45. Back

One week of total fun and bliss as a family of three has came to an end

Samuel sleeps in the back of the truck just as we get back into town from the long journey home. He was talking for the longest on all the fun we had and got to experience while at the moutains. Samuel couldn't choose between the aquarium or theme park on which was the most fun since he got to walk in the tunnel where the fishes could swim around us at the aquarium, even seeing some sharks just feet away.

I park the truck at the Diner as Kaira had wanted us to stop in for dinner and so she can check on things while we were away. Kaira turns in the seat. "Sammy, time to wake up so we can go in and get dinner." Her hand reaches back and shakes his shoulder some.

Samuel opens his eyes and smiles.

I get out of the truck and open Samuel's door where he gets out before I round the truck to Kaira. She hops out and takes Samuel's hand while mine goes to her lower back. Before opening the door for them.

"Your back!" Kate bounces up and the diner slow as we missed rush hour. "How was it?"

"So much fun!" Samuel speaks up first as I smile and look over to Kaira to see her do the same. He tells Kate all about our vacation as they walk to a booth.

"I definitely want to see pictures. Give me a minute to get drinks." Kate smiles as we sit down.

"Give me a moment and I will be back." Kaira smiles and gets up from the booth, I watch as she walks to the back kitchen door and enters.

"Boss woman is back!" Terry's voice carries through before the door closes and I chuckle lightly.

"So what are you going to do now we are back?" Samuel's question has me turning to look at him.

"Work and spending time with you." I nudge his arm with my elbow making him smile.

"Here you guys go." Kate smiles and puts the drinks down. "Do you know what you want?"

Samuel and I tell her what we would like and she nods then moves to the back.

We talk about different things to do and someone walks up.

"Hey you two." Daryl smiles.

"Hi." Samuel waves.

"Hey man." I nod. "Join us?"

"Thanks." He smiles and sits where Kaira was at. "Get back from the vacation?"

I nod and Samuel tells him what we done.

"You are gutsy to face a bear off." Daryl laughs.

"Stupid in ways." Kaira's voice pipes back up and Daryl stands from the booth. I stand and she slides in the seat as Daryl and I trade places so I can sit next to her.

"It isn't that big of a bear."

"Erik, that was a full size bear." Kaira shakes her head.

"He was more upset he didn't get food." I chuckle.

"A trip to remember in many ways." Daryl smiles. "When are you starting work back up?"

"Tomorrow but I will have times where I am not working as hard of course with the rest of summer break."

He nods. "I got the papers signed from the investors you were wanting but wouldn't text while you were on vacation."

"Thank you." I nod and he nods back.

Our food comes out and Daryl excuses himself wishing us a good night.

"Did he ever go with you on a vacation?" I ask Kaira after the first bite and she shakes her head.

"No, Daryl wouldn't leave work for a week and he said that time is for Mama and I to have fun." Samuel explains since Kaira had food in her mouth.

"Also he wasn't fond of theme parks or the ocean since he has a fear of water." She finishes.

Light conversation flows as we eat.

"So how was things here?" I turn to Kaira once Samuel gets up to use the bathroom.

"Good." She smiles. "Kate and Terry held things down with ease as normal."

"Always." Kate comes by laughing as she is cleaning the diner.

Samuel comes back and we get out to the truck, making it to their house in no time. I help get their bags in and Samuel changes into his pajamas and then goes right to bed making us laugh.

"Long drives always tires him out."

I nod. "Can't blame him. I better get back to the apartment too." I yawn.

She nods slowly. "I really enjoyed all our time together this past week. It felt like."

"Felt like what?" I smile and pull her into my arms.

"We were a family."

I lean down and capture her lips in a tender kiss. Kaira responds to it and melts into my chest, her hands move to my hair.

"We are." I smile and she mirrors it.

"Text me when you make it to the apartment."

I nod and she stands by the door until I get in the truck. I watch as she closes it before I leave the driveway.

The drive is quick and easy. Sitting in the truck, I text Kaira like promised before getting out of the truck. I unlock the door and Josh turns to look at me from the couch.

"Man you look exhausted." He laughs.

I nod. "It was fun but starting to tell how tiring it all was." I laugh. Not to mention barely any sleep as Kaira and I kept the nights very busy.

Being back in this apartment though, it is just that an apartment. A place to work and sleep for the most part. Roof over my head. It just doesn't feel like home. Nothing like how I feel when with Kaira and Samuel.

"There is some pizza in there." Josh nods to the kitchen.

"No thanks man, we stopped by the diner and ate before I took Kaira and Samuel home."

"Nice." Josh smiles.

"How was work while we were away?" I ask and sit on the chair.

"Interesting and the same as it has since I started there." He shrugs.

I laugh and stand back up. "I'm beat."

Josh laughs and nods.

I wave to Josh and he goes back to watching tv as I take my bag to the room. I take a quick shower and put on boxers before falling into the bed face first. Sleep doesn't come easy though, as the bed feels so cold without Kaira next to me.