2. Winning Champ

"Kaira

"Kaira." Josh smiles as I open the door to my house.

I smile and hug him tight when he pulls me into a hug. "You're early."

"Surprise." Josh laughs as he lets me go and I move to let him in the house. "I couldn't go home first."

I roll my eyes. "Mom still never changes."

"No and after all these years she stills doesn't get the memo on the streamers and such." He grimaces.

"Uncle Josh!" Samuel's voice is heard first and my eyes catch up as he hugs Josh tight.

"Hey champ." Josh laughs and hugs him back. "I got a important question for you."

Samuel lets him go and looks up. "What is that?"

"Did someone do well with his school work the last half year and get high grades?"

Samuel nods. "Yes and you can see my report card on the fridge."

Josh smiles and looks to me. I give him a smile and nod telling him Samuel's grades were very good.

"In that case." Josh stops and bends down to his bag. He pulls out a small package and Samuel bounces in his spot. "We need to play this new racing game."

"No way, Uncle Josh! How did you get the new Road of Race? It isn't supposed to come out until the first."

"Champ, it is the second." Josh laughs.

Samuel looks at the calendar then frowns. "I didn't mark my 'x' on it for two days."

I pat his back. "We had a busy two days."

Samuel shrugs. "Can I go play it Mama? Please."

"Have you done your homework?" I ask and he nods. "Okay go ahead but only for an hour."

"Deal." Samuel smiles and takes off to the living room where his game system is set up.

"Want a cup of coffee?"

"Sounds good." Josh nods so I walk to the kitchen. "How is the Diner doing?"

"Good as normal. Kate is closing tonight."

"How is she?"

"Same as always." I laugh and he joins. "Got her a new girlfriend."

He nods. "That is great to hear."

Kate and I have been friends for the longest time. She was my support through the recovering part to the accident along with Josh when Mom was more just doing her own thing. Kate even followed me here as I moved a long ways from my hometown before starting this diner here.

"How are you feeling with your big day coming up?"

I smile and hand him the cup of coffee then take mine. "It is coming along great and Sadie knows what she is doing for sure making it all easy. Daryl is happy."

"What about you though because that statement didn't tell me how you are handling it?"

I sigh. "I am happy but just recently been hitting harder how it isn't happening like I thought it would."

Josh frowns and gives me a knowing look. "That is one reason why I wanted to get here before the wedding and also before the date."

My eyes get a bit blurry as I think of the dreaded date that will mark the full tenth year since the accident.

"Do you love Daryl?" Josh asks suddenly.

"I do." I nod. "It just isn't the same or as passionate."

"It won't be baby sis. Nothing compares to the true love but if it is close and he makes you happy then that is what I want for you and Samuel."

"Thank you." I smile and he rubs my arm. "It is funny Daryl knows all this and how I feel."

"What does he think and say?"

"He says it doesn't bother him at all. That he was happy when we had talked about it well before he ever proposed."

"When are you two moving in together?"

"After the wedding." I slowly nod as I think over what Daryl and I had talked about.

Josh nods.

"So what about you?" I ask Josh needing to change the topic.

"Same old." He shrugs.

"No one to catch your eye?"

"Nope. I been having fun with the bar bunnies though."

I grimace. "Ew." Making Josh laugh hard and shrug.

"You asked."

"Shouldn't have." I take a drink of the coffee and Josh takes his with him to the living room to play with Samuel.

I smile as I watch them play the video game before I start to make dinner. Going for an easy meal, I throw some veggies on a tray then drizzle a little oil over it with some seasonings before placing in the oven along with some nuggets in the air fryer.

"Dinner is done." I call out and watch as Samuel and Josh are moving the control sticks whisper shouting to each other with elbows nudging each other to try and distract from the race. I laugh lightly and set the plates on the table before walking to the couch behind them. "Dinner's ready." I say between them and they jump looking at me, making me laugh.

"No fair I was winning before you scared me." Samuel smiles at me then the screen.

I hum. "Come on then winning champ, your nuggets and veggies await."

He laughs and gets up from the couch.

I smile and shake my head at Josh. "You know you don't have to let him win everything right?"

Josh opens his mouth. "I would never."

I hum again. "Sure."

"Actually this time he was giving me a hard time he was literally winning without me letting him." Josh laughs and I join him.

"Now you know how I feel then."

Josh laughs harder. "You never were able to learn video games."

"That is a whole lot of hand eye coordination that I don't have. One reason I stick to reading books and cooking."

Samuel comes to the table from washing his hands and digs into the food. I place him a glass of mik down and he thanks me as he continues eating. Once he is done he asks to play more so I tell him he can until it is time to get ready for bed.

"Need help?" Josh follows me as I place the dishes in the sink.

"No I got this. The spare sheets are in the closet."

"Thanks. I will get those out and the spare bedroom set up." Josh smiles and I nod.

My phone pings and I walk over to see a message from Kate. I spend a few minutes talking with her before cleaning the kitchen as she lets me know the Diner has been closed up for the night.