18. Just Pout

"Is it time to leave yet?" Samuel asks again within the span of ten minutes

"Yes let's go and we will just be there a couple minutes early." I smile at my son's enthusiasm.

He grabs his coat and puts it on while I do the same. The entire drive to the park, Samuel is quiet but I glance in the rear view mirror to see him smiling.

I park the car and we get out. "What about the bench over there?" I point and he nods.

We walk towards it and his questions come back.

"I wonder what he drives."

"He could be walking." I suggest.

"Is he tall?"

"Taller than me yes." I laugh lightly.

"I'm so excited this is happening."

"So am I baby. So am I." I smile and sit on the bench just as I look up I see Erik walking towards us.

Samuel squirms where he sits and I place my hand on his back. It calms him slightly and I see his cheeks and ears up with his wide smile.

"Samuel, this is Erik." I smile and look up to Erik. "Erik this is Samuel, our son."

Erik squats down and smiles wide. "Hi, Samuel."

"Hi." Samuel waves. "So I have your eyes. I hope I get your height."

I laugh and pat his back. Erik laughs and nods.

"Yeah, your mom has always been a shortie."

"Hey now. You two don't get to gang up on me." I laugh lightly.

"It's funny how I am over half your height." Samuel giggles.

"My height isn't something I got a choice in but I may just pout if I'm going to be teased."

"Peace offering then." Erik hands the cup he was carrying over and I smile seeing its the ones we have at the diner.

I take a sip as the rich but smooth chocolate coats my taste buds. A quiet laugh escapes me before I shake my head. With a smile I look over to Erik and he smirks with a shrug.

"Flowers never made you happy."

I shake my head once again.

They are beautiful but I don't like how they don't last long. Although I have the very first flower Erik ever gave me since I had preserved it carefully with some resin. It still looks new and fresh pink daisy. A piece I keep on my nightstand to see it daily.

"This is for you." Erik hands a bag to Samuel. "Not sure if you will like it or not."

"Thanks. You shouldn't have though because meeting you is just the best gift when thinking about it." Samuel pauses.

"We know baby." I rub his back and then drink a bit more on the chocolate shake.

A bit of sadness running through. All these years we could've been together and happy. My only hope it that everything else that transpires is nothing but happiness for the three of us.

Samuel opens the bag and his gasp has me curious. He pulls out a collectors toy, I raise an eyebrow looking to Erik.

"Josh may have told me just a few things to calm me." Erik gives a shy smile.

"You shouldn't be nervous." I frown and stand up as Samuel studies over the toy.

"I do though because I want to be in his life but I was wanting him to like me." Erik whispers in my ear.

With a shake of my head. "Samuel is easy going and prefers to spend time with people. Even while he is appreciative of any toy or game." 

He nods slowly and releases a breath.

"Thanks so much for this. This is one I don't have at all and never seen before. I'll have to show you my collection and stuff but if you look at this I can point out all the differences that makes it unique." Samuel pipes up and smiles so wide as his brown eyes shine.

"I'm glad you like it." Erik smiles and relaxes even further.

"I got questions." Samuel states and pats the bench next to him.

Erik stiffens.

My phone rings and I see it is the Diner number. "I have to take this." I answer it and bid a greeting with asking for a moment. Then lean to Erik, "Don't be nervous." Watching Erik and Samuel I smile. "I will walk over there a moment."

Samuel and Erik nod. I walk over and hold the phone up to my ear.

"Hey. Everything okay?"

'Sorry to bother you today but we are needing some help here.' Tary sighs. 'Kate is waiting everything out front with Terry but it's the weekend rush.'

"Where did Lola go?"

'She walked out. Which Terry needs to leave for the day, she is having to wear sunglasses due to the headache she has.'

I roll my eyes, Lola had been one to cause troubles in the past. This isn't the first time she has walked out and I have rehired her a handful of times. All because Kate or I tell her to leave her phone in the locker or else she is on it hiding behind the counter while on the clock. Not to mention after working for two years with the Diner she still gets orders wrong or places the plates with the wrong customers.

"Okay I'll be coming in. Terry needs to go home and rest."

'See you soon.' Tary bids and I hang up.

I walk back over and give a tight smile. "So I need to go into the Diner to work."

"Okay." Samuel shrugs.

"What does he do when you work and he isn't in school?" Erik frowns.

"Either he is with Kate, Daryl or will play on his video game in the office unless Josh watches him. The daycare centers around here are over full."

"I didn't like the one I had gone to before." Samuel mumbles. "It is to loud so I'm glad I got to big to be in that place."

I laugh then pat his back while he stands next to me.

"How about if I stay with him?"

"Really!" Samuel bounces once.

"As long as it is okay with your Mom." Erik smiles at him then looks to me.

I nod. "I'm okay with it."

"Besides it will be great for us to spend more time together." Erik smiles and Samuel nods.