16. Bicycles

Having slept through the alarm, I get up and see Samuel still sleeping so I return to my bedroom

Having slept through the alarm, I get up and see Samuel still sleeping so I return to my bedroom. I check my phone and notice the battery is dead which explains why my alarm didn't wake me, so I plug it in. With a sigh not knowing if I have gotten a text yet, I go to the master bath to shower.

Feeling refreshed and dressed in jeans and a soft shirt, I set out to make some breakfast. My phone pings before I leave the room and see it has came back on, so I grab it and move to the kitchen. To only plug it on the charger I leave here and look through the notifications.

One is from Josh saying he is out for the day. Next is from Kate replying with how her girlfriend was. Lastly, I see a number I didn't have in my phone. Erik.

I get a giddy feeling in my chest and just as I go to reply back with my plans for today on speaking with Samuel, I hear feet on the floor. My fingers type and then I look up just as Samuel comes around the corner.

"Morning Sammy."

"Morning." He yawns.

"Want some breakfast"

He nods. "Pancakes?"

"You got it. Blueberry or chocolate chip?"

"Blueberry."

"Go get cleaned up and dressed while I cook." I smile and walk over kissing the top of his head before he turns back to his room.

I walk over and start the batter for the pancakes. As it sits to become the correct constancy, I check my phone and see I never actually got to send the text. I push send and grimace. Truly I should pay better attention to my phones battery power.

With the flat skillet heated and the batter ready, I feel a bit adventurous this morning and grab the bag of metal cookie cutters. I place one down and add some batter to it then grab a spatula to flip the pancake and tongs to remove the cookie cutter once the pancake is cooked a couple minutes. I have several shapes making at once to keep my busy, while also cooking up some sausage and eggs.

Always a great way to calm the feeling inside me that's been bubbling.

"It always smells so good, Mama."

I turn and smile as Samuel sits on the stool at the counter where I've done placed several pancakes on a plate. I plate eggs and sausage on two others and slide one to him with a fork. "Dig in."

Samuel uses his fork to take a pancake from the pile and place on his plate. I pull the whip cream out and put in on the counter top for us both. I finish the last pancake and Samuel giggles.

"You hadn't made shapes in a long time."

"I was feeling adventurous this morning." I kiss his head then take a seat with my plate.

We eat in silence and then I clean the kitchen up as Samuel goes to the living room to play a video game. My mind starts to turn on how to go about talking to Samuel. How he may take it all? It is the worst when the mind goes to racing on the 'what ifs' and the outcome typically comes out different.

Drying my hands, I take a deep breath and walk to the living room.

"What do you want to do today?"

Samuel pauses the game and hums. "I'm not sure."

"Want to go out and cycle?"

He nods. "We hadn't bicycled in a while. Can we go to the trail paths at the park?"

With being decided I put a small backpack together before we put on tennis shoes and coats then lock the house up and I walk out to the shed. I pull his bike out then mine, while he is putting his helmet on. Once he is ready we set out and cycle to the closest park then make it to the trails and stop. "Short or long?"

"Long one? It has the best view."

I nod and agree with him.

My mind calms as we cycle and then come to a stop where the trees are spread a little more where a resting area is located. The view one of my favorites with a small creek that has a miniature type waterfall.

I hand a bottle of water to Samuel and he sips it while looking at the view.

"Samuel?"

He hums before looking at me with a smile.

"Do you remember when you were younger and asked about your father?"

He nods. "Yeah and I remember how you cried that night when you thought I was asleep."

Now to just rip the stitch open and tell the truth. "Well it turns out he isn't dead but very much alive. Your grandma had lied to me in the matter."

I watch as Samuel frowns then smiles. "Really?"

I nod and smile. "Yes and he is in town."

"Can I see him?" He cuts me off and I can't stop the laugh.

"Yes, Sammy, you can meet him."

"Is that why Daryl wasn't here this morning? He normally calls or comes over."

"Daryl and I are not together in a relationship way anymore and just going to be friends. He said he would still be around though so you guys can play the video games together."

Samuel frowns.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry you never got to meet your father. I feel lucky and excited to have this opportunity, but you didn't get to feel this happiness."

I lean over and pat his back. "Don't feel down on that. Let's focus on the happiness now with you going to be meeting your father. I can send him a text whenever you are ready for me too."

"Hope he doesn't mind but I'm going to have questions."

I laugh and shake my head while putting his water bottle back in the bag. "Trust me, he will not mind the questions at all."

I jerk my head as he smiles looking at me and we begin cycling once more. Finishing the trail and making it back home. As I place the bicycles back up, Samuel asks if we could text Erik and I do just that after getting inside the house.