Chapter 3: Reunion

When Kate and Cody got their powers, they started practising them regularly. Cody got hold of his power, but Kate couldn't. "How do you do it?", asked Kate. Kate had been practising the whole day but couldn't figure it out. "Just make it clear in your mind. Think of the time when you stopped the rock. Think of that light.", said Cody. Hearing Cody's words, she tried once more.

She focused on a water bottle, swished her hands towards it, and thought of the light. There was a small spark and the light appeared again. She tried once more, but this time there was a huge spark, and she hit the water bottle hard and went flying towards the ground, hitting her head, and fell unconscious.

"Kate! Kate, wake up! Kate!", she heard a faint voice and woke up to reality. "What did I do?" asked Kate holding her head. "Nothing much,", and Cody showed the bottle she hit. It was all burnt. The plastic was melting, and the water dried up because of the heat, Kate was astonished. "It's ok, you can try tomorrow.", "No, I'm trying it today.", said Kate. "But you might fall again-", "It's okay, please let me try again.", insisted Kate. Cody had no choice but to let her do it once more.

"Ok... Let's do this!", saying that, she tried again and succeeded in lifting the bottle. "I did it! No way, I did it!", "Now, can we go home?", asked Cody. "Yes, we can.", and saying that, they went home.

Cody went to the office, the next morning. He worked happily thinking he wouldn't be interrupted by his powers. And he was right, he wasn't interrupted. But when he got home, to the mansion, he got an unexpected call from Kate. "Cody, please, come over to the apartment, something happened!", said Kate. Cody rushed as fast as he could. When he knocked on the door, the door creaked open. It was dark inside, he switched on the light and was shocked.

"Happy Birthday!", said Kate, Sasha, Caleb, and an unexpected boy wearing a mask. He looked pale, he was as tall as Cody, and the same age as Cody. "Steve? Is that you?" asked Cody curiously. "After all these years, you still remember me?" said Steve.

Steve was Cody's best friend; he was more like a brother. Steve moved to LA leaving New York when Cody was in 8th. Since then, Cody has been acting like a robot, and alone to himself. But now that Steve's back, Cody was more than happy to see him. Cody hugged Steve tightly. "When did you come? Why didn't you inform me? Where are you staying? -", "Gosh you ask a lot of questions!", said Kate. "I'm staying in this apartment, just below Kate's house.", said Steve, smiling at Cody. "Now can we cut the Cake already? I'm starving!", said Sasha.

As they sang the birthday song, Sasha screamed "Birthday Bumps!", "Wait really, are you still going to do that?", asked Cody, awkwardly. "We don't break the rituals, do we, Cody?", asked Steve, smirking in a corner. "1, 2, 3....16, 17, 18!", "Cody is finally an adult!". "I'm waiting for my Birthday now.", said Kate.

The next day, Sasha didn't come to school. Kate called her and she said she had a strange flu, so she decided to skip school. After spending the rest of the day alone, she came home and found Caleb there. "Caleb, what are you doing here? And why did you skip school?", asked Kate. "Give this to Sasha.", said Caleb, giving a sticky chewing gum-looking medicine, in a glass container. "Ew, what is this?", "It's modified sweet pondweed.", said Caleb. "Who eats pondweed?", "It's not pondweed it's modified sweet pondweed.", "It's still pondweed.", said Kate, disgusted by its smell. "No, MSP is different.", "All right then... Thanks? But wait a minute, who told you, Sasha has flu?", asked Kate, remembering not to mention Sasha in her conversation.

"Cody...-", "I didn't tell Cody...?", she said. "No, didn't Cody tell you about 'A healer in the group'?" said Caleb. "What group and what healer?", asked Kate, completely confused by Caleb's words. "Just call Steve and Cody here.", "Okay...?". And when Kate called both Steve and Cody, she was shocked to hear their words.