56. Something Blue

"Order

"Order."

A ticket gets placed down and I nod, walking over to grab it.

The weather is still nice even if a little cool. The next holiday is around the corner but I am cooking within the kitchen of the Diner. Terry on one stove and I on the other.

Something I have took up doing since Thanksgiving. It helped having some cooking skills but I have started coming in to help on the busier days when Samuel is in school. Between Terry and Kaira, I have learned to cook up the foods they serve here.

Today was supposed to be Terry's day off and Kaira cooking but she is out front serving as he came in. Boredom of not working brings him in and it makes us laugh.

The next video game project, I am slowly working on but still thinking through how to advance levels and such. Sometimes the build up of plans takes time and I am in no hurry just working it as it comes. To which Samuel has been a great help as this game will involve dragon characters and working through to find their diamonds to win the game in defeating the dragon slayer.

"Hey Dad." Samuel waves as he goes into the office with his backpack.

I wipe my hands and walk to the door of the office then lean on the frame. "How was school?"

"Good and same but now no school until after the holidays." He smiles as he grabs his gaming device.

"Hungry?"

"Yeah it was hotdogs at lunch." His grimace makes me laugh and I walk out.

"I got it." Terry smiles as he nods to the food on his grill top on the stove.

"Thanks." I get back to the other orders and smile as Terry takes Samuel his food before taking the tickets from the ladies as they come back.

With my area clean, I wipe my hands once more and then walk to the office and sit in a chair. "Ready to leave out?"

Samuel looks up and nods. "It is early though."

"Well you see your mom thinks we are going home because I got some paperwork to do with the new game."

"But?" Samuel smiles and sits up straighter.

"We are going to go find her some gifts to put under our tree."

Samuel closes the gaming device and gets up from the chair within a minutes time. "What are you sitting there for? Let's go old man your slow."

I can't stop the laughter that comes from me. Getting up from the chair, we leave out the back door since Kaira had known of it anyhow.

Samuel and I walk around the stores at the mall. As we walk from a shop that had some holiday candies, I turn hearing laughter as we come out.

"What are you doing here?" Kaira gasps and Kate jumps behind her.

"We were shopping plus had to come for some truffles since the shop only makes them this time of year. What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing." Kaira smiles a bit to wide as her eyes bounce between Samuel and I.

Samuel stands partially behind me while hiding the bags that he has insisted he carries.

I smirk and see a long black bag in Kate's hand. Kaira laughs. "It is funny you were supposed to be tending to paperwork."

"I did." Not a lie since I have just signed them when slow between cooking today. "Having fun?"

"Loads." Kate snickers and then turns. "Oh truffles." She darts in the store with the long black bag.

"She is acting weird. Everyone is." Samuel mumbles making Kaira and I laugh.

"We were sneaking out to do Christmas shopping. Who is at the Diner?"

"Mason and Daryl." Kaira smiles. "Kate and I snuck away because I was needing to find my dress. Daryl was there and offered to help do the waiting tables so I took his offer since he can manage that."

"We came to do gift shopping." I rub my neck.

"In that case, have fun and we can part here." Kaira laughs and pecks my lips once then I feel behind my back as Samuel hand me the bags. He moves around and she kisses the top of his head.

I watch her walk into the shop after Kate. Samuel and I jog over to the other side of the mall and stop to laugh.

"We got busted."

"That we did." I ruffle his hair. "Okay so anywhere we can look next?"

"Aren't you supposed to have those answers?" Samuel giggles.

"I have choose the last three stores."

He hums. "Mama likes changing her first ear piercings out and doesn't but but two piercings to choose from."

"Good thought. Let's go look there and maybe find something for her to wear blue on our wedding day to gift her with."

Samuel smiles big and we walk through the mall to the jelewry store. Before we reach the store Kaira and Kate wave to us and laugh once more before we watch them leave the mall.

A lady welcomes us and we get shown to where they have many options for earrings available. Samuel and I look over them and pick out a stud.

"Do you have something blue here?"

"Of course. Do you have a preference in if it is earrings, necklace, or braclet?"

"A charm for a bracelet." Samuel states and I nod.

"Right this way." She motions and we follow her as she holds the earring we plan to get her.

The lady pulls out many charms and I look over them. "Which do you think Sammy?"

"This one?" He points and the woman picks it up to hand for us to look at closer.

The light makes it sparkle and I hand it back to her. "This is the one." I smile and she nods. I pay for the items and we make it out from the store.

"What do you want for dinner?" I look over to Samuel.

"Pizza?"

"Sounds perfect to me. Let's go by and pick some up then go home."

Once home, I see Kaira has made it home and Samuel places the bags into his backpack since it only has a notebook in there. We laugh as he races to his room and hides the gifts until I can get with him to wrap them up for her later tonight.