CHAPTER 29

Underneath the bridge in his makeshift base, Mahito lounged on a hammock and perused a book. "Special Grade Imaginary Cursed Spirit," he said.

"Some Cursed Spirits are classified as such, composed of cursed energy that flows from humans."
He continued, “Even if they don't exist physically, fearful common perceptions that humans share make it easy to manifest as a powerful curse.”

Yoshino pondered, “Fearful common perceptions that humans share? Are you referring to famous monsters or ghost stories?”

“That's right,” Mahito confirmed, showing Yoshino the book page.

“There are many of those, like Hanako-san or the Nine-Tailed Fox. Jujutsu Sorcerers classify them as Special Grade Imaginary Cursed Spirits and deal with them accordingly.”
He added, “The same goes for unknown and powerful curses. They are usually categorized as such too. I guess that's all they see.”

Mahito glanced over at Yoshino and said, "But what people usually fear isn't just myths like these."

Yoshino thought for a moment before hazarding a guess, “Are you referring to natural disasters?”

Mahito smiled, “It's great that talking to you doesn't give me stress.”

Yoshino fidgeted in embarrassment, “No, well…”

The faint sound of a haunting echo reverberated through one of the tunnels.

Yoshino peeked towards the source of the noise, but Mahito approached him before he could investigate.

“Humans… They fear the earth, the forest, and the ocean,” Mahito spoke eerily. “The cursed energy flowing into them is too great. Before they took form, they hid out of sight as they gained knowledge.” He rested his hand on Yoshino's cheek, his voice hushed, “I'm proud that every one of them is my comrade.”

“What kind of curse are you, Mahito?” Yoshino's eyes shook as he asked Mahito a bold question.

Mahito parted his bangs, revealing cigarette burns on his forehead. “Human. I'm a curse born from the hate people feel for one another.”

Shuuei High School Detached Office.
“The recent disappearances and bizarre deaths have been consolidated into residuals report by a window,”

Nanami discussed as he pointed to the map on the board. “With this, we can pinpoint the culprit's hideout within a certain range.”

"Ok then...so are we going to barge in?" Izuku asked while opening his bag that contained the katana but Nanami stopped him.

“No, this is just an approximation,” Nanami replied. “I'll continue the investigation. I have another job for you, Midoriya-kun.”
Nanami pinned a photo on the board and explained, “This is Yoshino Junpei, the teenager that was in the cinema. He went to the same school as the victims.”

He switched on the surveillance camera, displaying footage of Junpei fleeing the scene. “Based on his behavior from the surveillance video, he's unlikely to be a Curse User. However, the connection between him and the victims is another matter.”

“Curse User?” Izuku asked.

“The evil version of a Jujutsu Sorcerer,” Nanami clarified. “I've left the protocols to Ijichi-kun, so I would like the both of you to investigate Junpei Yoshino.”