22. Tantrum

One ad and another week later, I still haven't found the time to ask Erik the big question

Kate was able to return to work a couple of days ago and I begged her not to get sick again. Which we both laughed since it wasn't like she can help it at all.

I had spoken with Tary and he denies wanting more time off the two days he does take he doesn't like taking off as is claiming he gets bored. My agrument was that those two days allows me to be within the kitchen where I am also very happy with so he grumbles with a laugh since he was trying to work more days instead of less. During which he denied getting a raise too saying he makes more than enough.

Currently though, Terry and Kate are waiting tables and I have been interviewing others. A knock sounds on the frame of the office door and I look up.

"Hey." I smile.

"Hey." Erik smiles. "Busy?"

"Not at the moment." I stand from the chair and he walks in the office.

"I was hoping to catch you."

"Oh yeah?" I smile and he smirks.

"It should seem we really hadn't gotten much time to talk in the last three and a half weeks."

"No we hadn't." I shake my head.

"Sorry about that. Work and the move has been a bit of time consuming."

"Plus any free time you make is for Samuel as it should be." I smile and he nods.

"It has been the best and so surreal getting to know him and spend time with him."

"Speaking of which, you're spoiling him." I place my hands on the desk and bend towards him on the opposite side with a frown.

"I am not." Erik holds his hands up.

"Oh really now?" I challenge. "So all the ice cream sundeas he tells me you take him to get prior to dinner isn't spoiling him? Or how you let him play video games before working on homework? Oh, or the one I heard of is the skateboard you bought him and I happened to see the price tag of it being a couple hundred dollars isn't spoiling him?"

"He didn't mention the collectors toy convention I took him to last weekend?" Erik frowns then closes his lips in a tight line.

"No but you just did." I narrow my eyes at him, just to give him a hard time but by no means am I mad. Samuel and Erik needed these moments together and I am beyond grateful they are getting them together. "But now I could just pout since that convention sounds like it was fun."

Erik opens and closes his mouth.

"I'm just teasing. You and Samuel has needed this time." I smile and he visibly relaxes.

"I am sorry I should have asked first about everything. It's just that I wanted to make up for lost time."

I shake my head. "You don't have to apologize nor ask anything like that because you are his father and get a say in things. Just maybe tone it down on the sundeas before dinner."

"It hasn't spoiled his appetite though."

I laugh and he smirks.

"I will slow the roll on the sundeas before dinner but I get free range to let him indulge after dinner though."

"That I can handle."

We laugh lightly and then I calm. "Erik?"

"Yes?" He smirks.

"Would you like to..."

"Got your next interview. Oh." Kate stops and smirks. "Sorry I didn't know that you were here."

"Just stopped in to see Kaira before my burger was ready." Erik smiles.

"Oh so you were the one Terry said had a weird burger order to go." Kate laughs. "She isn't used to people asking for onion rings on their burger."

We laugh. "It is ready though." Kate moves over and picks the bag up. "Terry said you paid in advance."

Erik nods. "Thanks."

"Sorry to interrupt though but the next interview is here." Kate frowns.

"Thank you Kate." I smile and she leaves.

"I should let you get back to work and I got to make it to my next meeting." Erik gives a light smile and I nod. He goes to walk away and then stops turning. "You were going to ask something?"

"Would you like to go..."

"Kaira can we talk a moment?" A voice pops up at the door frame again. This time I don't smile but frown.

I really need to shut the door or something. Why can't I get my question out? It is like some weird fate to be dangling the love of my life in front of me and I have yet to be able to see if we could be a couple once more.

I walk from behind my desk as I prepare to say something to her. "Be back in a couple hours." Erik moves over and touches my hand before leaving the office.

"I really need a job there isn't another one like this one." Lola whines.

"You shouldn't have walked out then."

"But I can promise not to do it again. I know you are hiring, please."

I shake my head. "Lola this is the sixth time since you started you have walked out. On average you walk out during a shift every four months. When you are here, you spend a major portion on your cell phone doing whatever it is you want. Now while I don't mind answering an occassional text when the diner is slow but during rush hours you should only be on your device if there is a emergency."

"But it was an emergency. Did you not see how they are trying to canceled out the pieces that look like shorts but a bikini bottom?"

"Fashion isn't the emergency I am talking about." I frown. "I'm talking like if an family member gets sick or hurt."

She waves her hand. "I wouldn't care about something so dull and insignificant."

My mouth opens in a shock and then close it with a shake of my head. Is it bad if I want to choke a hoe?

Yes it is.

"Like I said there isn't another place in town that pays as much as you do."

"I'm sorry but there will not be a seventh time. I wish you the best of luck finding a different job."

Lola stomps out of the office with a flip of her hair. Like that bothers me? It is best she throws a tantrum elsewhere.

I sigh and then walk out to the front where the next potential employee waits for me.

"Hi, I am Kaira."

"Mason." The lady smiles.

"Right this way." I show her to the office where I begin asking her the basic questions and briefing over her resume.