20 *

{ t w e n t y }

"Is Richard still standing up for you?" Luke's step father asked him in the car on Monday morning, and Luke turned to his step father with furrowed eyebrows and an expression that said he couldn't believe what he just said.

Richard was the worst thing they had called Michael yet.

"I've been friends with Michael for 6 years, you know this don't you?" Luke rhetorically asked his step father, pushing himself further into his seat. Luke was cuddled up in his hoody because thankfully winter was the current season and Luke loved hoody weather because he just enjoyed being engulfed in warm clothes.

"Michael, that's the one." His step father hummed absentmindedly and Luke could almost see the name go in one ear and out of the other as his step dad continued to keep his eyes on the road. "Is he?"

"Of course he is." Luke told the older man quietly, playing around with his hoody. This one wasn't his usual black one though, it was light blue and way too big on him as it used to belong to Michael before he decided to wear it and never return it one day.

"Good." The man replied and that was the end of the conversation. Luke let his breath steam up the windows in the small car, waiting for the car to pull into the parking lot for his own personal hell. It wasn't long before the car came to a halt, Luke grabbing his bag as he swung open the passenger door.

Neither of them said anything as Luke ducked his head and exited the car; nothing needed to be said.

He walked into building keeping his head low. Michael wasn't at his locker when he arrived, he noticed. He ran his hand over the black edge as he used his other hand to tune in his code and heard the lock click. He rattled the door open just as Michael got to his side.

"Do you like it?" Michael asked him, pulling a lock of lilac hair away from his face and into the direction of Luke. Luke looked at his best friend, smiling and nodding. "Good. Good- is that my jumper?"

Luke slammed his locker closed, his cheeks heating up as he turned to his best friend. Michael saw his face and knew the answer immediately.

"Dude, I have been looking for that for ages!" Luke shrugged, looking down before smiling back up at Michael with hopeful puppy eyes. "You are a pain in my ass Lucas." Michael huffed.

"Thanks Mikey." Luke grinned, pulling his arms across his chest to hug the jumper closer to his small body. Michael was already looking at the the cheerleader he always seemed to stare at though, the one with almost her entire body wrapped around the pale jock that tripped Luke.

The girl was twisting her shiny black hair around her finger and trying to get the jocks attention but he was too busy talking to another jock with curly hair.

"Let's get to class, yeah?" Michael realised he'd been caught and smirked at Luke, nodding and heading the way Michael was intrigued with only seconds before. Luke pulled the sleeves of his jumper over his hands, he really hopes they don't say anything today.

There are only 5 of them. 4 boys- 3 of them jocks, and the attention seeking cheerleader. That could be enough to easily slip past. Michaels hair was usually the thing that caught their attention but he's dyed it now.

Luke realised he was wishful thinking we the girl locked eyes with him and pulled away from the pale jock slightly. Somehow, despite paying no attention to her, the jock noticed, glancing at the girl before locking angry eyes with Luke.

Luke stepped as close to Michael as he could. Michael could see everything happening and he was actually usually quite oblivious, but the girl he was staring at was looking in their direction.

Honestly, Michael likes to fuck around a little bit. He's young, he's got stamina, and a nice husky body to top it off. He winked at the girl, her boyfriends attention too busy on Luke to notice.

He realised now wasn't the time to make moves though because his best friend was obviously scared of the situation, and Luke was his best friend, all he had, and Luke meant more than a good fuck.

Michael threw his arm around the blonds shoulder, fighting a small smile as he heard Luke sigh in relief because Luke trusted Michael to protect him and he loved that.

Michael sent glared towards the small group, not giving a single fuck if they assumed he was gay like always- even the girl because that's all she was, a pretty girl and she didn't matter.

"Aw, why's your boyfriend always around twink? We wanted to have some fun with ya!" Michael knew the teasing was coming, but he didn't recognise the person it was coming from this time. A curly-headed boy wearing a bandanna that matched his school jersey.

The sentence he said registered in Michael's mind instantaneously, and sure, Michael didn't mind fighting but he wasn't usually one to pick them. But this jock, who looked too fucking old to be standing in a school hallway for a start, was here, new to the school, and already picking on people like Luke? The punk didn't even know the first thing about Luke.

"That's funny, like someone like him," he raked his eyes up and down the boy tucked nicely into the side of his body, "would even give you a second fucking glance for some fun." Michael was proud of that one, seeing a disgusted look fall onto the pricks face at what he was implying.

If there was anything he hated more than bullying it was homophobia. His sister was gay, his best friend (when male) was gay, people couldn't help their own sexuality and Michael hated people bullying just for the simple reason that they couldn't control who they liked.

Luke pressed himself further into Michael and Mikey only understood why when he saw that the group was slowly edging forward, trying to intimidate them both- him mostly.

"I'd rather kill myself." Luke winced at the choice of words coming from the jock. Michael smirked.

"How fortunate." Michael pressed his fingers lightly into Luke's side, leading the blonde away as he left the scene with the last word. Until seconds later.

"You can't protect him forever dickhead!" Michael clenched, his fingers digging into Luke's hip.

He could try and he could fucking succeed. Those punks were getting nowhere near his best friend because Michael would always be there, right by his side.

Luke knew he had the most amazing friend in the world, and even if he only had one (and maybe Calum but Luke didn't count him like he counted his Mikey) then his one was better than any amount that any other person had.