BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 29

Kinn parked his car on the river bank as he watched small drops fall on his windshield. So many things had happened in the last few days that he no longer knew what he had to discern from everything that had been revealed in that damned trial.

On the one hand Tawan was showing him a truth hidden for years that made sense while on the other hand there was Porsche, who bore the marks of the abuse he experienced on his skin.

Both versions made a lot of sense, however one phrase kept spinning around in his tumultuous head like a broken record that tormented him more than anything else:

"You don't trust me"

How many times did Porsche repeat that phrase on multiple occasions?

"You don't trust me"

All the evidence indicated that he should not blindly believe Porsche's words, that everything indicated that he was a traitor, that the evidence was there clearly indicating the truth.

But despite all that, why did he feel deep in his heart that there was something that didn't add up? Or was it perhaps clouded by the love he felt in his heart for Porsche?

And suddenly, as he watched the thick drops roll down his windshield, he remembered a very intimate moment with Porsche.

"I believe in what I see... In my eyes, I think you're good," Porsche said that to Kinn when he told him that he worked for the mafia. He said tha phrase when they had that deep conversation in that terrace so many years ago.

How true were those words when he first said them to him on that terrace?

And those words that tormented him came back, "You don't trust me"

And Porsche's words echoed in his memories, "I believe in what I see and I see that you are a good person."

"You don't trust me"

"I believe in what I see"

"You don't trust me"

"I believe in what I see"

"I believe in what I see..."

FLASHBACK

"I believe what I see," Porsche responded quickly.

"And what do you see?" Kinn asked him.

Porsche remained thoughtful for a few minutes on that terrace and after a deep puff of his cigarette, he answered honestly, looking into his eyes, "In my eyes, I think you're good."

Kinn remained silent for a few minutes and then sadly replied, "I'm not a good Porsche person."

"Why do you think that?" he asked, intrigued.

"I've done things I'm not proud of," Kinn replied with a hint of sadness.

"We've all done things we're not proud of," Porsche told him as he smoked his cigarette.

"Not like me," Kinn said seriously.

"Why do you say that?" Porsche asked as he watched his reactions carefully.

"I have hurt a lot of people," he responded with some anguish, "My family is dedicated to doing very bad things against people who don't deserve it."

"Prostitution," Porsche said without looking him in the eye as he concentratedly observed the landscape in front of him.

"Among other things," Kinn responded, feeling deeply guilty that his family's business was partly responsible for the hard life Porsche had experienced for years.