13. Beyond Happy

"How old is your son?"

I only seen him a brief moment earlier today but he looked just like Kaira. It was a quick shock that I wasn't expecting but I am happy she is getting to be a mother. It is something she used to say every once in a while that she wanted when we would talk about the future together.

It was something Kaira had always mentioned being a better mother than hers was and how she wouldn't force her child to do things they may hate. A fate that Kaira knew all to well with the lessons her mom would put her through with paino or painting and none of it she liked doing. Just like the entire trying to force her to follow a career path Karia didn't want and I am beyond proud Kaira didn't follow through with her moms wishes.

Then it isn't to mention how her mother just wouldn't be around to spend time with Kaira. She would get drunk occassionally and spew how it must have been Kaira's fault their father didn't stick around. A fate that always bothered Kaira and took me a bit to help her see it wasn't her fault but her fathers and mothers because she was just a infant at the time it took place.

"He is a little over nine years old." Her statement makes me focus once more.

Then I pause. Mind blank. I can feel as my mouth opens and closes.

What?

"I'm sorry I didn't hear that right." I blink and Kaira winces.

"You did Erik. My son, Samuel, is a little over nine years old."

Math is simple. It is easy. Right now I can't believe the math that I am adding up.

"So he." I stop and watch as her head nods. "He is my son."

"Yes."

There is silence and she looks down to the table.

"I had honestly thought he was Daryl's." I finally breath out.

Kaira shakes her head. "No, he and I were together almost two years. Him and Samuel are friends."

"Can I meet him?"

Kaira looks up and nods. "I wouldn't stop you from meeting your son. First I need to talk to him though, because when he was four and asked where his father was I told him you weren't on earth anymore."

I wince. "So he believes me dead too."

"Sadly yes and ever since then he has never asked about his father since." She sighs. "This is so messed up. All the years stolen from you, me, Samuel." Her hands rake her hair back and tuck the strands behind her ears.

The sight makes me smile as I notice the piercing at the top of the lobe. A lone pink diamond. One I had gave her our second Valentine's Day together and she swore she would never have a different stone or thing to place in that piercing.

"You're staring." She whispers and her cheeks turn the nice shade of pink.

"I would apologize but I am not sorry at all." I shrug.

"This has to be a lot for you too." She sighs and I nod.

"I had something in my gut tell me I would find you one day and I am beyond grateful for it. Just a shock to find out the lie you had thought and then we have a son."

Her head nods. "Mom was so mad when she found out I was pregnant but I made sure to get a job and I worked to provide our son with everything."

"Samuel." I smile and then it clicks. "That is a name that."

"We had picked out once when we were just talking about the future for fun." She cuts in with a nod.

I can't stop the smile at all.

"He is like you though great at video games and loves playing them."

A laugh pours from me. "I can't wait to meet him."

Her face scrunches and then she smiles. "I don't work on the weekends but I don't know your schedule."

"Free immediately." I cut in and she laughs.

"I can talk with him then see if is wants to meet you."

I nod. "I would understand if he needs time to digest everything."

"Thanks." She smiles.

"How is Josh?" I ask after a moment.

"He is good. Wanted me to give you this." She moves and then pulls a piece of paper out sliding it to me. "Said to give him a call or text so that you guys can talk."

I nod and pull my phone out to add it to my phone. "Could I get your number?"

She gives it to me and I save it too.

"When is your wedding?" I ask not really ready to cut the time with her just yet if I can help it after so many years.

Kaira sighs. "Never."

"Never?"

She shakes her head. "Daryl and I spoke after I was off here earlier. The wedding has been called off and we are just going to be friends. Besides seems like he has something new that may be coming up for him in the romance department."

"Sorry." I frown. "I didn't mean to cause things to end."

"You didn't really or I don't see it like that. Daryl always knew I had true love and my love for you never went away. While I did love him it was never strong like ours had been and he was okay with that but also I think our relationship was coming to an end when I think over the last couple of months we were seeing each other less and maybe together once." She rambles then stops.

I slowly nod. "As long as your happy."

"I am happier than I was yesterday."

"Right there with you."

She moves her watch and frowns. "I must be getting home."

I stand from the booth and she follows. "Thank you for letting me come in."

"We needed this time to talk honestly." She smiles and I join her in the action.

My eyes watch as she grabs a small bag and unlocks the door for us to exit the Diner. She closes the door back and then locks it up.

"Text me so that I can get your number and I can let you know what Samuel says."

I nod. "I will do that and appreciate you letting me know." My nerves bounce everywhere.

"Talk to you soon." Kaira smiles then slowly turns to a car and I watch her walk off.

There is still so many questions I have and our time seem to go by to fast. I know I am beyond happy is the main emotion flowing through me. A huge amount of shock that floods through still and sadness follows it after all these years.

One thing I know for sure I want.

Her.

I want the love of my life back.

Just hope we are able to get back there but first work through getting to know each other again.