Chapter 79 Returning Home

The day after receiving the letter, Qingyan went to town to mail a package. Although the money spent was many times more expensive than sending a letter, he didn't feel bad.

The bag contained a piece of clothing that Qingyan often wore at home, a sachet he learned to make from Aunt Li, and a letter.

The next envelope sent back from Fengyuguan contained a plain white handkerchief. Qingyan picked it up and looked at it for a while before remembering that it was the one he put under his copybook when he first started learning calligraphy from Qiu Henian. , given to the other party.

He had almost forgotten about it, but unexpectedly, Qiu Henian kept it well and took it with him to the northwest.

The two of them just sent letters back and forth, so many times, that two months passed unknowingly.

...

This summer, Qingyan didn't dare to eat cold food, for fear that she would trouble others if she got sick again.

The vegetables in the fields were growing one after another. Qingyan couldn't eat them all by himself, so he sold most of them at the market and gave some to Aunt Li and Qiuniang.

This year, the fields are mainly planted with rice and soybeans. Qingyan has made up his mind to open a store, and puts all his energy and investment into the store. The fields have not been expanded, and the food produced in the fields is mainly reserved for his own consumption. , you don't have to go out to buy rice and soybean oil all year round, and you can sell what you can't finish to make some money.

Starting from late July, the frequency of letters from Fengyuguan became more and more frequent. Sometimes, because the letters were sent too frequently and there were delays on the way, Qingyan would even receive two letters at the same time.

There are not many words in these letters. Most of what Qiu Henian wrote in his letters was about the scenery around his residence.

Qingyan vaguely felt that something was wrong, so he compared several consecutive letters together, only to find that the letters he received recently all mentioned the same crabapple tree outside the window. Although the words and sentences were beautiful and delicate, they described the tree's growth day after day. He also wrote eloquently about the changes he had seen, the books he had read, the food he had eaten, etc. If he didn't think about it carefully, he couldn't notice anything, but if he looked carefully, he discovered that Qiu Henian must have been in the house these days and never went out.

"Mountains and Rivers" mentions the structure of houses in the northwest. Bedrooms are generally oriented north-south, with a fire wall on the east or west side of the kang, and windows on the wall close to the kang on the north side.

Outside the window is often the back garden of the home. In the back garden next to the window, every family has planted fruit trees, especially crabapples.

Begonia blooms in spring and bears fruit in autumn. It blooms brilliantly and bears fruit in dense layers. It is a beautiful sight.

However, Qingyan looked at the sheets of paper spread out on the bed, her eyes red.

I couldn't go out of the house, so I could only lie on the kang every day and look at the crabapple tree outside the window.

Qingyan couldn't imagine how uncomfortable it was to have someone like Qiu Henian write to him one after another.

At the beginning of August, these letters stopped abruptly. For half a month, Qingyan only received one letter. The content was only a few words to report that he was safe, and the indispensable sentence in every letter was "I am very happy." Miss you".