4. Milkshake Machine

The dreaded day has come

The dreaded day has come. Still after all this time it is hard to celebrate Valentine's day. 

"Hi. Welcome take a seat anywhere and I will be right with you." I smile to the couple that just walked in. They walk off and I place the plates down for the current table I had in my hands. "Josh. Please see if anyone at the bar needs refills."

He nods and takes off as he placed the plates down at table four.

I walk over to the new customers and take their drink order. Today has been much busier than I had thought it would be. I glance at Samuel as he plays on his hand held controller game, his eyes on the tiny screen as he plays. I kiss his head and he looks up. "Give Josh a few minutes and I will have you guys go on home."

"Uncle Josh needs to help you the diner is full so I am good right here."

I smile. "I will bring a milkshake."

Samuel smiles and nods.

The bell rings again and I look over to only stop.

"Hi Kaira. Need some help?" Mom smiles.

"I guess thank you. I wasn't expecting you to visit."

Mom smiles. "Pop up visit and I just needed to see you and my grandson."

I nod slowly. "One second let me get this to the table." I walk over and give them their drinks as I take their food order then take the paper to Tary.

"I didn't know Josh came here first." Mom smiles to him.

"He did and wasn't looking forward to the streamers or party."

Mom puts her hands up. "Okay I get it." She laughs and I shake my head with a smile. "Where do you need me?"

"Josh." I call him as he comes by.

"Hey Mom." He hugs her and smiles as she hugs him back and greets him.

"Do you want to take Samuel to the house?"

"Please can I stay?" Samuel gives me the puppy dog look from the side of us and I place his shake down. "The diner is only open a couple more hours and I am so close to winning this game. I don't want to leave because I will have to end it and loose everything."

I sigh. "Fine but either Josh or Grandma will take you home since I still have to clean up here. Mom if you want to help wait tables?"

"Bring me back to my younger days when I done it." Mom laughs and goes to the back to get cleaned and an apron.

We all pitch in and the diner is running smoothly. The dinner rush ends and just a couple locals are in finishing their meals.

"Thank you both for the help." I smile to Mom and Josh.

"I know how hard today is for you and I wanted to spend time with you. You weren't home so knew you would be here since you said you and Daryl didn't have anything planned." Mom smiles and hugs me.

"If you guys want to go to the house with Samuel I understand. Tary made us all a box of food each."

Mom nods. "Need me to do anything else?"

I shake my head. "No we close here in an hour and I am just going to clean up until then."

Mom kisses my cheek and nods. "How about you show me that video game you were telling me about when I sat down with you for a moment." Samuel nods.

He gives me a hug. "See you at home Mama."

"See you there Sammy." I smile and kiss his head. I watch as Samuel tells his grandma all about the game as Josh proclaims he will win the race this time since he has lost the last two nights as he carries their food.

I grab a rag and get to cleaning tables that are no longer being used. Tary is cleaning the kitchen after he finishes the last plates. I carry them out and get back to cleaning the diner.

As the minutes count down, I have wiped all tables not being used down along with the chairs. I change out rags and begin cleaning the bar counter and stools. Tary comes out with the mop and begins part of the diner not being used.

"Thanks. You don't have to do that though."

"I don't have anything else to do tonight and it needs to be done." He smiles.

I check out the last of the people in the diner and finish the bar area. We close in thirty minutes and I never know who may still come but something the last minutes take the longest. 

I thank Tary and he leaves for the night with less than an hour left, I can handle who ever comes in on my own.

Turning to the milkshake machine I frown. It is always a process but one done nightly and in the middle of the day to keep in top shape. Getting to it, I listen to the love dove music but I stand up straight to turn the song since it is one I can't listen to in the last ten years, making moments fleet back to my mind.

With a shake of my head, I bend down and make sure the bowl is empty of any ran off ice cream.

In no time the Diner is cleaned up and I am locking it up for the night. The drive home is a sober affair as I feel lost in thought. Ten years is a long time and it still hurts.

Just as I pull in my drive, I smile seeing the living room light on through the window and my son with his grandma and uncle by the television. My phone rings and I jump slightly.

"Hello?"

'Hey Kaira. Are you busy?' Daryl's voice filters through the speaker.

"Just got home. How was your day?"

'It was really good in fact I was wondering if I could ask a favor of you?'

"Sure?" I shrug even though he can't see me.

'Could you let me and my client come to the diner in the morning?'

"I wouldn't stop you from that." I state dumbfounded.

'Like could you open up like thirty minutes earlier? He is an early bird and I rather him not starve and get to enjoy the best in town. Plus, we have meetings lined up after breakfast that I have to have him at unless things change.'

"Yeah I can do that." I nod now understanding.

'Thanks I owe you big for this.'

"He must be a big client."

'He is and one that we got lucky to have since so many want him but he came to the office needing trusted counselors for all his legal documents since he moved to the area and doesn't want to keep making trips by plane to his previous ones.'

I listen as he goes on a bit more as he is excited before he bids goodnight.

"Happy Valentine's day." I try and make it a better day.

"Happy heart day. See you in the morning." Daryl bids before hanging up.

I take a deep breath and get out of my car. Going into the house I hear laughter and it makes me smile as I see Samuel must have won yet again.