47. Toy Ring

Utterly paradise

Utterly paradise.

The last four months has been the best of my life. Living with my son and the love of my life.

Once Kaira and I woke up had breakfast with Samuel, we went to the apartment and picked the belongings I owned to bring them to the house. I was here with her when she tested, which came back negative, for pregnancy right before her cycle came and went after our vacation accident but since then we have made sure to use protection.

The doorbell goes off and I walk over. Opening the door, I smile.

"Your watchers is here for the day." Daryl smiles.

"I can go with that, sounds much better than baby sitters." Josh chuckles.

"Come in guys." I move out of the way. "Samuel will be out soon he was putting up his laundry."

"You ready to have a date day with Kaira?" Josh smiles wide and I shake my head.

"She just left five minutes ago for the Diner. Kate was short help with Mason out having no voice."

They nod.

"Stay though, please. Samuel has been excited to be able to spend the day with both of you."

"Sounds like fun playing video games since I got nothing else to do." Josh smiles.

"I'm pushing work away for the weekend and my boyfriend is working today but we plan on once he is off spending time together." Daryl shrugs with a smile.

"Hi." Samuel waves and they both greet him.

We all four start up a racing game and the time passes by until we pause for some leftover pizza.

"So what do you want for your birthday?" Josh looks to Samuel then laughs when Samuel does a double take at the question. "I rather get a head start."

"Uncle Josh that's still a month away. Halloween is first and I'm excited for the diners annual dress up food dinner."

"Which is exciting to be going to this year." Josh nods while I agree.

"I know one thing I want and been waiting to happen." Samuel perks back up and we all wait to hear it. "You proposing to Mama."

My mouth drops open as he looks at me then shrugs.

"I been waiting for you too. So that is what I want to be able to see you propose to Mama. I heard how her and Kate were talking about weddings since Kate is getting married to her girlfriend, Kate had teased Mama about it and she said she would love to marry her 'one true love'." Samuel smiles and uses air quotes. "I would like that too it sounds like fun to see you marry." 

"Erik has my blessing. Has since coming back." Josh smirks.

"Unless your not wanting too?" Daryl squints looking at me.

Once I swallow from taking in the slight ambush I chuckle. "I have been wanting to for a long time and knew I wanted too just wasn't sure when to ask her or how to propose."

"Do you have a ring? That would probably be the best starting place for the steps of proposing." Daryl asks with a smirk, then takes a bite of pizza.

"Not a toy ring either." Josh laughs.

"Ha. Ha." I shake my head at Josh. "Yes I have a ring. It's one I bought years ago because I had hoped I would find her and be able to ask."

"Really?" Samuel sits up straighter and I nod. "Can I see it? I promise I won't tell Mama."

I get up and walk to the hidden spot I found within a hollow figure on the shelf by the TV. Turning the piece over, the box falls out into my hand. Taking the box back to the table I place it by Samuel and smile with a nod of my head to open it.

"Wow." Samuel stares at the ring.

Daryl whistles.

"That is something." Josh chuckles.

"Mama may have to be caught from falling down." Samuel laughs.

"I agree there she may faint." Josh joins him.

"Mighty piece you found there Erik." Daryl smiles and pats my back.

"Thanks." I feel a bit of heat in my cheeks. "I've looked at it back and forth for a long time and wondered if it would be enough. Then when thinking of how to propose my mind just goes haywire." I rub my neck.

"You know she will accept it." Daryl laughs lightly.

"I am lost on how to propse." Josh frowns when I look over to him.

"I know how." Samuel raises his hand.

"How?" I smile.

"The Halloween dinner thing." Samuel smiles. "We could all watch you do it since after the customers are gone from the Diner, Mama has it for all of us have fun just all friends within the area where we normally play some type of games that are themed for the holiday."

Josh points to Samuel. "He has a point and it would be unexpected. Kaira would know if you take her on a fancy date."

"She knew when I was going to propose because it was so original and not spontaneous but within a fancy resturant an hour from here." Daryl chuckles. "I like Samuel's idea too."

"Plus it will be funny with us all dressed up." Samuel squirms in his chair and the rest of us groan with the thought of costumes. "I am going as superman this year. Have you guys picked out customes?"

"Not even close." Josh grimaces.

"I think Kaira has ours planned."

"I'm going as a pirate."

"You done that last year Daryl." Samuel gives him a pointed look. "Time to pick something new."

"Then I got nothing." His sigh is dragged out.

I get up from the chair and put the ring back in its hidden spot. Turning, I see Josh cleaning the paper plates up from lunch. Samuel skips back to the couch and smiles.

"Game time?"

We all agree with him and pass more time away as we see who can win racing games or get the most points with a bike stunt game, to only tease the others. By the time it is dark out, Josh and Daryl wave before leaving for the day.

"What do you want for dinner?" I look to Samuel as we move to the kitchen to start cooking so it is ready by time Kaira makes it in.

"This?" He points to a picture from a cook book in the counter.

"Seems easy enough." I start to read the ingredients and pull them to sit on the counter.

As I start cooking, Samuel leaves to watch tv on the couch. My mind has slowed and now excitement sets in with proposing to Kaira.