BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 30

TRIAL DAY 6

OUTCOME

As Porsche watched the rain fall on his window from his cell he couldn't help but feel extremely alone and he remembered that in his life the few moments in which he truly felt happy were when he was away.

Far from his country, far from the memories, far from the pain and far...from Kinn.

And yet, deep in his heart, that idea filled him with pain because he couldn't believe that maybe things were better when he was alone and not with the person with whom he thought he would share his entire life and with whom he believed that he could achieve the happiness he longed for.

Would he never achieve happiness?

Would the world always punish him for the death of his parents?

That morning, when he turned eight years old, like a spoiled child, he begged his parents for a toy of which he no longer even remembers the name. He had wanted it so much for his birthday that when he didn't see it among the gifts he was very disappointed and threw a tantrum to get it bought for him right away.

If only he had known what awaited him from that day on, if he let his parents walk out that door, he would have forgotten about that damn toy and would have hugged them tightly to his chest so as not to never let them go.

If he had done that, things in his life might be very different. He might be studying at university with friends, traveling the world taking photographs, posting photos on Instagram or probably traveling to a new adventure.

So many possibilities, so many dreams that never came about due to his own ignorance....

But in retrospect none of that would have been the most important thing in that imaginary life. The most valuable thing is that he would have grown up with a loving family and had not suffered all the pain that he had to experience because of his uncle and even...

He might never have met Kinn.

"Mom," Porsche said through tears as he watched the rain fall, "You don't know how much I miss you."

............................

The next morning, the judge gave the order to release Porsche after he almost assaulted his goddamn uncle on the stand.

When Ken went to see him in his cell with the officer, he realized that apparently Porsche had not slept all night since he had dark circles in his eyes and looked as if he was lost in thought.

"Porsche," Ken said gently, "They're waiting for you to start the trial."

Porsche just got up from the ground and walked in thoughtful silence towards the courthouse as if he were lost in his memories and suddenly he saw Kinn standing next to the courthouse door looking at him with a strange, distant expression.

His heart couldn't break anymore so he looked away from Kinn and preferred to sit next to Ken in silence, leaving the last traces of what was left of his spirit in that courthouse.

"We are going to continue with trial N324143 dated November 22," said the judge, "This morning we have received alarming evidence from the prosecution in relation to the evidence presented on November 21 that raises suspicions about the veracity of photographic evidence N200590"

"What photographic evidence?" Porsche asked.

"The video of your rape," Ken said quietly, "The tape will be under evaluation this morning."