50. Humorless Laugh

"How could you?" I seethe into the phone

'Kaira.' Mom sighs. 'He wanted to see Josh and you.'

"But yet you wouldn't tell Erik where I was for years?" I could scream.

She refused to tell Erik that I was here but now all of a sudden gives it to my father.

'A major mistake that I will never forgive myself for doing. Dylan is the love of my life and he has been here back and forth for a bit now. When he asked where you both lived I gave him the addresses that way he could meet you.'

"Why didn't you tell Josh and me?"

"Kaira." Erik rubs my back and I turn seeing the front door open with Dylan right there on the porch.

"I will call you later." I state and hang up the phone. Placing my phone back on the table, I march over to the door. "So where have you been the last twenty-seven years?"

"With my ex-wife for most of that time." Dylan states.

"Did you do her like you done Mom?"

"No. She done it to me, she left."

I let out a humorless laugh. "Doesn't feel good does it? Since you know how my Mom has felt."

"I will never forgive myself for abandoning Josh and you."

I stare at him. "Do you know it broke my mom? It left her a shell of herself for years. Something Josh and I had to endure. I grew up with a part time mom, all because you left for your ex-wife."

"Kaira, I am so so..."

"Mom even lied to me after a accident to where the love of my life was gone for a decade because she said there was no such thing as high school love and such."

I walk back to the table and pick my phone up. The tone dials before it is picked up.

"I need you to come over here to my house please. It is urgent." I hang up and place the phone back down.

I stare at Dylan and wait as the minutes tick by. Erik rubs my back but doesn't say anything. A truck pulls up and I see as Josh steps out coming up the steps of the porch quickly only to stop and do a double take.

"Dad?"

"Where the hell have you been?" Josh gapes. "Never-mind doesn't even matter." He waves his hand. "What are you doing here now?"

"I wanted to see how you two were and grown up."

"Why now though?" Josh shakes his head.

Dylan sighs. "Cancer."

"Huh?" Josh and I speak at the same time.

"I have cancer."

"How cliche. You get a life changing diagnosis so you come to right the wrongs." Josh sighs as Dylan nods.