BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 4

It was Venice's first day at his new school so he was quite nervous, but despite this, he was incredibly excited about this new experience in his short life.

Although he held Pete's hand tightly as they rode in the car, in his heart he was very happy to be able to live the same life as those children whom he used to watch with some envy when he begged for money in the streets. He always wondered what it would be like to learn and have fun, but years ago it seemed like a very silly thought.

"You'll see that everything is going to be okay," Vegas told him with a kind smile through the rearview mirror as he parked.

"You're going to learn a lot and you're going to meet a lot of friends," Pete told him as he helped him out of his car seat and put on his backpack.

Vegas helped him out of the car and asked, "Do you have everything you need?"

"Yes," Venice said nervously as he saw the other children running happily around the garden with their parents. What if others didn't like him or considered him strange? Will they exclude him from the group for not having parents like them?

"Welcome," the teacher said at the entrance to greet them. It was a young woman with a kind face who was wearing a very funny elephant apron with parasols. She seemed like a sweet person as she greeted them with a tender smile but then she said something that took them off guard, "You don't know how happy we are to be able to welcome our first couple of homosexual parents to our school. It is an achievement for this inclusive institution to be able to open ourselves to this new family"

"Excuse me?" Pete asked, confused.

"We are allies for the LGBTQ rights so any questions you have we are open to help you with whatever you need," she responded with a smile.

"I think you're getting a little confused," Vegas said with a nervous and somewhat annoyed smile, "I'm Venice's guardian and Pete is his babysitter."

"Aren't you his parents?" said the teacher nervously, "It's just that during the interview both of you gave me the impression that..."

"No! we're not!," Pete responded immediately.

"I... I'm sorry... I saw two dads and I got excited," the woman said, extremely nervous about her unintentional mistake. She was so embarrassed to make such a mistake that she struggled to speak, "We are allies... no... I have nothing against gays..."

"What is gay?" Venice asked Pete when he saw how nervous the teacher was when she said that word.

"Ice cream," Pete answered in his ear, not knowing how to answer that curious question in honesty.

"Don't worry," Vegas said kindly, trying to calm her for her peculiar confusion, "I hope we weren't late?"

"No... it's perfect, you're perfect," she continued, babbling nervously. She felt awful, but needed to be professional so she took a deep breath and then said, "You arrived just on time is what I wanted to tell you."

"Ok Venice, see you in the afternoon," Pete said with a smile but the boy immediately held onto his hand tightly.

"Are you going to leave me?" he asked, frightened.

"We'll come pick you up at 2:00," Vegas said with a smile, but the boy was on the verge of tears.

"Venice, you don't have to be scared," the teacher said, taking him by the hand and kneeling at his eye level to make conversation, "You're going to have a lot of fun here until they come back and then you'll go home."

"I don't want to stay here," Venice said and started to cry, "They're going to leave me right?"

"Listen to me," Vegas said, repeating the teacher's action by kneeling at the boy's eye level before speaking, "At school you are going to learn and make friends while I go to work and Pete is going to pick you up in time to go home." "