Shut Up (Make Me)

Dream broke his headphones.

It had been three weeks since George and Sapnap had started hooking up. Three weeks since George was rid of the terrible noise and Dream was left to deal with it. Three weeks since Dream had started wearing those noise-cancelling headphones more often than he wasn’t, constantly finding his dorm room empty and the noises from the adjacent chamber building steady.

And Dream broke his headphones.

He knew exactly how it had happened, too. And it was completely idiotic.

Dream had been in a rush that morning. He woke up to an empty room, which had more or less become the norm in the past three weeks. He knew George was just next door, but even if it had been logical to worry, Dream didn’t have enough time to. If he spent any more than five minutes getting ready, he would be late for class. And either way, he’d have to run.

He had fallen asleep in his headphones the previous night—courtesy of his very considerate friends and neighbors—which is why he had failed to hear his alarm until those stupid things died on his head three minutes before his wake. So he tore them off and let them fall onto the mattress, sprinting halfway across campus to make it to class on time.

He made it, thankfully.

But upon his arrival back to his dorm—empty because George was in class—he had forgotten the placement of his belongings. So when he threw his too-heavy backpack onto the bed—one stuffed with a too-expensive laptop and one too many books—Dream heard that sickening crunch.

And his headphones were gone.

He had to get rid of them, far beyond anything even remotely usable. And he was quick to order a new pair—the same exact ones because they worked so well—knowing damn well he’d need them. So he placed the order and stared in disbelief at the date in his confirmation email.

It was going to take ten days for his headphones to ship. Ten days. He knew that the university sucked with mail and it always took longer than to receive packages than if he were at home, but ten fucking days? 

It wouldn’t have been a big deal were it anything else, but Dream absolutely could not live without noise-cancelling headphones right now. He had earbuds, the shitty ones that came with his phone when he bought it, but he didn’t have much faith in them. He’d brought them to school as a backup for a situation exactly like this one, only he didn’t account for annoying roommates and best friends who liked to rail each other all hours of the day.

This was going to be a long ten days.

~

Day One

It had only been a few hours since Dream had broken his headphones and placed the new order, but he was already fearing the worst.

When George came back from class, he collapsed onto his bed. Dream briefly considered telling his roommate of the predicament, asking kindly for him and Sapnap to at least try being quieter until Dream could successfully not hear them again. Or even just ask they only fool around during the day, when Dream could safely leave the comfort of his bed and go anywhere fucking else.

But Dream was too nice, and he didn’t want to kill George’s fun. Or Sapnap’s fun. Or anyone’s, really. And he knew that it may be a tad too kind, but he also knew that neither of them would listen and nothing would change. He actually didn’t have a benchmark for how loud they were usually (thanks to his headphones) but if George’s shitty sleep schedule from the before times was any indicator, it was probably hell.

Dream was right, it was hell.

When he came back from hanging out with Sapnap and some of their other friends that evening, they bid each other ‘good night’ outside their doors. He found George working diligently on a coding project at his desk, but the moment he noticed Dream had come in, he put his laptop away.