Chapter 22: Shifting

"Stop it!", Kate Screamed, out of breath. "Kate! Calm down!", said Cody, as he grabbed her face. She was much relieved to find herself with Cody, but her emotions changed, as she thought it was another horrible dream, like the one with Sasha. "You're not Cody.", "I am Cody, Kate!", "If you are Cody, then answer this.", asked Kate, "What do you do, when I don't pick up my call, and you think I'm in trouble?", "I call you until you pick up. And if you don't, I search for you, until you're found.", said Cody, without hesitating.

"No doubt he's a responsible brother.", said Caleb from behind. "Cody...", she said as she cried, and hugged him. "It's okay. I'm right here.", "She was in my head! She was speaking nonsense!", "I'm here now...", said Cody, "You should get some sleep Kate, we have to leave this place in the morning, to avoid more such incidents.", "My head is still spinning...", she said, "Get some sleep, it'll be all right.", said Stone, and immediately left the room.

"I don't want to be alone, Cody, she might-", "No. I'll be with you. Let's go.", said Cody. "I don't think I'll be able to get up...", said Kate, as Cody picked her up, and they went to Kate's room.

The very next morning, everyone left the house, and went to an open place, with the forest behind them, and a lake in front of them. "We're going to live here?", asked Caleb and Kate. "Yes.", "But it looks unsafe since there's a forest behind us...", said Kate. "It's not.", said Cody and Stone together. "There's no cottage here?", asked Steve.

"We're going to set up a tent.", said Stone. "A tent? This isn't Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, although the scene is quite relatable.", "It was Cody's idea.", said Stone. "Wow Cody, great.", said Caleb, as Kate and Caleb sat on a log beside them.

It was soon evening, and their snacks were almost over. "I'm hungry!", said Caleb. "And I'm sleepy...", said Kate as she wrapped her hands around Caleb's, and put her head on his shoulder. "Kate?", called out Caleb, but she was already asleep. "Uh, guys? Can we set a bed first, before I dislocate my shoulder?", said Caleb, as everyone laughed.

"Here, I set up a bed.", said Cody. "I have other work, so, just put her on the bed, and you get to work too.", said Cody, and left to get some wood. "Damn! She's heavy! Some help here guys?", he called out to Steve and Stone. "You don't really know how to lift someone do you?", asked Steve, "Uh, no?", "Very well then.", said Steve.

"Here, let me help.", said Stone, as he picked her up. Their faces were inches apart, and Stone just stared at her. "Hello? You going to keep her or something?", "Uhm, yes, yes.", he said as he kept Kate, and got back to work.

Cody had seen the whole thing and didn't let anyone know about what he thought. It was soon night, and it was extremely cold. It looked like it was about to snow. Everyone was wearing a coat and slept with it on.

Then suddenly, they heard a noise, and Stone, Steve and Cody woke up. "Hello? Anyone there?", called out Steve. Just then, a wolf jumped on Steve and started attacking him. Before it could harm Steve, Kate appeared out of nowhere and lifted the wolf in thin air. "Kate! What're you doing? You might hurt him!", screamed Cody. "Light up a fire on a stick! Quick!", she said, as Cody rushed to do what she said.

She put the wolf down and scared him away with the fire. "We're safe. But we still have to look out for more danger.", she said. "Stone, do you know how to put a shield over our tents?", asked Steve, "No, but I suppose, Miss. Parker might know how to do it.", "I do...", she said, as Steve and Cody just stared with confusion.

Kate then made a protection shield to protect them from incoming danger. "When did you learn this?", asked Cody. "Well... When you guys were on a vacation.", "Oh, nice.", said Cody. "Oh and, Cody, I want to talk to you.", "Oh, uhm. I guess...", said Cody, as they both went to a corner, near a log.