9. The Park

At this point I am not sure where my emotions will land

At this point I am not sure where my emotions will land. It has been a never ending circle spin with how I feel since seeing Erik. One the spinning wheel anger, longing, love, happiness, and nerves all have equal spaces. As for which feeling it lands on depends on the thought fleeting through my mind.

My hope is that we actually get to talk. We need to talk.

Just like I have to talk with Daryl.

The time passes as I take orders and tend to customers. All the time I can feel as Erik's eyes are on me and it heats me which make me feel sad since it is something Daryl's gaze never done.

As I place plates down, the back door to the kitchen opens. "Hi Mama I am here." Samuel walks out.

"Hi champ." I wave and he goes back to the office area as normal so I follow. "Homework?"

"Not today." He smiles and places his backpack down. "The bus ride was loud today. Could I just sit in here with my game?"

"Sure." I nod and he gets his device from my desk. "I will be done once the others come in for their shift."

He nods.

"Hungry?"

"No, we had pizza for lunch today."

I smile and nod. "Give me twenty minutes and we will be out of here." I kiss his head and then make way back out front.

My eyes look over and I see that Daryl and Erik have put their papers up and are standing from the booth they have been in all day. Erik walks over where I am cleaning the bar counter from a customer that just left and he smiles.

"Could I come back at closing time so we can talk?"

My goodness he has buffed up and no longer the skinny boy I seen him as last. Sure he had some muscles then but they are definitely more defined now.

"Sure but I am leaving soon but can come back."

He nods and leaves the diner. Daryl steps up though and gives a sad smile. "Samuel good?"

I nod. "Yes he is in the back and playing some video game."

Daryl nods with a smile. "May we talk? I don't have any other work today after Erik."

I look at the time again and just then my other two workers come in and wave. "Sure it would be the perfect time."

Kate walks by and I see her with her bag. "Kate?"

"Yup." She smiles and winces.

"Could you take Samuel to my house? Josh should be there."

"Why don't I just take him with me to my apartment? It has been a long time since I got to spend time with him."

"Let me make sure he is good with it." I nod since it is a Friday I am fine with it.

I walk to the office and Samuel looks up. "Hey would you like to spend some time with Kate?"

He nods quick. "I would it has been a long time since I got to play video games with Kate."

"Great because I got that new one." Kate smiles when she pops up. Samuel grabs his backpack. "Then we can have a junk food dinner."

"Kate." I start and she laughs.

"Kidding but definitely having burgers." She laughs. "Then we will indulge with chips and candy."

I sigh and shake my head. "I will be there to pick you up sometime tonight."

Samuel nods.

"Don't rush it babe." Kate rubs my back.

"I got to do quite a bit."

"You had a day that was unexpected." Kate nods.

"I am going to speak with Daryl first and I am not sure what will happen." I shake my head then look to Samuel. "You know to text me or call me from Kate's phone if you need me or ready to come home okay?"

"I know Mama." He nods once again.

"I won't hestiate to drop everything."

"I know." He smiles and then hugs me. I hug him tighter and then release him.

"By the way, we will be talking soon." I narrow my eyes looking back to Kate.

"Not guilty." Kate kisses my cheek and then high tails it from my office with my son following my laughing friend.

I shake my head and Tary walks over. "She means well and told me. How are you doing?"

"Thinking I may need a shot of vodka at this point." I sigh. "There is so much to talk about with both Daryl and Erik along with my mother then eventually Samuel."

"Let your heart guide you." Tary starts and I give a 'come on really' look to which he puts his hands up. "That is the only wise words I got." He laughs.

The others bring in new papers and place them on the counter for Tary and he looks over them. "Back to cooking I go." He smiles to be back to work.

With my bag in hand, I make it out to the front an Daryl smiles softly once again. "Where should we go?"

He rubs his head. "The park?"

"Sounds good. I will meet you there." I nod and walk outside to my car where I follow in behind him.

The drive does nothing to ease my mind and I am just as confused as we park the cars. My feet get out and I walk to where there are benches clear and away from others at the park. The weather has a slight chill to the air but it helps my mind to clear immediately from the turning thoughts.

At this pont I am not sure what will happen or what to do. There is so many questions going through my mind from the car crash and I am not sure if all of them will be answered but even if half of them are I think I would be okay with not understanding the rest of the answers.

Taking a seat, Daryl joins me but keeps a slight distance between us.

"I think we should call the wedding off." He states and I close my mouth from where I was fixing to ask him how he thought of things.