11. Phone Buzzes

As the door opens Mom smiles

"May I come in?" I ask.

"Of course. Josh is here." Mom smiles. "I had picked him up earlier so he can show me how to work this new computer and I have finally got the hang of it seems like it will be eaier than cataloging books all the time."

"Perfect." I walk in and Mom closes the door.

"What brings you by? Where is Samuel?" Mom asks quickly changing topic like it is nothing.

"Samuel is with Kate which is probably for the best since I am trying to get to the bottom of your lies."

Mom takes a step back. "Lies?" She looks like she doesn't know what I am talking about it makes my anger that much more.

"Yeah you know? The lie about Erik being dead." I state and look to Josh as he looks between us and is lost.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Mom starts.

"Save the lies." I cut her off.

"What is going on?" Josh finally asks.

"Today when Daryl needed me to be at the Diner early for his client and him to eat breakfast. Just so happen that client was Erik."

"What the blazes?" Josh says as he exhales his deep breath.

"Yeah my thoughts exactly." I agree while looking at Mom still.

Mom doesn't say a word but opens and closes her mouth a few times. Her breathing steady but the shock on her face.

"All these years you let both of us think he was dead? How could you because not only was he the love of Kaira's life, father to her son, but he was a friend of mine too." Josh adds in.

The thought of Erik being dead had hit him too. They became friends through the relationship Erik and I had.

"It was what was best." Mom states finally.

"How?" Josh asks in a loud voice but not quite yelling, yet.

"It never lasts." Mom states but doesn't say a word further.

"That is Kaira and Erik's decision not yours or his parents." Josh shakes his head.

"Just because your high school sweetheart took off on you doesn't mean Erik would have done the same." I state and Mom flinches. My dad had left when I was just a baby and from what I know he never came back from what Mom and Josh had said. Josh remembers him but I don't.

"Also he was going to hold you back from going to college." Mom starts again. "It was something his parents and I thought was best when we were waiting for either of you to wake up. He woke first and by loosing his memories made it easily done. It worked until he remembered eight years ago and started coming to my house to try and find you."

"Is that why you came here this year for Valentine's Day a few days earlier than you had said originally?"

Mom sighs and nods. "Yes it has been getting harder with each passing year to see him tore up and not tell him."

"Why didn't you? If he has been there every year then you know he still loves me. It was years took away from him and I."

"My own insecurities. Plus my hope that you would be okay one day then you finally had on track to marrying Daryl."

"I love Daryl but not the same as Erik and he knows that, which is why we just spoke and called the wedding off. We even are going to remain friends." I shake my head. "Mom you have to understand this is my life and I never wanted the things you did for me."

"I see that now." Mom looks at me finally and I see tears in her eyes.

"I'm glad you do or else I would have suggested you pack your bag back up and go on home." I state and her eyes widen. "If you can stop fighting me against what I may want then please stay around but right now I don't know how things will go. There is so many years lost and I still have to talk to him."

My phone buzzes and I glance at it seeing it is Kate.

"Hello?"

'Hey, sorry to call. Samuel is good but I am needing to get to the emergency room, my girlfriend is there."

"I will meet you there. Is everything okay?" I ask while grabbing my keys back from my bag.

'She had a accident at work but is going to be okay from what I was able to find out from her boss.'

"Meet you there." I hang up and I see Josh has followed me to the door.

"I am coming with you since I was going to get back to your house after helping Mom." He states.

"Okay." I turn and Mom gives a smile.

"I hope we can talk more."

I give her a nod. "I will let you know by text when I can since I am busy the rest of the day."

She nods and I leave the room with Josh following in behind. "Everything good?"

"Yeah Kate is having to be there for her girlfriend so we will meet her there to pick Samuel up."

Josh nods as he gets in the car and I do the same. I get on the road and the traffic is fairly clear. We talk about what Daryl and I spoke on and he laughs lightly.

"So you are meeting Erik when the diner closes?"

"I may have to leave word that I can't."

"No go. I can watch Samuel tonight while you do."

"Are you sure?" I spare a quick glance since at a red light.

"I am. It isn't the first time I watched my nephew and you really need to talk to Erik. After I would like it if you gave him my number so we can talk it has been a decade and I was missing my friend."

I nod. "I will."

We make it to the hospital and Kate is outside walking with Samuel towards my car as they seen me. Samuel gets in the back and I thank Kate for watching him while telling her to let me know if her and her girlfriend need anything.