24. Memories

"Man you have no clue how hard I was running to make the track team

"Man you have no clue how hard I was running to make the track team." Davis goes about his tell.

"I got on the basketball team." Justin follows up. "What are you in for the extra class we got to take?" He looks to me.

"Chess."

"Why in the sane heck?"

"I like the mathematics behind it and how no game is every the same. It came before video games and I like the part of what it makes you do." I shrug.

"You do realize all of the high school will make fun of you and this is freshman year." Justin's face is that of shock and laughter.

"I don't care what the others say." I walk glance back to move around some people in the hallway.

"You will be labeled a nerd." Justin continues.

"Like I care? There is more to life than worrying what others think."

"I can agree with Erik there and I would have joined that instead of track if I could even play the game." Davis laughs.

"They would teach you if you join us."

"No shit."

"Yup."

"Let me do that right now because running is the last thing I actually want to do." Davis turns around and I follow him not in the mood to deal with Justin.  "He can be something else."

I nod. "You got that right."

"I figure he will end up with a new group of freinds by the end of the year." Davis sighs and I shrug.

"Good riddance then. I am tired of the guy knocking down what we say like it is nothing but a speck of dirt on his sh.." The air leaves my lungs and I clutch my most sensitive area while bending over and my knees wanting to buckle.

"Oh my God! I am so incredibly sorry." A sweet voice starts. "I swear I didn't mean to at all. My bag got hung on this locker and I couldn't get it off so I was yanking it and finally it came loose but I couldn't hold it which made it fly to hit you. I am so, so, so sorry."

"It's fine." I grunt and slowly stand back up straight while taking deep breaths.

Her face. Those big green doe like eyes.

A part of me seems to just click. My heart beats harder as I take her in.

"I am so sorry. I can get you ice or something. That helps right?" She looks to the cafeteria frantically.

"All good." I smile and she calms then her eyes slowly move over my body. "I'm Erik."

"Kaira."

With a deep breath my eyes open and the sunlight shines through the window. I sit up and rub over my face as the dream leaves but still lingers in my memories.

The very first time Kaira and I met.

From the start I knew there was something different about her with how I remember like it was yesterday how I felt seeing her for the first time. Out of all the times I seen people never once did I feel the way I did with her and not just because I was injured for a solid week after the encounter but how her eyes held me captive along with my heart that is hers.

With a quick shower and dressing for the day, I walk over to the shelf across from my bed above the desk I have set up. I look over the various books I have until I find the notebook I have kept all these years.

Inside this notebook is a list of dates I wrote down as Kaira and I were teens. Some of them I wrote were ones she mentioned without realizing it and others is ideas I came up with. For the dates we had done, there is a picture stapled to the page that had those date details down to show our happiness.

The one thing I found in a box that was never unpacked after my parents had moved us. When I got my memories back I worked for a day in the garage to find this notebook. My dad had pointed to the box it was in when he had came out to see what I was doing. Dad was the only one that never gave Kaira and I a hard time as long as I kept my grades up through school.

A knock sounds on my door. "Come in."

I turn around and Josh is leaning on the doorframe.

"Wanted to see if you wanted any of the food I made?"

"Sure." I nod after glancing at the time to show it was mid-morning still.

I walk out while holding the notebook and join Josh in the kitchen. "You always did make a mean sandwich." I smirk with a tease.

"Ha. Ha." Josh smirks. "Kaira isn't the only one that can cook."

I take a bite from the philicheese steak sub and nod. "It's been years since I had this."

He nods and frowns. "But now you can have it frequently since I make it a couple times a month."

We eat and he talks about how he is starting a job down at the boating dock tomorrow.

"Is that part of work I interrupted?" He points to the notebook.

I shake my head and swallow my last bite. "No it is the book of dates I made up for your sister years ago but through this time of hoping to find her I even added more."

Josh smiles while looking at the book before back to me. "I'll be honest with you I've never seen her so happy and in love then when you guys were together. Sure it took her years but she attempted to move on and while she had a small love for Daryl it wasn't the same. Heck they wasn't even moving in together until after the wedding but it wasn't an immediate move planned, I'm talking a couple months possibly."

"She mentioned how it's wasn't the same true love."

"It wasn't. Kaira has had it tough in the last decade but she will still smile. In the last three and a half weeks though her true smile has returned fully."

"I intend to keep it that way." I smile.

"Good or else I may have to break a bone or two." Josh smirks then looks at his phone when it dings. "I get to watch my nephew tonight. Pizza and video games with some car shows." He nods with a smile.

I chuckle and shake my head.

"Now you have fun figuring out that date." Josh turns and finishes cleaning up the kitchen denying my help.

I sit on the couch and read over the pages I have written out.