53. Cake

"Hey

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey." I get out quick like a broken record that is stuck.

How in the sane video games can such small people be so fierce? Where does their strength come from? Because I work out a minimum of five days a week but all these children are pushing me back like it is nothing.

Hands grab my arm and guides me from the middle of the crowd. Laughter reaching me and I hold my chest while I take in deep breaths.

"I found a new respect for teachers."

"You're being dramatic." Kaira laughs.

My eyes widen. "I am not!" I open my mouth some. "Have you seen how strong those kids are? Then when they saw me walking over with the box full of thank you bags and they heard how they get something too I thought I gained twenty gray hairs."

"Better than them falling out." Josh chuckles.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Okay wise..." I stop and look around seeing all the young kids. "You can get the cake and bring it over next."

Josh's mouth gapes open. "Oh no. I am go..."

I shake my head which makes him stop talking and gape at me. "You volunteered yourself with that remark."

"Oh let me go see how they are doing." Kaira pats my shoulder and walks off to a group of women. Which I notice Kate there and her wife.

There is an easy fifty children running around with Samuel. His smile means everything though to see him so incredibly happy like this. From breakfast until now there isn't once his smile has faded as he ate and then we played the new video game and then lunch before coming here.

Adults are lined around talking and helping to watch over the children playing in the wide open field.

"He is happier than I ever seen him." Daryl smiles and pats my back looking to where Samuel is at and I nod.

"You been busy lately." I noted and he smiles wide. "Did he accept?"

"He did and we eloped recently."

"Congratulations, man." I pat his back and Josh does the same.

"You ready for your big day to get here?"

"I am and can't wait."

"It is good to have that date to marry on keep the happy memories going for that time for the both of you."

I nod and sigh.

"Dad!" Samuel runs up and five highs me. "Can we eat cake?"

"You got to ask your mom if it is time." I smile and he takes off after high fiving Daryl.

"Josh, your up." He slumps his shoulders and mopes to the car after grabbing the keys from Kaira.

Daryl and I laugh watching as the kids run behind Josh and swarm him as he gets the cake out from the cooler in the back of the car. The women call to the children and as their attention is on them, Josh makes it around them but runs holding the cake as the kids all follow in behind him.

I double over from laughter as Josh places the cake on the long table and drops to the ground, crawling under it before trotting over to Daryl and I once more.

"That was a angry posie." He pants.

"Told ya." I smirk.

My eyes watch though as all the women handle the children with ease and grace.

"How are they so gentle with the women?" Josh gapes picking up my line of thought.

"Maybe they see us being stronger just the aura that you two give out. They just know they don't have to be so gentle seeing the muscles on the both of you." Daryl snickers. "Makes me glad I an lanky on that side. I don't get rough housed to much."

We all walk over and sing the birthday song to Samuel as he blows out the candles. My tears burn slightly being able to witness it the first time and not just see a picture from the ones I missed. Pictures have shown me the things I have missed but it's not the same as getting to see it in the moment.

The playground is calm as all the children eat on the cake. Kaira walks back over to me and hands me a plate.

"Oh adults are getting a piece?" Josh smiles and Kaira nods. "Count me in."

"Me too." Daryl points and they walk over to the table.

"How are you doing?" Kaira looks to me.

"Never better." I smile and she mirrors it. "Been so much fun and seeing all their smiles faces matching Samuel's is just the best. Although I got a new respect for teachers being in classroooms with like thirty children for so many hours a day."

Kaira laughs. "They are just hyper right now."

"Can you tell me what Samuel was like as a baby?" I ask and she hums.

I listen and take it all in as she tells me things he done through the years. We laugh and watch the kids as they finish their cake and go back to playing.

"I got a surprise for you tonight."

"Yeah?" I look to her and she nods.

"Yeah but first as cake is done. It's present time." Her voice carries louder and she tugs me with her to the table where the gifts are placed. Samuel goes through opening them all and thanks each person per gift.

The evening wears on as the children start to tire and the party has come to an end. Samuel tells everyone bye as Josh, Daryl, and I get the car loaded up with his gifts as that is all we have to take back home with us.

Samuel hugs everyone close to us bye before getting in the car.

"He is going to fall asleep once home." Kate laughs and Kaira nods.

We get hugs from everyone and make it back home. Samuel helps me to unload his gifts and we sit on the floor in the living room to open them up from the actual toys he recieved.

"There is more left." Kaira comes out with the large gift bag that holds all the wrapped gifts.

"Really?" Samuel smiles.

"But of course! You know we got you gifts." Kaira smiles and Samuel pulls all the packages out.

His hands rip through the paper as he 'oh' and 'aws' the items he has recieved.

"This is one last gift." I get up from the floor and Kaira smiles wide.