7. Weclome To

With a sigh, I close the back door

With a sigh, I close the back door. The tech finally just left and this time he wouldn't do a thing unless I was right here over top of him watching his every step.

Still it turns out the company sent a new stove to replace this one with it being the second issue in a short time with the same area of the stove but yet the tech was still working on it like he didn't know the new one was coming. I was a little mad I been standing over him and he didn't even have to be here to fix the thing because he knew the company was having this second one brought in.

After the wasted two hours of my time, the tech is finally gone and the new stove is in the place and currently working. In those two hours I have drank three milkshakes as Kate has been keeping them in supply with my hand. Which I am grateful for if one thing keeps me calm its a milkshake and she knows I was needing it before I even did with that tech around to push peoples buttons.

"I am so sorry." I force a smile at Kate as she walks to the back.

"No probs." She gives a tight smile. "The morning rush is over and now just a couple customers out there finishing up."

I nod. "Go take a break you deserve it."

"Thanks I need a cigarette."

"I thought you quite?"

She grimaces. "After this morning I need one."

"Okay well I will send a little whisper for your lungs health."

She pushes me lightly and laughs. "There was a customer ready for checkout."

I nod. "Go take a break and I will handle them." I smile and take my half drank shake out with me.

There really probably is an unhealthy limit to drinking so many milkshakes but it is a thing I refuse to give up. "Hi there. Ready for check out?"

The older man nods and smiles.

"Sorry I hope you haven't been waiting long."

"Not at all Miss." He smiles.

I get behind the register and place my milkshake on the counter behind where we place things and then face the register. I get the total figured up and the man pays. "Thank you." He smiles and leaves a couple dollars in the tip jar.

"And thank you." I smile.

I turn to grab my shake and then sip it as I take a quick assessment of the Diner. There is some low voices as I see some regulars in booths. The two bags on the end of the table where Daryl was sitting catches my attention but the far booth they are at from the register I can't see who is there. The bag though looks the same to Daryl's and I get up from the stool I sat on after the man left.

Shake in hand, I walk towards the booth while waving to the customers still eating. "Need anything?" I ask as I pass them and they shake their heads. "Call out if you do." I smile and keep walking.

Sure enough the briefcase is Daryl's the closer I get and can see the design on the handle that was a personal touch he added to make sure no one ever grabbed the wrong case by accident since they all look so alike. The little rose embroidery better than I could ever do but a talent I like in Daryl.

"Hey." I see Daryl first with where he sits further to the inside of the booth. "Need anything? I wasn't aware you would be doing work here."

He looks up and smiles from the paper he had in his hand. "We thought it would be best."

I hadn't stepped all the way up since I didn't want to intrude to much with him working. One reason I love the extreme high back booths to where customers could feel like they had more privacy while eating. It happens more than I thought some people can't stand be looked at while eating so this was an investment I made after opening the diner.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to interupt. Just let me know if you need anything." I grimace and then smile as Daryl waves me closer.

"Joins us if you have a moment." He gives a soft smile.

"Sure." I smile and step up the last couple of steps.

My smile is the same as it is all other days when I work. That half true to half fake.

It all fades as my eyes catch up to my brain. I freeze but my grasp on the glass slips as it goes to fall but it seems Daryl was expecting such as he has caught it.

A ghost.

Yeah, I got to be seeing a ghost because there is no way on this planet it is true.

"Hi milkshake."

My eyes feel like they can't get any wider. My hand trembles. My heart races in my chest and the feeling of the pounding reaches my ears while it causes my head to spin.

His face has changed over the years but there is traces of the same person I knew. Eyes the same just that now his face is more defined jawline like a man and not a boyish face.

"I thought." My sentence stops. "I was told." I blink for the first time.

I turn to Daryl. "Do you know if Kate put something in my milkshake? Because there is no way." I stop once again.

Daryl frowns and gives a sad smile.

A hand touches my arm and the warmth is the same as I remember it.

"It's me, Kaira." His voice the same deepness it has always had.

I turn back to him. Okay, not a ghost because sure they can talk and such but never have I heard one being warm to the touch.

"How?" I look and into his eyes for the first time. It is him it is really Erik. "I was told you were dead."

In an instant the confusion went to shock. Welcome to the mind blown club because I want to know what is going on. All these years and none of it was true.