BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 13

Vegas and Pete, after their passionate night, didn't know how to act around each other. It had been a chance but incredibly exciting encounter that had left both of them wondering why it had happened.

That morning, the two got dressed almost in silence while they thought of thousands of reasons behind their evening, trying to avoid their gazes.

Pete, for his part, never thought he would experience that discomfort after his first time since deep in his heart he imagined a romantic moment with his chosen partner. But now he found himself arranging his things ashamed as if he had committed a crime.

For his part, Vegas did not understand why he had allowed things to escalate that way since, although he had drunk more than he should, he knew that alcohol did not cloud his judgment and that meant that he had voluntarily slept with the boy.

The freezing air between the two continued to the car as they were going to the same destination that morning and continued until they reached Vegas's apartment. It was certain that things had completely changed between the two.

Pete thought that by coming to pick up Venice, who was with the babysitter, the tension would ease between the two, but rather he was immediately surprised when he ran into someone he didn't expect to see that morning.

It was Porsche, who was sitting on the couch with his suitcase in hand.

"What are you doing here?" Vegas asked Porsche, surprised to see him with a stricken face. He walked over and sat next to him to hold his hand.

"Kinn's gone," Porsche said as a couple of tears rolled down his cheeks.

"That idiot," Vegas said and hugged him, "Doesn't he get tired of hurting people?"

"It's the first time he's left," Porsche said sadly, "I think I've left him so many times that it was only logical that he would leave sometime."

"What happened?" Pete asked and Vegas felt uncomfortable hearing his voice since he had completely forgotten that he was there, so he let go of Porsche immediately.

But Pete tried not to give much importance to his attitude because he was more concerned about the feelings of his best friend at that moment than making room for jealousy in his heart.

"He said he needs some time to be better at controlling his emotions. He was so angry when he saw those pictures that it truly scared me," Porsche said sadly.

"Didn't you explain it to him?" Vegas asked him.

"He understood it," Porsche said, "But he says he needs time... that he is not the person I need right now but I really don't know what that means."

"That fucking idiot," Vegas said annoyed.

"So what are you going to do now?" Pete asked.

"The truth is, I have nowhere to go and I don't want to spend the days of the trial alone," Porsche said, somewhat worried since he didn't want to bother anyone.

"Of course you can stay," Vegas said immediately and Pete felt a pressure in his heart. Although he knew that his feelings were not reciprocated, that did not mean that he did not hurt, especially after last night.

"I appreciate it very much, but I don't want to make you uncomfortable," Porsche told Vegas with a smile.

"I think it's best that you stay here," Pete said with an air of sadness, taking Vegas by surprise since he had never imagined that response, "The media is going to be crazy about you and it's best that you stay in a safe place."

"Would there really be no problem?" Porsche asked, "The least I want to do is make you uncomfortable."

Vegas looked at Pete for a few seconds worried, but seeing him unfazed by Porsche's words, he said, "If it wouldn't be a problem if you stayed."