubbed her hands reassuringly.

On the nineteenth floor, In front of the second unit, we stood there for a good thirty seconds before Reality finally pushed in the passcode. The door unlocked and we stepped in expecting the beige man to be sat on the sofa but the living room was empty.

"Daddy!" She called and there was no answer signifying that the beige man wasn't home. We went straight to her room and I started helping her take off the uniform. A few minutes later, she was in casual clothes and was bringing out another set of uniforms, "This is for tomorrow," She said. I understood that she wanted to stay with me overnight and I wasn't going to refuse to let her stay.

I grabbed the clothes from her and her undergarments, heading out of her room with her hands in mine. As we walked towards the door, we heard it getting unlocked from outside. Reality and I froze knowing it was the beige man.

The door opened and the beige man walked in. He halted in his tracks and looked back and forth; with his bloodshot red eyes between Reality, me and the clothes I was holding to my chest. After a few seconds of utter silence, he finally walked passed by us without saying a single word and entered a room I assumed was his, slamming the door shut.

Reality and I exchanged looks before stepping out of the apartment. Walking towards the elevator, I could see her trying to discreetly wipe off the tears that managed to escape from her eyes. "Don't cry," I stopped walking and knelt in front of her, wiping the tears that won't stop rushing down.

"I'm worried about Daddy," She let out between sobs.

"Why are you worried about him? He's a grown man and he should be the one worried about you, not the other way around. He's the adult," I said.

"But he looked like he got run over by a train," She muttered, slowly calming down. She was right, the beige man didn't look too well and he looked like he was about to collapse.

"He'll be fine, he's an adult," I repeated.

A few hours later, It was around 8 pm in the evening. Reality was asleep after eating the food Nova cooked; She had a long day so I wasn't surprised she went to bed at 7.

I got a text from Dabin's mom saying she would add me to the group as reality's mom and a few minutes later, I was in the group chat. It took all the strength I had in me not to curse all of them out and tell them to go Kill the monsters they called children. I just had to do an insincere Introduction and feed them lies as to why I wasn't around.

After a while, I got a text from Richard Wilson,

Richard Wilson

*Swipe up for previous messages*

Tuesday, 2:26 pm

— • You can hang in there for the meantime until you complete your side of the deal.

Tuesday, 8:34 pm

— • Delivered.
— • I'll be expecting your message regarding your side of the deal.

I bolted up from the bed and ran downstairs screaming... "It's here!" Nova and Raven averted their gazes to me, knowing what I meant, They also resulted in screaming in happiness.

"Oh my gosh! We own a Porsche now,"