Chapter 4: Professor

Steve can teleport, teleportation, and Caleb can heal people, biotherapeutic manipulation", said Cody. "So it makes sense now! We're not alone, according to Mom's letter!" said Kate. "Nope", said Steve. "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's practice!", she said, and they started practicing.

They practised and practised all day long. Meanwhile, there was a rumour spread in the town that people were going missing and three men even died. The police suspected a 'mystery man' behind this crime, but couldn't catch him, not even with convincing shreds of evidence.

Sasha was fine and attended school with Kate the next day. "Have you heard the rumours?", asked Sasha. "What rumours?", "People are going missing girl! Where are you these days?", and saying that Sasha explained everything to Kate.

After Kate got home, she got a call from Caleb. He seemed tense as he said, "Kate, grab a backpack, stuff your important things inside, including your mom's letter, and come downstairs, as soon as possible!" She did exactly as Caleb said. She grabbed a backpack, put the letter inside, with her laptop, her phone, her headphones, and her bottle, and went downstairs.

Kate was still surprised, as everything happened so quickly. The phone call ended in less than a minute. As she went downstairs, she saw a big lock on Steve's house. She understood it was something serious.

Steve and Caleb were waiting outside near the car. When Kate got in, Steve drove away from the apartment. "I suppose you have heard the rumours, Kate? Of the mystery man of course.", asked Caleb. "Yes, Sasha told me in school today,", she said, "Does this have anything to do with us?", she asked. "Not just anything, everything.", Steve murmured to himself, and Kate heard it. "Where's Cody?", "We are going to pick him up.", said Caleb.

As they picked up Cody, Steve drove as fast as he could, and they reached a cottage in the middle of nowhere. When they were on the pathway of the cottage, Caleb said a few words and made a barrier outside the cottage to protect themselves when they were inside. "Since when can you do such things?", asked Cody. "Since forever, it's a part of healing.", said Caleb.

As they entered the cottage, they all were mesmerized by its ginormous size and its decorations. "Nice place to hide, isn't it?", said Caleb, "It's my botany cottage", he said. They saw a young man, sitting on an armchair, drinking something green. "Quite early, aren't you?", he said. "Sorry, we were stuck in traffic.", said Steve. "Everyone, this is Soren Stone, aka the 'mystery man'. He will be teaching us to control our powers.", said Steve.

Turns out, Soren Stone was Steve's neighbour in LA. He had moved to New York two years ago. Suddenly, Kate pulled the three into a conversation, excusing Soren Stone. "He is the 'mystery man' guys! Why on earth did you have to call him here? He is a murderer!", said Kate.

"Miss. Parker, I assure you I am no weird man.", said Stone in a robotic voice. "Um... Sorry, just a bit insecure, you know.", said Kate, totally embarrassed now. "I did kill three men, for my protection. They weren't men, just so you know. They were Blemmyes, a Greek term for the headless one,", he said, "But apart from that, I didn't hide or kidnap people, Miss. Parker.", he said, assuring Kate.

After the drama, Steve said "He is a few years elder than us. He's 21 and we are just some adults, well not Kate, -", "Hey! I'm nearly 17!", "Not an adult, Kate. Not, an adult.", said Cody. "Well, I may assure you, age is just a number, and it does not define my ability.... To do things,", said Stone. "And for the time being, Miss. Parker wouldn't mind, if she refers to me as Professor Stone, would you, Miss. Parker?", "No...? Professor sounds cool. I guess...", said Kate, confusingly. "The others can refer to me as Stone.", he said.

The next day, everyone woke up early and started practising. Kate couldn't help but notice one thing. While taking a bath, her eyes would turn red, and she would behave like a different person. She thought maybe it was because of her powers. But then it happened while cooking breakfast as well. Stone noticed that she was behaving stealthily like she had done something wrong. Later at lunch, while the others were having lunch outside, she bumped into Stone by mistake, and her eyes turned red. "Watch where you're going!", she said, as if she was insecure of him.

At night, after having dinner, she was heading towards her room when Stone appeared in front of her out of nowhere. "Oh, Professor Stone. I didn't see you there.", she said, pretending to stay normal. "Miss. Parker is there something I would like to know-", "No! I mean... No, not at all!", she said, thinking he would know her little secret.

"You didn't let me complete. Is there something I would like to know, like why you're acting differently? And why are your eyes turning red?", said Stone. Kate was completely surprised by what he said, but of course, she wouldn't want him to know that. "I don't know what you're talking about...", she said, trying to pretend to look confused. "You know what I mean, Miss. Parker.", he said, looking serious.