27. Like Old Times

Right before our lips touch, a stinging pain comes over my butt

Right before our lips touch, a stinging pain comes over my butt. "Ow." I jump and press into Erik tighter.

A bouncing sound catches my attention before Erik starts laughing. The pitching machine having thrown a ball with a harder pitch than before and much faster apparently as another ball comes flying out within mere seconds of the last one.

Erik laughs and pulls me out of the way. "Seems the speed is automatically going up."

Ball after ball seems to be flying from the machine and I squeal. "Quick turn it off."

"I can't get to it with how fast they are coming out." Erik laughs and I duck behind him.

"I will use you as cover as I push you to the machine."

"What? No that's not fair." Erik turns to me as we hide in the corner away from the flying balls. I jump each time it hits the cage next to us to bounce on the floor by our feet.

"I done got hit in the butt by one so your turn."

"I got a better idea." Erik takes my hand and starts to count. "Come on." He laughs and we run in between the pitches to the other side where the cage door is located.

Making it out, we close the door and he walks around the batting cage, flipping a switch that shuts the machine off.

Hand in hand, we walk out to the front where Erik stops. He talks with the woman behind the counter and then hands over some cash before she hands him a couple small cardstock pieces. With a nod, he takes my hand again and we make it out to the truck.

"What is that?" I point to where he places the pieces.

He hands them to me and then turns the light on within the cab.

There in my hand is two pictures. One of us holding the bat together and then the other is when he is holding me close to him with his hands on my cheeks where it was captured just right with us looking at one another.

"I didn't know." I stutter.

"It was an option that the camera inside the batting cage would capture some images every ten minutes. The other one of us was blurry from moving around during that shot but these came out so the woman printed them out for us since I had agreed to that option."

I smile." I love these."

"We will get you a couple made then." Erik smiles then places them in his comparement before turning the light back out and starting the truck. "One last stop and this date will be perfect."

"Okay?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

He drives and I just soak the time in that I have had with him. Things seem so effortless being with him.

A laugh comes from me when I see we are parked in front of the Diner. "Wouldn't be able to end our date without making sure you have a milkshake."

I shake my head and we make it inside the Diner within a minute.

"You look dashing." Kate comes up and winks to us. "What can I get you two?"

"May we get some milkshakes?" Erik smiles and Kate laughs.

She hums. "I guess I can get those for you." Her laughter follows. "Strawberry and chocolate?" She points to each of us and we nod. "Shouldn't have even bothering asking." Kate sasses and turns around.

Erik pulls me over and we sit in a booth. "So have you had fun or should I scrape the old notebook and come up with all new ideas so we aren't doing similiar things like we used to do?"

"I love tonight, Erik. Thank you." I smile. "Don't scrape the notebook but I am shocked you still have it."

He smiles. "Maybe I will add things more grown up to it."

"Don't." I shake my head. "I enjoyed tonight and any of the others that might be in there."

"So you want to go on another date?" He smirks.

"As if that is even a question." I roll my eyes and he laughs lightly.

"Here you go." Kate brings over the shakes and Erik hands her some cash. "Have fun and remember to wrap it."

I choke on the sip I was taking and feel as my cheeks flame.

Erik takes my hand and we get up from the booth. As we walk back to the door, I wave over to Daryl as he is surrounded by papers and a cup of coffee. He smiles wide and waves back with a thumbs up.

As the drive back is talking over some random topics as he makes it back to my house. I notice that Josh's truck is in the drive and the lights in the living room filter through the sheer curtain.

"Thank you for tonight." I smile looking over to Erik.

"You never need to thank me." He smiles and helps me out of the truck while I hold the rest of my shake.

We walk up to the front door and I smile turning to him.

"Text me when you make it home?"

"You know it." Erik nods.

Just as he steps up to me and cups my cheeks once again, my eyes goes to his lips. How I miss the feeling touch of his kiss.

Then the front door flies open. "Hey now." Josh puts his hands on his hip with a wide smile.

"Josh!" I push Josh as Erik and I had jumped apart.

"What?" Josh chuckles holding his stomach before standing up. "Got to keep it real just like old times. Besides there is a bed in here to make babies in, not outside."

I shake my head then turn to Erik. "Thank you for tonight."

"Always, milkshake." Erik smiles and I walk into the house, pushing Josh again.

Josh grabs his coat and tells me Samuel is in his bed asleep before leaving for his truck to go home. Erik telling him he see him there.

I close the front door and leans against it for a moment before taking my coat off. Right after I remove my shoes a knock sounds light, I open the door and Erik stands there.

"I forgot something." He whispers and then moves in cupping my cheeks.

His lips touching mine in a tender kiss. Lasting only a few seconds before he pulls back and smirks at my dazed expression no doubt.

"Text you soon." He smiles and pecks my lips once more before closing the door behind him.