55. Old Oak

"Ready?" Erik holds out a hand

My mind races as I look at the truck while taking his hand.

Today is Thanksgiving. Barely two weeks since Samuel's birthday and things have been going smoothly like they have been for months.

However, today my feelings are every where. For the very first time in almost eleven years, Erik and I are going back to our home town together. To my mothers house together.

Sure, I have been in my home town and my moms house since the accident. This though is different. No longer am I driving home for a visit while my heart hurts with painful memories. Instead, I am happy but a feeling of shock surreal this is my life that I have the love of my life by my side.

Also the fact I am not helping him sneak in or out like we done as teens.

"Here we go." Erik places a hand on my thigh as he drives down the road.

Samuel has already fell asleep since he got in the truck and the seatbelt placed. We were up late as he had so much homework and wanted it all done yesterday once getting home so that his weekend is free, which resulted in a long night but he done it all.

"Nervous?" Erik whispers as over to me as we meet the first of many red lights.

"In a way but still happy."

"Seems different going back to our home town together."

"It really does."

"I can't stop thinking of all the memories we had together there."

I smile and mini flashes go through my mind of the dates and school time we shared.

"There is the smile I love the most."

I look over and Erik gives me one in return.

The trip is smooth with leaving early to make it to my moms house. We pull in her drive right at noon and all stretch. When Samuel had woke up on the road, we stopped twice to use the restrooms but he has been talkative every sense.

"Oh look Uncle Josh is here." Samuel skips to the door.

Another reason to be nervous this is the first holiday spent at Moms house in years too.

The door opens and Mom hugs Samuel before ushering him inside before she hugs me then Erik. "You both come in too and get warmed up."

"Yeah this cold weather is not something I have missed much." I laugh as I remove my jacket.

It always was colder here then where we moved too.

"You made it." Josh laughs and walks over as Samuel hugs him. "I just made it in maybe five minutes ago too."

"I am so happy you both could make it this year." Mom pulls Josh and I into another hug.

This is so awkward. Mom was never one to show her emotions so boldly, unless it was anger.

"Hey you three." Dylan comes around the corner wiping his hands on a dish towel. "The food is just about ready."

"It smells nice." Erik nods and shakes his hand.

"This one got me here early to start cooking." Dylan nods to Mom and her cheeks actually turn red.

"You know I am not a cook. I will burn water for the most part." Mom giggles as Dylan pulls her into his arms.

"How are you doing?" I ask Dylan and he smiles.

"I started some medication treatments to prep for some chemo before a surgery to try and remove what chemo doesn't kill." He nods slowly.

"It is good you have took the route to get treatment." Josh pats his shoulder.

"Yes." Dylan smiles. "Come on and gather around the table. I think we all have many, many things to be grateful for this year."

We offer to help Mom and Dylan move dishes to the table but they deny the help. So I take a seat as does Samuel, Erik, and Josh.

"I have to go to the bathroom." Samuel smiles and gets back up from the table.

"Man it feels funny not sneaking you in here." Josh chuckles with Erik joining him.

"I wasn't completely obvious to it." Mom chimes in. "Like the one time I found a random shoe in the laundry room that wasn't Josh's."

"Oh that is where it went." Erik rubs his neck as Mom laughs. "Yeah I lost that the morning I got pushed off the roof."

"I didn't push you but I wasn't expecting Mom to come up the stairs and then enter my room. You're lucky the window was on the corner where she had to walk around the massive wall I had there due to the closet." I laugh. "All because she was telling me I was going to be late for the bus."

Samuel comes back and we end that small topic as it changes to what he may want for Christmas. Then to how we would spend it which was thought for Mom and Dylan to come to our house as everyone agrees.

Food is ate and we end up in the living room as the guys watch a sports game. Mom and I play a board game with Samuel as laughter floats around.

As the sun sets, we bid Mom and Dylan a bye before getting in the truck. Josh pulls out first and we follow in behind him for the long journey back home.

Snow has started gently falling and I can't stop the sad smile. Erik's hand once again lands on my thigh and my breathing hitches as we pass the spot where our accident happened almost eleven years ago. My fingers reach up and trace over my scar. As I hear Erik's release a deep breath.

"You okay?" Samuel pipes up from the back.

The truck slows and Erik pulls over. "Yeah Sammy that was a tough spot right there."

"We passed it coming to grandma's this morning and you didn't breath so heavy." I turn back to look at Samuel as he sits up in the seat.

"Almost eleven years ago this spot right back by that old oak is where we crashed. That tree there stopped the car from rolling down the hill to the bottom. It was dark like it is now and there was snow on the ground, similair to now just more." Erik points behind us. 

"Wow and we have passed this everytime we came to see grandma." Samuel turns to look back up to me. "Now I understand why this spot you would sit up straighter and hold your breath."

"Yeah baby it's why." I give a soft smile. "Let's go home."

I take Erik's hand and he faces the front once more as he puts the truck in drive and we start down the road once more. We see Josh on the side and he gives a soft smile as we pass him as he falls in behind us to make the journey to our town.