1 *

AN// most chapters will be in text form but some will be like this. (Especially later in the story because when they meet they'll be together instead of texting.)

{ o n e }

Luke looked out of the car window, sighing as the condensation failed to let him see anything but blurry shapes skim past.

"Maybe it'll be different this term, Luke," his step father told him, glancing at him as he tried to keep his eyes on the road. "You never know."

"I doubt it." Luke replied under his breath and his step father sighed, giving up on getting his step sons spirits up.

This is Luke's last year and term of high school- finally, and in exactly 6 months he can get out of the hell hole of education. That's the problem though, this is his last term. That's one whole term to get through.

Luke pretty much gets depressed at the idea of it.

"Aren't you even a little excited? You get to see your friend again...Mitchell?" Luke sighed. It was typical that his family still didn't remember his best friends name, Michael could live in their house and they'd still forget it.

"Michael." Luke corrected softly, not bothering to get annoyed. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

"That's the one." His step father replied eagerly, thinking he'd finally started a conversation with Luke. After a few seconds and another glance over he realized that he was getting nowhere and with a frown, decided to just let them drive in silence.

Luke was actually quite grateful and welcomed the silence with a small smile. God knows he wouldn't get any silence as soon as he stepped foot on the school grounds.

He enjoyed watching the blurs pass his eyes on his journey. It kept his mind busy as he tried to figure out what each one was. The car soon pulled to a stop and Luke's frown deepened dramatically as he looked out of the front window.

The red brick building was still the same and it made Luke cringe.

"Have a good day son." His step dad told him. Luke rolled his eyes, pulling down his sweater to cover more of his legs before grabbing his backpack and opening the passenger door.

"See you at 3." Came Luke's blunt reply and he stepped out, flinging his bag over his shoulder and onto his back. He had to really bend to get out of his step fathers small car, he was taller than all of the people in his family and it was a huge disadvantage sometimes.

Luke ignored whatever his step father said as he slammed the door shut behind him. He was playing with the sleeves of his grey sweater nervously and biting at his recently pierced lip, making a dull ache form where the ripped skin was pulling.

The ache was taking his mind off of a few things though.

He walked towards the boring building, his sweater going over more of his hands with each step and the pain in his lip increasing as the nerves in his stomach seemed to grow.

You're getting yourself worked up over nothing, he told himself. Finally he stepped foot into the building. He was greeted by the same boring sight of the long hallway filled with lockers, adjoining doors in between some that lead to smaller rooms that were used for storage.

There were only a few groups in the hallway at this point. Luke was thankful. He kept playing with the frays on the end of his sweater as he walked down the hallway, all the way to end where he knew his locker would be located.

The door of his locker was still the same, blue but a little but charcoaled in the corner from where someone had set a fire in the empty locker next to his. He traced his finger over the black marks and indents, the familiarity finally setting in.

"They still haven't changed your fuckin' locker door? Are they idiots?" For the first time that day, Luke smiled.

He turned, his best friends bright red hair coming into view first before his eyes locked on Michael's face. Michael was beaming back at him and even though they'd seen each other the day before they always smiled whenever they saw each other. This time being no different.

They were soul mates but in best friend form really.

"Hey Mikey." Luke said quietly, turning back and tuning in his locker combination, making the door make a small clicking sound. Luke rattled the door for a few seconds before it opened.

Michael leant against the locker next to Luke's- the one that actually got a new door when it was damaged, and waited for his friend to finish whatever he was doing. He eyes scanned the area before they landed on a girl in a cheerleader uniform.

He hummed in appreciation, scanning her up and down as he listened to Luke moving things around next to him. The girl was with another girl who wasn't wearing the uniform, and Michael's eyes followed them as they walked over to a group of jocks.

The girl he was checking out leant into one of them and crossed her arms of her chest. Michael's eyes had a mind of their own as he glanced down at her cleavage before looking back up at the group quickly.

Luke's locker rattling shut diverted his attention back to his best friend and he smiled.

"Ready to get our new timetables?" Michael asked Luke. Luke nodded, pressing his fingers against the charcoaled part of his locker before they both walked away from it, heading towards the group of jocks and cheerleaders.

Luke subtly moved so Michael was more towards them than he was, pulling the edge of his sweater down again before pulling the sleeves over his hands.

"You alright?" Michael asked him. Luke noticed that he was staring at a girl in a cheerleader uniform though so he decided that he didn't need to answer Michael's question.

The girl noticed as they passed right by them, her mouth dropping open and a scoff leaving. Luke heard the sound; turning his head on instinct. He accidentally locked eyes with a tan boy wearing a football jersey and he kicked himself mentally.

"Come on Luke." Michael told his friend quietly, trying to pull him away from the situation before Luke got hurt. Luke turned and continued walking with Michael.

"Nice outfit, fairy!" Was heard shouted behind them, the familiar voice of the jock he locked eyes with ringing through his skull. Loud laughter echoed through the halls and Luke looked down at his clothes self consciously as Michael continued to pull him away from the chaos.

They were at the office in a few minutes and the insult was still replaying itself through Luke's mind. Michael took his hand, leaning against the wall as they waited for the receptionist. He turned Luke's head to make him look Michael in the eyes.

"I think your outfit is great." Michael told Luke honestly.

Luke looked down at his girly sweater and skinny jeans, giving a non committal shrug as he pulled his hand away and waited to get his timetable so this day could be closer to being over already.