6. The Stove

"Boss

"Boss." Tary calls me just as I go to take the last step but I turn my head to face him. "I need to talk to you a moment." The look on his face tells me it is serious.

"Sure." I go to walk towards him. "I'm sorry give me a few minutes please." I barely turn my head to see Daryl with where I already stepped back again.

Daryl nods and Kate rubs my arm as I pass her.

"I will get their drink order." She whispers.

"Thanks."

I walk to the back and go through the door to the kitchen. "What's up?"

Tary holds his hand and I notice some redness.

"What happen?!"

"That stove again this time I turned it on the low setting and it had a scent to it and now it won't turn off."

My eyes widen and I look over to see the eye is still on and the knob is off. "Get that under some cold water." I nudge Tary that way and he gets to tending to the small burn.

My hands pull the stove out and I unplug it. The light on the eye slowly going down as there is no power to it. With it off and no risk to my Diner burning down, I walk back over to Tary. "How is it?"

"Just a little sore but shouldn't even blister." He smiles looking over to me.

"Let me get the number for the tech again." I shake my head and go to my office. I call the number and get through quickly.

"So the tech said." I stop and stare at Tary. "What are you doing?"

"Cooking?" He smirks with a confused look on his face.

"You just got a burn and you are already on the second stove cooking."

"Yeah there are hunger customers."

"You should go see a doctor and rest the hand."

"Not happening." Tary laughs lightly. "It is the side of my wrist so it isn't affecting my fingers. Plus I wrapped it up as you can see." He lifts it for more of a see. "I just will stay away from that stove until the tech gets here and you can't be back here cooking with the morning rush it takes two people out front then one cooking minimum."

"Fine I will cook and you serve."

"Nice try but I can cook just fine. Carrying plates however, you know I will drop them because that is a talent I don't have is carrying so many at once like you others can." He laughs.

"As long as you are sure."

"I am." Tary smirks. "Don't worry so much doll."

I shake my head and roll my eyes. "Let me know if you need to go to the doctor."

"If I do then that makes me a pansy for something so small."

I roll my eyes and get my notepad back.

"Everything okay?" Kate comes through the door.

We tell her what happened and not to use that stove until the tech tells us it is fixed and I hope fixed completely this time.

"I got Daryl and his client there drinks." Kate looks to me and I see something strange on her features.

"What?"

Kate shakes her head but the smile is forced. "Something you need to see because if I speak it you would not believe me Kaira."

I feel as my forehead scrunches in confusion but she points to the doors. "I will be right here if you need me." She moves her hands. "You will need this and I am sure that Daryl will keep it safe but I got the front covered." I take the milkshake she holds and sip it lightly. "Trust me you may want it to be vodka."

I shake my head. "It is early in the morning for your theatrics girl."

Kate frowns and then places her notepad down with the first papers torn off as she talks to Tary about the food but her eyes seem to follow me at the same time.

Milkshake and notepad in hand, I walk out the doors and see Daryl as he smiles when looking to me come back out. I take a once over and see everyone else in the diner is happy and seemingly content as none call or wave me over.

"Hey sorry about that it has turned out to be a crazy morning." I look down at the notepad while flipping to a clear page with my thumb as Daryl takes my milkshake. "Thanks. Now what can I get yo..." I look up and stop. "Where is your client? I hope he hasn't minded the wait."

Darly smiles. "Not at all. He went to the restroom."

"Oh good there was an issue with the stove this morning again." I shake my head lightly which makes my ponytail tickle my neck. "So I can come back when he gets back to place the order."

"Sure that sounds good." Daryl nods.

I step over so that I am right in front of Daryl. "Could you hold this for me? Kate was adament about it this morning in a way."

"Sure and she does this a couple times a month but she knew of the stove too so maybe the shake was to help lessen the effects of it causing troubles."

"You are probably right there because it never fails that." My words get stopped and I turn my head.

"Kaira?" Tary frowns with a wave.

"I'm sorry. This morning has been hectic, I will get Kate to come back out and serve you and your client." I sigh and Daryl takes my shake.

"I understand but I think you and I should talk soon." Daryl mumbles and I frown when I see a sad smile on his face. That is rare.

"Okay." I nod but something sets in the pit of my stomach at his solemn face.

I get behind the door and Tary forces a smile. "Sorry but the tech has to speak with you and if he is an ass one more time I will punch him out."

I pat his arm. "I got him." Tary nods and then goes over to the other stove opposite wall. "Kate can you serve Daryl and his client? I didn't get a chance to get their orders the client was away from the table at the time."

"Sure." She nods and I turn to face the tech.