Chapter 12: Learning to Fight

The next day, Stone taught Kate how to defend herself. He kept teaching and she kept learning. It was soon afternoon, and they had lunch. They were sitting in front of each other and having their lunch. Kate kept asking questions, but Stone would answer none.

"Where were you born? When is your birthday? Oh and, why haven't started a business yet? You are capable, though.", "You know I am not going to answer those nonsense questions. So why ask?", "Random curiosity. And, I dare you, to answer one question of mine, if you have the guts.", she said as she was smirking.

Stone then leaned in, as Kate smirked. "Try... Me.", "Well then, be ready. And most importantly, be honest.", she sat up straight, making a very suspenseful face. "Did you ever,", she continued, making Stone, oddly nervous, "Fall in love?", she said, getting excited.

"Nonsense. I didn't.", "Oh, come on!", she said, scoffing to herself and folding her hands. "You make that sentence sound obvious, and I ask you, did you ever fall in love?", "I haven't, but I thought you would.", "Even by judging my 'serious' behavior towards everyone?", he asked.

"Everyone has a warm heart inside. And I know, your behaviour has a reason behind it, and you don't want to talk about it.", she said. As she said those words, Stone smiled for the first time. It was a sarcastic smile, but it felt heartwarming to Kate. "Don't worry, I'm not asking.", "Asking what?", "The reason, if there is any.", she said, as she smiled, and got up, to leave.

They had only four days, so they practised in the evening as well. After she was taught multiple fighting moves in 3 days, she had to fight her fears. Stone waved his hand in the air and the hooded man appeared in front of her. "Let's do this, shall we?", she said as she got ready to fight. The man said nothing and charged toward her. She fought bravely, and the man fell to the ground and disappeared.

Then she fought with multiple people, and finally, she was against Stone. "I'm sorry, but I don't want to hurt you.", "We'll see that.", he said, as they both got ready to fight, and soon, the fight began. Kate fought bravely at first, and so did Stone, but then Kate got tired. She tried and tried hard, but she still lost against him. "One more fight.", "Let... Me...", she continued, as she was breathing heavily. "Breath...", "I'll give you 5 seconds. 1, 2, 3-", "I'm sorry, I can't.", "The enemy won't stop when you say that.", he said as he gave his hand to her so that she could get up, and fight.

They fought again, and Kate lost, again. "Can we do this tomorrow? I swear, if I fight once more, I might collapse again. I'm feeling dizzy anyways...", "Fine. But get up early at 4 tomorrow.", "But-", "No, buts.", he said, as Kate groaned and went inside. "I'll read for a few minutes and sleep.", she said as Stone served dinner. He sat and looked at Kate, with a disappointed face. As they were having dinner, Kate didn't say a word, or make an expression, neither did Stone.

Stone then gathered up the courage and say or ask something to fill in the silence. "Something on mind?", asked Stone. She just disagreed with him, by shaking her head, weakly. "Something is one mind, I see.", "No, it's just,", she scoffed and smiled at the same time, and continued, "I'm just feeling sleepy.", "All right, then.", said Stone, as Kate got up, to leave. When she went to her room, sat on the bed, too weak to read or do anything, and slept.

The next day, Stone woke up early at 3:30 am to make sure Kate woke up. When he went to her room at 3:59, she was still sleeping. Her alarm clock beside her kept ringing till 4:05, but she didn't wake up. Stone marched towards her blanket and pulled it down. She still didn't wake up and kept groaning. "Wake up.", "It's 4 am... Go and... Sleep", and she slept again. Stone got some water in a glass and spilt water on her face. "Oh, my god! What were you thinking?", and this is how her sleep was interrupted.

Stone didn't say anything, and went outside, leaving Kate confused and angry. She freshened up and started practising. It was 4 pm, and she had practised for at least 12 hours. She was tired and went to her room to change. She came out to find Stone outside her room. "Apologies. To spill water on your face.", "It's ok, I guess. Cody used to do the same thing when we were younger.", she said.

Stone was going to the city, and Kate insisted to come along. "Who will take care of me, once you're gone? How am I supposed to stay alone? How?", "You can take care of yourself. You're 17 Miss. Parker.", "16!", "Same thing.", he said as he went outside the cottage. "What? Wait!", she blocked his way and continued, "You owe me one! For spilling water on my face.", said Kate, as there was a second of silence. "Get your stuff, as fast as you can.", "Ok!", she said, as he finished his sentence.

They entered the city, on foot, and went to a dark place. "Quite dark, isn't it?", she said, as Stone gave her a cold shoulder. "And cold as well.", and still no reply from Stone. They reached a closed restaurant, in a corner. The glasses were closed by blindfolds and the lights were off as well. They met a man, who had several tattoos, on his head, hand, face, and almost everywhere. He was chewing something, and it seemed like a toothpick and Kate got nauseous. The man handed something to Stone, and Stone hid it in his bag. It was a black box, with a weird symbol.

As they were about to leave, the hooded man appeared out of nowhere. He didn't attack but spoke something in French. "Je suis Oliver.", "Bon à savior. Pourquoi es-tu ici?", "Pour te tuer. Vous deux.", said the man, as he pulled out a sword, and Stone pulled out his sword. "You have a sword? Since when?", "Ok, now, I need you to learn sword fighting. Just watch, and learn.", "That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard!", she said as the man was about to attack the two.