23. Witty Remarks

"You're hired

"You're hired." I stand up and shake hands with Mason.

Her mouth opens in shock and her smile bright. "Thank you so much, I promise to work hard."

"When can you start?"

"Now or whenever you need me." She smiles.

"Fill these forms out for me and that way I can make sure all legal pieces are done. I will grab an apron and notepad for you."

She nods and I give her a pen while she reads over the papers and fills out the forms.

Poor Mason. I couldn't help but hire her on the spot. For the last three years she has worked a dead end job and even though this could be seen as one, we do at least all get along and help each other out. Also I can say that I will never fire someone just because their shoe color is the wrong shade. It isn't like everyone can afford multiple shoes. What is wrong with people?

"How is it going?" Kate then squeals. "She is so sweet."

"You know her."

Kate nods. "She is a friend of my girlfriend. A bit shy at first but a totally sweetie. I had let her know about your ad this morning when I heard she lost her job."

"She has one now." I smile and then walk back with the apron in hand.

"These are yours while you work here. Leave it every time you clock out in the bin there and I wash them at home."

"Oh I can wash it." Mason takes the stack of aprons.

"Not to worry, I got them covered. If it stains during the day just grab a new one and change them out, I keep more than enough to where everyone's aprons stay clean and nice."

"Thank you. I also got these finished." Mason places the papers on my desk.

"Perfect. Next would be the work schedule. I have known how things go for a little while now but any days you may want to work more than the others?"

"Just where ever you need me to." She shrugs.

We go over the schedule and she nods with a smile. I show her around and she gets to see how we run things within the diner. Kate takes over and Mason shadows her for a half hour before taking her own path and waiting tables.

"Where do I place the tips?" Mason whispers coming up to me.

"You keep that. It is what you earned and you keep any tips the customers give. If I clean up a table that you waited then I will hand you the money just like Kate will do as there are times we tend to others tables being cleaned. It is a way we all help each other and make sure things are equal."

"Oh thank you."

I smile and she goes back to working tables.

"Hi Mama."

"Hi baby." I smile and turn to look at him. "How was school?"

"Good. Can I get some potato skins?"

"Sure." I walk to the back and Terry laughs then gets to them. Going back to my office, I find Samuel on his game device. "No homework?"

"No." He smiles. "Oh look at this."

He puts the game down and opens his bag before pulling a paper out for me to look at it. "Great job! I am so proud of you." I smile wide seeing he aced his history test today.

"Thank you." Samuel smiles.

"I got an order here of potato skins but I added a little something on the side and sounds like just the occasion." Terty pops in the door frame. "Way to go champ!"

Samuel smiles even wider. "Thank you. I can't wait to show it to Erik."

Terry sits the food on the desk and Samuel pulls up a show to watch on the computer while he eats. I get back out and help the others out as the time passes by. I take my apron off and then close up the bin to take the full one home with me tonight.

Voices carry from the office and I smile as I see Erik and Samuel talking while Erik holds the test in his hand. I smile and lean against the doorframe. "Seems your tutoring pays off."

"Just like it done with you in math class." Erik smirks not missing a beat.

"But explain how a million can equal to one."

Erik chokes and Samuel scrunches his face. "I don't get it." Samuel sighs. "Is that advanced mathematics I will learn when in higher grades?"

"Yes." Erik and I both answered at the same time.

Samuel shrugs and gets up from the chair. "I am going to show Kate this." He holds the paper.

"She will love that, last I seen she was behind the counter placing glasses underneath."

"Okay, last time I looked out she was busy so I didn't want to bother her." He smiles and leaves the office.

"Busy evening?" Erik smiles and walks over.

"The normal really." I smile back.

"How did the interview go?"

"Smoothly and hired the lady that came in when you were here."

"That was easy."

"Easy as in I hadn't found anyone until her with past experience in a Diner and the others just lacked work ethics." I laugh. "So before you left..."

"Could I ask something first?" Erik cuts me off and I nod. "Would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow night?"

"About time you asked." I smirk and his mouth opens as his eyes widen. "Here I was about to ask you the same thing since I had thought you must have lost your balls."

Erik steps over and his hands find my waist to pull me closer to him as my feet move to where I am only on the tips of my toes with him holding me up without an effort shown.

"If you remember those quick witty remarks got you into a mess."

"I remember just fine all the times the sheets had to be changed." I smile wide. "Still I remember you being a bit more forward, that is why I said that about your balls."

"I assure you not a single backpack has gotten thrown into them since you had so my balls are still in tack." He whispers and goosebumps form on my skin, with a smirk he releases me and steps back. "Would you like to go on a date with me then?"

"Yes I would." I smile and he returns it.

" I smile and he returns it