57 *

{ f i f t y s e v e n }

Calum sat on his sofa, his mom next to him and his dad pacing in front of them both. He knew this day was coming, Calum had missed one too many practices and now his father had begun to get impatient.

"I don't get it Calum. You say you like football and now you don't show up? Explain, please just explain to me what could possible be taking up this much of your free time?" His father ranted, red faced as he paced. "Don't think your mother and I haven't noticed you sneaking out of the house at all hours too. Have you met a girl?" His father stopped right in front of Calum, looking him square in the eye with a cemented frown.

"It's okay if you have a girlfriend sweetie, we won't mind. Just tell us things." His mom patted his knee softly before putting he hands back in the correct position. Calum's family was all about being picture perfect, not a hair could be out of place.

They lived on the rich side of town, per say. The house was much too big for the three of them but was still furnished with the most exquisite furniture and polished daily top to bottom by his non-working, trophy-wife mother. Calum was down to earth, well he liked to think so anyway, but he knew his parents were happy about splashing their money.

It wasn't even well earned, all of it was inherited from his grandfather when he died but that doesn't mean they don't like to show it off as if it was their own anyway.

His mother had learned to sit with perfect posture, hands in her lap and back straight, sitting on the edge of the sofa. Calum, however, liked to sprawl and dangle his legs over the edge and curl into the back of the sofa with his hands falling wherever he felt comfortable. God forbid he sat like this if a guest were at their house.

Calum realized he hadn't answered his parents and sighed. "No, I haven't met a girl." His father fumed.

"Then what?! I will not have my son leaving my house at all hours without knowing where he is going. Is it parties? Are you getting around? Level with me Calum!" His father was intimidating, even if Calum had been living with him for eighteen years, he still got scared. Calum's father had bulging muscles from being a footballer and gym trainer, he had an angry jawline and biting words and everything he said could get to Calum. Calum always craved his approval, since he was a child.

Calum nodded meekly, agreeing to the statement and he watched his father calm down and his mother start to worry.

"Just tell us if you want to go to more parties next time. I know how boys your age are; I was that age once." He glanced to Calum's mother. "Just...use protection, okay?" His mom pouted from where she sat because she knew that it was a dig at how they first met. She didn't regret a thing, though she probably should've, but it gave her Calum and a husband.

"Yes sir." Calum replied. His father nodded before turning to leave the room.

"Stop missing practice. Football is more important, always." Calum didn't agree but nodded without hesitation. Luke was his new always but nobody had to know that but the boy himself. Calum told himself that his parents didn't need to know about Luke because what Calum does in his spare time is none of their business.

Although he knew Luke was long-term, he just had to be really good at keeping secrets. His father would never accept him and he's known that from a young age. Hiding is the only thing he can do and before Luke he was pretty good at it. Even if people did begin to find out, he would still have Luke, and maybe that's all that matters.