21. Milliseconds

Comfortable

Comfortable. For the last two weeks things have been comfortable as we go into the month of March. We start the new month with things the same but also different in a way.

Life has been the same work and caring for Samuel. The only difference is that Daryl and I are no longer together. Josh lives in town now and Erik. There hasn't been a single day where Erik doesn't spend time with Samuel as they enjoy their time together.

Just yesterday here at the Diner, I heard as Erik was asking Samuel questions on a chapter with history. It warmed my heart to see them getting along so well. On the weekends Samuel and I will take him to the apartment for him to spend the day with his father and uncle while I go back home to clean the house.

"Why so glum?" Kate shoulder bumps mine as I sip on a cup of coffee after the morning rush.

"Just thinking over the last couple of weeks." I smile looking over to Kate.

"Things have took a turn huh?"

I nod. "Yes and I am so happy."

"But not overcome with so much joy yet?" She smirks as she side eyes me.

I sigh. "No."

"Have you and him spoke anymore?"

"Sure."

"And not just about Samuel but about the two of you." Kate gives me a tight lip expression pulling another sigh from me.

"No."

"Do you want to be with him again?"

"More than anything." I state within milliseconds.

She smiles wide. "I can tell he may think the same."

"How? Because I have been trying to figure that out. Sure we have spoke and I know he hasn't dated and still says he loves me."

"Girl take a breath and watch him from afar without thinking of how you feel. When you do that then you will see the exact same thing Tary and I have seen every day of the week and no doubt same on the weekends." Kate flicks my nose and I rub it while narrowing my eyes at her.

She rolls her eyes. "His eyes watch everywhere you go. The smile that graces his face is different from the other smiles he gives everyone else, like you are his world."

"But I feel like we are stuck in the rut of this routine, him coming in when Samuel is here from school and then me taking Samuel to his apartment on Sunday's since Saturday has become the day Samuel is with me."

"Babe, he is probably giving you time or at least I think. This was a huge event where for you he basically came back from the dead and for him after longing for years your here."

"That still doesn't make sense to me on why we haven't at least got to have a date."

Kate stands up straight from where her arms were like mine and leaned on the counter top. She grabs my shoulders and stands me up to face her with a small shake. "Snap out of the somber mood." She laughs and I push her hands off me.

"I am not somber." I roll my eyes. "Just thinking I should ask him on a date."

"Go for it and be the big boss biach I know you are." Kate laughs. "You never backed down from what you want. Though I think these two weeks were good for you guys to get used to being around each other once more."

__________________________

Another half week has passed and I haven't attempted to ask Erik on a date since talking with Kate. I am ready to take the leap and hope he is too, but if not I know he will simple deject the question.

Yesterday was busy and I barely got to see him before he left the diner and I took Samuel home. The day before that, Erik had texted he wouldn't make it to the diner to please let Samuel know as some meetings were lasting later than planned in the city. Today was the same message.

"Josh could you watch Samuel for a couple hours?" I smile to my older brother as he goes to place a fry in his mouth.

He nods.

"Yaya! We need to have a rematch on the game you got me."

Josh laughs. "I can assure you that I still haven't gotten any better."

Samuel laughs and puts his book back in his bag.

"Bedtime though." I point ot Samuel and he nods.

"School is the worst." Samuel sighs and I laugh lightly kissing his head. "Now that Uncle Josh and Erik is here there is so much to do, even with Daryl."

"Daryl?" I turn back to look at him.

"Yeah he has came to the apartment at times. The three of us will race against Samuel here since Erik ended up buying four controllers so we all get to have video game time together." Josh nods.

"Oh that is very nice." I smile.

Daryl and I have spoken but I didn't know that. He still comes in for coffee several times a week when work is running him hard. Although I do know his new beau is going smoothly for him and he gets the stars in his eyes just like he said I always do with Erik, which makes me happy for him. He needed someone that can return his love the same as what he is giving.

"You two have fun. Samuel do you have the key?"

He nods and pats the pocket the house key is at in his bag. "Okay see you tonight."

"Love you Mama."

"Love you Sammy." I kiss his head once more then get up from the booth to return with work.

Kate is currently out sick and Terry had classes tonight so I am on my own with waitressing. I need to take the time to look into hiring another person for waiting tables and talk to Tary about if he wants to ever start taking more days off which means I would need to hire another cook possibly. No I would hire more help for waiting tables then I would cook the extra days Tary takes off because only he and I work the kitchen as he is the only one that can take my recipes and make them just has I do, plus I prefer not training many people within the kitchen area.