52. Other Than

A yawn comes over me as I shake my head

Sometimes waiting until the last minute is my worst enemy. Which is why currently I have been up since the dawns light making thank you bags for all the kids coming to the party for Samuel's tenth birthday. In fairness that box with the items for the bags didn't arrive until last night, but also a thing on me for ordering late it happens when trying to find the exact things my son wanted.

I had to actually call a shop several hours away to get these personally made though for the bags. As it is little fake remote control pieces with candies in them, along with a card that gives a coupon to the game Erik just had released. A thing Samuel is happy to show off that his Dad designed the game.

To see Erik beam each time Samuel calls him Dad just brings tears to my eyes.

Ten years ago today I was so scared and sad the same time. Sad because I never thought Samuel would know his father but he has and this is the first birthday that Erik gets to spend with him. To which Erik and Samuel has turned it into a huge event with so many kids coming to the park today to celebrate. Something Samuel never wanted before but this year is so ready for it but also very last minute planning.

Lips touch my cheek and I turn to smile at Erik. "Good morning."

"Good morning, milkshake."

I huff. "Could use one currently."

I smell the scent of coffee and then hear as Erik digs through the freezer. He has this love for fruit shake things in the morning but I remember him being like that even as a teen. Those just don't cut it for me though as I want the naughty sweet shakes with ice cream instead.

I count and see there is another ten bags to place together but then to tie them up with the green ribbon so nothing can fall out of them. My hands work together and by the time, I get another bag finished a glass is placed in front of me.

"Here you are." I look up and see Erik smirk.

"Did you, my love who is all things healthy, just make my a extra fudge chocolate milkshake first thing in the morning?"

"Shush." He places his finger to his lips with a wide smile. "Don't tell anyone but I think spoiling my finaceè works best in my favor."

I giggle and he sits opposite of me at the table with his cup of coffee.

"What is left to do?"

I tell him and he gets to cutting the ribbon at three inches long and tying up each bag on the table in front of him. We drink on our morning delights and work together with comfortable silence.

Just as I finish the last bag, Erik slides it to him and ties it up. "You sure work fast."

"Because I know how to use my fingers. You were slow though." His teasing smirk telling me the double meaning to the first part.

I shrug. "I wanted to make sure every bag had the same item amount or else there may be a melt down. Have you been around children? One simple forgotten item could cause a meltdown and that is the last thing I wish on anyone."

As I take the last sip of my shake, I stand from the table. Taking my glass to the sink I clean it out and turn to see Erik placing the bags into the large empty box. I prance over and he turns taking me into his arms, our lips meet as his fingers trace circles on my hips.

Feet sound on the floor breaking us apart. "Good morning, birthday boy!" Erik and I exclaim together making our son smile wide.

"Best birthday yet too." Samuel runs over and hugs us both at the same time.

"You go shower and get dressed. From there we will have you a large birthday breakfast made up for you." I smile and kiss the top of his head.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?"

"You got it." I nod once with a smile.

"After breakfast we will battle it out on this." Erik pulls out the hidden gift from the bookshelf.

Samuel tears into the paper and then his mouth drops open. "No way! How did you get this? It doesn't come out for another two months."

Erik chuckles. "Sammy, I am friends with the creator of this one. Davis had it expressed mailed here when I asked him for it so we get the first disc game of it."

Samuel jumps up and down looking to the video game.

"Now you run along and shower like your Mama told you too. We got a lots of fun for the day planned before your party." Erik ruffles his hair before Samuel runs off to his room.

"You're going to spoil him. Which you spoil me to much." I laugh lightly.

Erik pulls me back into his arms. "I want to spoil the both of you so much. I got many years to catch up on and one life time isn't enough."

I kiss his lips at the small frown his face contorts into. "I am just happy you are here and I don't want for anything more."

"Other than to marry me?" His smirk comes back and I can tell he is out of the sadness trail.

"Other than to marry you." I smile and peck his lips once more. "Now we need to dress and ready for the day. These sweats on us will not work at all."

Hand in hand we go to our room, I done showered so I just remove the house clothes and get into some jeans and a nice shirt. Starting on breakfast, I get busy as Samuel and Erik comes out of the rooms joining at the counter top. Laughter fills the kitchen just as it normally does but it is a part to cherish each and every day.