BETTER ANGELS - CHAPTER 20

TRIAL DAY 2

EVENING

Porsche walked aimlessly through Bangkok's red light district, observing people carefully, as if he were trying to recognize something from his past in their unique faces.

"Do you see anything you like handsome?" said one of the girls mischievously, one of the many prostitutes who walked at the street corners.

Porsche watched her for a few seconds in silence, as if he remembered once being on the other side of that scenario. She looked at him with a flirtatious smile but he just walked away silently, confusing the young girl. He continued walking in silence until suddenly, among the neon lights, he recognized the place to which he had promised for the world to return.

The Fallen Angels...

He handed his identification at the entrance to one of the guards and entered the bar amid the loud music and shouts of the attendees. He didn't really know why he was returning to that place, but he just knew that he needed to get in.

Those violet velvet walls, the loud lights, the music, the noise of people's laughter, the smell of cigarettes, everything was so familiar and warm. Not like the strange world he stepped into when he left that place. It was as if he felt that this was the place where he really belonged and that everything he did when he left there was just a passing illusion.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said Yok with her peculiarly disgusting toad face, "Let's welcome the most beautiful boys in the whole city!"

And suddenly, while he was watching the boys dance, he noticed that his friend Tay was on stage moving to the music with a smile.

As he watched him carefully he realized how things had changed for both of them radically. He thought for a moment, just for a moment, that if maybe that night he hadn't met Kinn he would have been spared a world of suffering.

Maybe, just maybe, he would be dancing on that stage with his brother as the only concern in his mind. But now, for having wanted to give himself the opportunity to achieve something that was obviously not for him, he suffered more than he could bear. He did not follow his mother's warning and like Icarus he burned himself by getting too close to the sun until only ashes remained.

And now, everyone was aware that he was nothing, that six guys had mercilessly torn him to pieces for days. And not only that, Tawan's lawyers called him a liar, as if he was someone capable of inventing the worst thing that had ever happened to him.

"Baby?" a familiar voice asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Sheryl..." Porsche said and the girl sat next to her with a smile.

"I saw what happened today during your trial," the young woman said worriedly, "I'm so sorry for what happened to you with those bastards."

"That doesn't matter anymore," he said as he smoked a cigarette.

"Baby it does matter," she said, "It was terrible and I don't think there is anyone who is strong enough to get through it. Those bastards, how could they possibly use your past like that and worst of all, use that card against you. "

"I don't want to talk about it," he told her angrily as she took a sip of her whiskey.

"So what are you doing here?" she asked him.

"I really don't know," Porsche said with a lost look on his face, "As I look at this place only one idea comes to my mind and now I know that if I hadn't met Kinn that night I would have saved myself a world of suffering."