36. Tenderly

"Are you sure they can meet here and not somewhere in town?" I tap my fingers on my thigh as I sit on the stool in Kaira's kitchen

She turns from the stove and nods. "Yes I am sure. I don't know how Samuel will actually do when he meets them and I rather him be in a place he feels the most comfortable too, not to make it awkward."

"If they say one thing though they are getting the boot." I point to the door.

"Erik." Kaira looks to me again and sighs.

"What?" I tilt my head.

"I thought things were better since your mom has told you the truth on things."

"Still doesn't change how they lied and done things right after the accident and I would have rather known they been trying to help all these years." I huff and her eyes soften. "I still get very sour over the years we lost."

"Which I understand but since we are together now and I would hope many years to come let's focus on that instead."

I nod and she leans over the kitchen counter. Our lips touching briefly before she stands back up and smiles. "Now no more pouting or else I have to keep kissing you."

"That isn't motivation to stop pouting." I smirk.

"But then dinner will burn."

I sigh and pout once more to which she laughs and leans over again giving me a kiss. I pull back and smile. "I guess I will let you get back to cooking because I don't want to be blamed for the burned food."

"I would never." She places her hand on her chest and we laugh. "Tonight after they leave though you could stay longer."

I wiggle my eyebrows and smirk. "Sounds like my fun."

She laughs as she turns back to the stove but not before I catch her cheeks heating a red color. I stand from the stool and walk to the living room where Samuel is pressing buttons on his controller.

"Winning?"

For once he huffs. "No. I can't pass this level."

I sit next to him on the couch and smile. "It is harder without a second player."

"How do you know?" Samuel pauses the game and looks over with shock.

"It is a game I helped Davis design several years back." I laugh. I go about explaining he needs to get to a hidden door on the top of the building that he is opposite of to find the level up token.

"I been stuck on this level for a week."

"You got it now." I ruffle his hair then stand back up just as the doorbell rings.

"Time to put this away but thank you now I can go back to it next time I play." Samuel smiles and turns off his the gaming system.

Kaira walks to the door and I stand by her as she opens it.

"My, how you have become a beautiful woman." Mom smiles at Kaira.

"Thank you Kay. Please come in." Kaira waves them in.

"These are for you." Mom hands her a vase with flowers in it.

"Thank you." Kaira smiles. "Dinner will be ready soon."

"A nice drive here." Dad smiles and then pats my back.

"Kay. Daniel." Kaira smiles and motions Samuel over. "This is Samuel. Samuel this is Kay and Daniel, your grandparents."

Mom pulls Samuel into a hug and Dad pats his back. "You are so handsome and look like Erik." Mom pulls back and looks at Samuel with a large smile. "This is for you." Mom holds a small gift bag to him.

Samuel opens the bag and there lays a teddy bear. "Thank you." He smiles.

"I know it is small but I wasn't sure what you might like."

"This is cute." Samuel smiles.

"Come in and have a seat. Can I get you both anything to drink?" Kaira wrings her hands together as I place a hand on her lower back, she relaxes instantly.

"No thank you." Dad shakes his head and Mom does the same.

"How have you been doing?" Mom follows Kaira to the kitchen as she picks the vase of flowers back up from the side table and walks to the kitchen.

"I have been good." Kaira and Mom get to talking about everything she has accomplished as Dad stays with Samuel and I.

"So what is it you like to do Samuel?" Dad asks.

Samuel goes on explaining he interests and Dad knowing a bit of video games is able to carry on conversation with him. Mom comes over and joins in the conversation while telling Samuel things I done at his age. Leaving them to talk as things seem to be going smooth, I walk to the kitchen.

"What's wrong?" I whisper behind Kaira making her jump lightly as she sniffs.

"Nothing." She mumbles and washes her hands after patting her eyes with a paper towel.

"Did Mom say something?"

"No." She shakes her head.

I spin her to face me, placing my finger under her chin to raise her head to look at me. "Talk to me, milkshake."

She takes a deep breath. "Just everything hitting me I guess."

I move my hands to her waist as my thumbs rub circles over her shirt.

"Samuel seems to be handling things well as they are talking. Your mom had apologized for what they caused after the accident as her eyes landed on my scar since I didn't cover it up today. My mind just started going over how happy we have been since seeing you again just a couple months ago. It has felt like such a long time but only a short time."

I pull her to me and hug her tight as I kiss over the scar. "We have a lifetime together to share."

She nods and I pull back to kiss her tenderly as the refrigerator hides us.

A timer goes off and we break apart. "Stay tonight?"

"I wouldn't be anywhere else." I peck her lips once more before letting her take her dish from the oven.

I wash my hands and help her finish up the food. "Dinner is ready." Kaira calls out and Samuel skips in with a smile on his face.

"Having fun?" I smile and he nods.

"They are actually cool and know most of the video games plus was telling me about some of the bicycle trails where you grew up."

I smile and sit next to Kaira as we all take seats around the table where her and I placed the food.

"This is the best beef casserole ever, please share your recipe." Mom hums and they get to talking about food while Dad, Samuel, and I talk about golf and the logics to that sport.

" Mom hums and they get to talking about food while Dad, Samuel, and I talk about golf and the logics to that sport