BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 24

Kinn waited alone, sitting in the interrogation room, carefully observing the coffee smoke in the plastic cup in front of him, which he held between his cuffed hands.

Despite the charges against him, he somehow didn't feel nervous because if his father had taught him anything it was to stay calm in the worst situations, no matter what happened.

Suddenly, Officer Tharn Joncheevat, one of Bangkok's best detectives, entered. A handsome and cold-looking young man, whose beautiful youth masked talent and experience in handling the worst criminals. An individual who would not be easily intimidated.

"I see you don't like coffee," Tharn said as he placed a thick folder on the table.

"Let's save the casual chat and get to the point," Kinn said, looking straight into the detective's eyes.

"I see," the officer said and sat down in front of him, reviewing the documents in the folder.

"I know you have nothing in those papers against me so stop wasting time," Kinn said again and Tharn realized that this interrogation would not be easy since the boy knew the police interrogation techniques.

He couldn't fool him easily.

"Kinn, the charges against you are serious. You could face..."

"From three months to 10 years in prison, I already know that," and then he turned to the two-sided mirror that was in the interrogation room, "I have nothing to hide"

"The evidence is the testimony of Tawan Naphat Vikairungroj as well as the police report on his father's murder coincides," he told her firmly before adding, "No one will leave this room until we finish talking."

Kinn looked him straight in the eyes as if he were accepting his challenge and suddenly that interrogation became a game of titans. Whoever broke first would lose.

"We are going to talk about what happened at the Rateeranir Mansion 10 years ago even if you don't like it," the officer said, taking out documents from the folder.

"It was a long time ago," Kinn replied coldly.

"But something like that is not easily forgotten," Tharn said and pulled out an excerpt from an official statement, "Tawan's testimony indicated that you were present during Torn's murder."

"During his death I was unconscious," Kinn replied, "Tawan's father almost beat me to death or maybe you didn't check the hospital report."

"But that doesn't mean you didn't know about what happened," Tharn said.

"I only knew what Tawan told me when we fled his house," Kinn said, "I was barely conscious after the attack."

"Why didn't you say anything after that?" the officer asked.

"We were two scared teenagers, and at that time homosexual relationships were not well regarded," Kinn said, looking him in the eyes, "We really didn't know how the authorities were going to react if we told them the truth."

"So you decided to hide it," Tharn said seriously, "Why does it seem to me that you guys set up this whole scenario and are actually the ones really responsible for his death?"

"Your question is inciting a bad response and I will not tolerate it," Kinn said angrily, looking at him coldly.

"Sorry, I'll rephrase the question," Tharn said with a sarcastic smile, "Why did you dismember the body if you had nothing to hide?"

Kinn was silent for a few seconds and then answered, "My father was the one who was in charge of disposing of the body and he thought it would be the easiest way to protect us."