CHAPTER 30

Nanami stood in the sewage with his blunt knife dripping with blood. “If you're going to come out, do it now.”

“They may look distorted, and it's too late to save them, but it's unpleasant to kill humans,” he said as he straightened his tie.

Mahito came out of the darkness. “Wow, I'm glad. I would be troubled if Gojo Satoru was here. But if someone too weak comes, I can't have my experiment.”

Nanami placed his hand on his neck, "I don't enjoy working overtime. Let's try to wrap this up quickly." Even in the midst of the tense scenario, he couldn't help but recall Gojo's playful antics from before, where he would jump around and joke, saying, “I’ll kill you~”

Nanami lunged forward, throwing himself at Mahito with all his might, wielding his blunt knife. The two clashed ferociously, exchanging blows in rapid succession. As they fought, he thought, 'They feel similar. That perfectly flippant attitude and the sinister strength behind it.'

Mahito then sprang back into the water as Nanami relentlessly pursued him, slashing his knife in a flurry of blows. Suddenly, Mahito surged forward, launching an attack of his own, which Nanami skillfully dodged.

Seizing the opportunity, Nanami renewed his attack by swinging his knife again. Mahito swerved to evade the strike but was taken aback as Nanami spun his body around, catching him with a powerful kick that pushed him backwards.

As Nanami unleashed a powerful swing of his knife towards Mahito's defensive stance, bisecting lines materialized before him, perfectly aligning with the trajectory of his strike. With a resounding impact, Nanami's attack shattered Mahito's wrist, nearly severing it in its entirety.

“What? I should've blocked it with cursed energy,” Mahito wondered aloud as he waved his almost severed hand. “Is it that kind of cursed technique?”

Nanami pointed his knife at Mahito and said with a serious expression, “What do you mean by "that kind"? I hate open-ended questions that are directly thrown at the other party.”

Mahito grinned in response and said, "That's great. You don't dislike talking."

“It depends on the opponent,” Nanami said as he pondered. 'A Cursed Spirit that can communicate this well… Gojo-san’s report only mentioned two unregistered Special Grade Curse Spirits. It's hard to believe that there's no connection between the two.'

“Hey, which one do you think came first? The soul or the body?” Mahito suddenly asked.

“What?”

“Isn't there a similar question? Did the chicken or the egg come first?” Mahito pointed out. “Is the soul hosted in the body? Or is the soul enveloping the body?”

'I guess I have to hear him out', Nanami thought. He responded, “The former.”

“Bzzzt! Wrong, the latter is the answer,” Mahito raised his hand as it slowly knit back together. “The soul always comes before the body. The shape of the body is affected by the shape of the soul. I'm not healing myself. I'm just preserving the shape of my soul consciously.”

Mahito took out a small transfigured human and said, "You should understand, right? My cursed technique is to touch the soul and change its shape." He then chanted, "Idle Transfiguration."