5. Invisible Ghost

I grab my keys and coat from the hook

I grab my keys and coat from the hook. "Got everything?"

Samuel nods. "Yup."

"Good, come on the bus will be here in a minute and then I am off to the Diner."

We walk outside and I stand by my car as we wait for the bus. Samuel and I play the game of how many color cars pass by the house. Within five minutes he is on the bus and I place my bag in the car.

"You are off early this morning." Mom pulls up to the house just as Josh comes out of the house and locks it before pocketing the key I let him keep while here. She spent the night at the local hotel since I only have one guest bedroom and he was here first so got dibs.

"I have to open early today for Daryl and his client."

"Okay well I will be by later to help out." Mom smiles and hugs me. "I am going to take Josh with me since he is going to show me a good phone to get."

I laugh. "Good you need a new one that is a dinosaur of a device."

Mom laughs. "Yes you and your brother keep saying that."

"See you in a bit baby sis."

"See you." I smile and then get in my car.

Once they leave, I back out and get to the Diner. The drive is smooth and I enjoy the weather since it is nicer here than the town I grew up in.

I unlock the door and Tary pulls up a moment later. I leave the sign to the close position until the official time for opening comes. I sent a quick text to Daryl letting him know the doors will be open to come on in when they get here.

"Morning boss." Tary smiles with a wave as he walks in.

"Morning."

"What do I need to start on first?"

"Just whatever sides are low in quantity."

He nods and sets off for the kitchen.

"Thank you for coming in early." I call out and see his hand wave making me laugh. He never was a morning person as long as I known him but he will enjoy the bottle of vodka I picked up for him that I keep on hand for times I ask him to come in early.

My phone pings and I see Daryl just replying with a thumbs up emoji.

That tells me nothing on when they may actually get here. Maybe I should have asked when they would.

I sigh and shrug to the invisible ghost I guess since no one can see me. Honestly, I probably need to work on my physical movements to show what I think. Then again it is how I have always been and probably always will be.

My feet turn and I start to organize the back counter and then reclean all the tables and bar counter. It passes by quickly and I bend down playing the squat and walk game to go around to each outlet, flipping the on switches to get all the neon signs on and machines used. Especially that milkshake machine it can take a few minutes and I am in dire need of one.

Great no doubt the grand pearl will appear right when getting married with when this cycle is starting as I count it in my head. Nothing more embrassing than a blood stain on my dress in front of Daryl's family and the part of mine going to make the trip. Plus it is a small trip for us to get to the venue almost two hours from here and during my cycle the cramps are killer alone.

I groan and shake my head. The machine beeps and I start to make my milkshake. It is definitely needed even more now.

The first few sips makes everything better.

As time passes, I tend to the money drawer for the register. I eventually flip the open sign and Kate comes in to start her time but no sign of Daryl yet nor has my phone went off. I attempt to call with it being so long after when he said he would be here and he has always been punctual but there is no answer.

One deep breath, I won't freak out just yet. Give it another thirty minutes or hour and call again. With a nod to myself, I tell Kate as she gives me a strange look and her eyes show compassion. "Give it some time there could have been a traffic jam if they are coming from the west side of town from what I heard on the radio before getting here."

"Thanks that actually does help." I nod since that is the way he would come from originally.

"He may have the client in the car with him or something to not be answering." Kate shrugs and I nod.

"Maybe. Well let's start the day." I smile and greet the first people through the door.

The morning rush begins and I move around with Kate as we give orders to Tary to make then take the plates out. One thing I have done is baby the milkshake in the corner that is behind the bar counter where I place mine where no customers can reach it.

"I need to take this." Kate motions to the phone and I nod.

"Go." I wave and she walks to the back of the diner with it being a bit slower with the customers eating.

I work on checking out a few customers and one lady had lost a handful of coins that I bend down to help collect. The bell rings and I stand back up. "Be with you in a minute. Take a seat anywhere you would like."

"Hey." Daryl whispers next to me.

I turn my head slightly. "Hey. Everything okay?"

"Traffic jam." Daryl sighs. "Sorry for asking you to be here early to only not make it on time."

I smile and thank the lady before she leaves. Then turn to Daryl and shake my head. "No worries. Let me go wash my hands and I will be there to take your orders."

"Thanks." Daryl smiles and I nod with standing up going to the back without a glance.

I clean my hands and grab the notepad before going out to the booth I see Daryl sitting at. I get closer and something famaliar hits.

Damn how I missed that cologne. It makes my heart ache anytime I smell it which is at least five times a week it seems since it is fairly common and must be coming from the new customers at Kate's booth I an walking up on.

 It makes my heart ache anytime I smell it which is at least five times a week it seems since it is fairly common and must be coming from the new customers at Kate's booth I an walking up on