Newtmas - Someone New

Here's my first one-shot! Enjoy!
Based on: Someone New by Hozier

Thomas' POV

I glanced up and saw Newt looking over at me from where he was working in the garden. He saw me catch him staring and quickly looked away, a slight blush visible on his pale cheeks. I laughed to myself as I rose from my seat and made my way over to him. At first he didn't notice me stood there, either that or he chose to ignore me, so I cleared my throat to get his attention. He jumped, startled and looked up at me.

"Bloody hell, Tommy! You scared me, you shank!" Newt exclaimed as he stuck his shovel into the ground and leant against it. I smirked at him and raised my eyebrows ever so slightly.

"Really? Well, I wasn't the one staring off into space when I should have been working." I retorted, smugly. He blushed at my comment and looked down to his shoes, losing his confidence for a second.

"I...I wasn't staring. I was...I was thinking about something." He stuttered. My heart skipped a beat when he said that. If only he was thinking about me, only I knew that would never be true. Newt would never like me like that and anyway, I had a girlfriend! Though, I have to admit, I'd rather be dating Newt than Teresa.

"Yeah? And what was that?" I questioned.

"Ummm...about how long I have to wait until I can take a break?" Newt replied, sounding slightly unsure of his answer.

"Well the quicker yo-" I started before I was interrupted.

"Thomas! Get over here I've been waiting for ages! You can talk to Newt later." Teresa shouted from the treehouse. I sighed and looked apologetically at Newt as I turned and ran towards my girlfriend. Once at the top of the treehouse I sat down next to Teresa and gazed over the glade. Newt looked kind of upset as he picked up his shovel and continued digging. I really wanted to go back down and finish my conversation with him but I knew Teresa would get annoyed. She was right when she said I spend more time with Newt than her but who can blame me? Newt is amazing! He's beautiful, funny and smart. Why wouldn't I love him?

Wait! Did I say I love Newt? That can't be true! Can it? I don't know anymore!

I sighed in frustration, placing my head in my hands. Teresa gently put her hand on my back and comforted me.

"What's wrong? You seem stressed." She pointed out as she moved closer to rest her head on my shoulder. I kept quiet for a while whilst I looked over the glade trying to gather my thoughts.

"To be honest, I don't really know." I admitted. If only I knew why I kept having these feelings for Newt. Newt...my best friend...the boy with flawless skin, hair that looked like he'd just got out of bed yet was unbelievably soft, the boy with eyes that I could easily lose myself in. The boy who managed to make me see the world differently. Managed to make me laugh even on my worst days. Managed to melt my heart within seconds just by smiling at me. Why didn't I ever think these things about Teresa? My girlfriend!

Here I was sat cuddled up with my girlfriend whilst I listed every reason why I loved my best friend. Sat wishing I was cuddled next to him not her. Wishing he would hold me in his arms and whisper he loved me in my ear. Wishing he was the one I woke up next to every day. Wishing that I was all he ever thought about, that he just couldn't get me out of his mind.

Only that's not what's real. The truth is that I'm sat with a girl who believes that she is all I'll ever need and ever want but she isn't. He's all I'll ever need. He's all I'll ever want. I shouldn't be dating Teresa I should be dating Newt.