14. Caramel

For the first time in over a decade there is this happiness that has bloomed witihin my chest where the sadness had laid

For the first time in over a decade there is this happiness that has bloomed witihin my chest where the sadness had laid. I open the door and close it behind me as I take my shoes and coat off inside my home before seeing Josh sitting at the counter with his laptop open and the house otherwise quiet.

"Samuel in bed?"

Josh nods. "He has been asleep for about an hour now. At first he was adamant with staying up to his bed time but then he started yawning and gave it up."

I laugh lightly and nod. "I set the later bedtime for the weekend but he rarely ever makes it."

"How was it?"

I sigh and lean on the counter in front of my big brother. "It was nice. I did give him your number."

Josh smirks. "I know that much since I already got a text from him."

"He works quick." I laugh and Josh nods.

"I can't imagine what he has been through. You both have been hurting this entire time." Josh sighs then shakes his head. "Mom had called and I spoke with her after Samuel went to bed."

"What did she have to say?"

"Only that she will be returning back home in the morning with something coming up with her job. Plus she had to tell me about all these houses for sell there."

"Why would she be worried about that?"

"Because she had heard when I was tending to a phone call and I am out. So now I am looking for a place to live."

"What! Why didn't you tell me? You been in the navy for so many years."

Josh nods and laughs. "I was going to tell you but things have been a whirl wind for you with everything today. I just feel like it is time to do something new with my life. The plan is to find something around this area because I could work with some boats engines unlike back at our hometown there isn't much for me to do."

"So you are looking to live here?" I smile and he nods.

"That is the plan just needing to find a little place or apartment." He shrugs. "You, my baby sister, and my nephew are here too so it is a bonus too since it happens to be nicer weather."

"Oh is that all." I laugh and he joins me.

"That and other than our hometown this is the only other place I know people at."

"What about the friends you had?"

He snorts a shakes his head. "All three of them live in cities in different parts of the states. I don't plan on dressing up in a suite everyday for work so boat work is the way to go for me. Besides from the text here I got one buddy living here too." Josh shakes his phone and I see the icon for Erik up.

I turn and grab the ice cream container and a spoon from the freezer. Not like I didn't have enough ice cream earlier in the day. I seriously have a major problem with the amount I digest but don't see that ever stopping.

"What?" I tilt my head and Josh stares at me.

"Did he sweep you off your feet?"

I let out a slow breath. "We talked and he knows that Samuel is his child."

"Take it well?"

I nod. "He did and would like to meet him. Even be in his life from the way it was said. Before that just a little bit on how been doing. It wasn't very long of talking as you can tell with the time."

Josh gets up and hugs me before going back around the counter and grabbing his laptop. "You two will be back together before you know it."

"Josh we don't know that." I state and can feel as a frown is the only thing my lips want to do.

My hopes would be we would be together as I still love him but the years that has passed I have to get to know him again. Our love will really stand the test of time to show if true love or not. That is if he wants it too.

"You two are the couple everyone wanted to be and jealous over when you guys were in high school. Heck, I don't know much about love or can say I don't know a thing but I can tell you this I never seen you so happy than when you were with him. The way you guys looked at each other with that whole hearts in the eyes babble and such. It is a look that is rare to see couples have together and I been around a lot of people."

I eat on the ice cream and still try to tell myself to take it slow and just see.

"Give it time and when I turn out to be right I would like the reward I get for being right a large bowl of the macaroni salad." Josh smirks and walks to the hallway.

"You don't know if we will get back together." I roll my eyes at his antics.

"Just you wait and see. It is there in your eyes still talking about him and I know he probably looks the same. Like I have said your love with him is unique and Erik being Erik won't let you go easily knowing your here. The man didn't stop for the last eight years and he won't now. Pretty sure he could be taking things slowly but not giving up. He knows this isn't easy for you either after a shock and it is only the first day."

"You know you are awfully mushy for someone who doesn't have a clue about romance." I state and take another bite of ice cream.

His smirk grows. "Great, so make that an extra large on the food."

"Whatever." I roll my eyes with a smile. "You know how to make it too."

"But it is never the same as yours." Josh smiles and I laugh.

"Whatever." I laugh and he waves bidding night before walking to the guest bedroom.

I put the pint of creamy delicious back in the freezer and clean the spoon before putting it up. Caramel is a girls best friend in the form of ice cream but maybe it should have been something chocolate. With a sigh, I walk down the hall and open Samuel's door seeing he is asleep, so I close his door back and go to my bedroom.

Within a short time, I am in bed and think over today. So much has happened within just one day and I can't wait to see how things go. A smile on my face, I set my alarm and curl down in the bed as darkness slowly takes over.

 A smile on my face, I set my alarm and curl down in the bed as darkness slowly takes over