95 *

{ n i n e t y f i v e }

Luke glares at the back of Michael's head as they walk to music, still cursing him for the ridiculously unnecessary wake up call he got from his best friend this morning. 

("You're going to school, Luke! Get the fuck up!" 

"Why do you have water- Michael what the fuck!")

As they pass by the lockers, he's reminded of what he saw that morning walking into school, Calum pressing the red head cheerleader to a locker as they kissed, his friends ignoring it like yet another normal occurrence. He'd felt a stab in his heart then, a real sense of it really being over between them for the first time since Calum had ended things. 

The stab now, however, has bubbled into a small, angry itching sensation pressing against his rib cage. Realistically, he knows he has absolutely no right to be angry at Calum since he slept with someone else the day after they broke up, but he can't help it. 

Calum hadn't kissed anyone but Luke, and it felt good to hold that title. It also felt good that Calum had stayed true to himself, instead of making other people happy. 

Luke feels like everything has changed. 

"Hey, you sure you don't wanna skip?" Michael asks softly, hand stroking at his shoulder briefly. Luke gives a fake smile, one that Michael see's through, and shakes his head. The faux blond licks his lips before nodding slowly, holding open the door to the practise room and gesturing for him to walk in. 

Ashton and Calum are sat in silence, Calum reading a book that Luke recognizes as the one they're studying in English Lit, and Ashton on his phone in the corner of the room, legs crossed underneath him. 

"I'll tell her we're in." Michael says to Luke, brushing his pointer finger along Luke's arm as he walks back out of the practise room. Luke catches a glimpse of him walking into their music room across the hall before the door closes. 

He huffs and goes to sit against the radiator, swinging his bag round into his lap and pulling his phone out too, frowning at the lack of messages- and people to talk to. He really does need more friends. 

He scrolls through his camera roll instead, smiling at hundreds of pictures of him with Michael and his cats, a few with Calum that he just ignores. Michael comes back in soon enough, carrying a guitar with him 'to look busy' he explains with a shrug. Luke just gives a small laugh and lets Michael drop next to him. 

So they're basically stuck here for two hours now. Great. 

"You feel like singing?" Michael asks, picking up the guitar. Luke gives him a look. "Come on, you know I'm shit at singing." He pouts and Luke just rolls his eyes before nodding. 

Michael starts strumming something Luke doesn't recognize, smirking at him. He does it for a few seconds before laughing and saying, "Come on, Lucas, don't you think I'm pretty?" 

"You are not serious." Luke laughs, putting his head back against the radiator as the notes from Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream' register themselves in his mind. My just continues to strum and stare so Luke just shakes his head, quietly staring to sing, "I think you're pretty, without any make up on... I need the lyrics," He says to the beat, Michael catching eyes with him and holding back a laugh, "Cause I don't know the words to this song." 

Michael does laugh then, and Luke looks up to see Ashton smiling at them both. He stops playing and strums a random pattern, another Luke doesn't recognize. "What is that?" 

"Making it up," Michael says, still concentrating. "Ash, give me a beat real quick." Luke looks at Ashton who starts banging his hands on the floor like a drum, Michael speeding up his hand movements on the guitar. He didn't even know Michael and Ashton were on a nickname basis now. 

Luke hums lyrics under his breath, one's he wrote a while ago randomly. Michael stares at him until he rolls his eyes and starts singing them. 

"Well, I don't- slightly faster." They do just as he says. "Well I don't even like you, why'd you want to... go and make me feel this way. And I don't understand what's happened, I keep saying things I never say. S'all I got, sorry." Luke shrugs. "It sounded good though." 

"Are you guys finished?" Calum asks, huffing and holding the book down from his face. "I'm trying to read." 

"This is music." Luke says just as Michael opens his mouth. "You know, that one subject I'm not failing in?" Calum continues to stare at him. "Or am I failing it too? I don't know, my small IQ gets me confused sometimes." 

Calum's mouth drops open, and Michael is staring at Luke wide eyed. 

Luke stares as the kiwi boy rolls his eyes and brings the book back up to cover his face. Just because he's feeling slightly angry, he decides to pour more salt onto the wound. "If it annoys you, you can leave. Maybe get some football practise in for college, make your dad real proud." 

Calum brings the book down to glare at him and Luke holds in hands up in mock defense. 

"But what do I know about making parents proud?" Luke asks rhetorically, picking up his phone again nonchalantly. Michael and Ashton are deathly silent. 

A long stretch of silence passes, Ashton clearing his throat twice in the amount of time. Michael's hand is on his leg, squeezing, and Luke doesn't understand why but he isn't about to stop it anytime soon, letting the fingernails digging into his flesh ground him down. 

He feels like the room is twice and hot and the air he's breathing feels more like fog now. 

He looks up from his phone to see Calum still glaring at him, face red and blotchy. Luke raises an eyebrow before turning so he's facing Michael instead. A text come's through on his phone. 

Mikey: what is happening right now??? 

Luke: I'm trying to stick up for myself

Luke: is it working?

Mikey: yes

Mikey: where did your innocence go??

Mikey: you used to be all blushy and virginal and now you're holding your own and you've seduced me???

Luke: I didn't seduce you!

Mikey: baby

Mikey: honey

Mikey: sweetheart

Mikey: yesterday you tried sexting me

Luke: I stand by the argument that I was genuinely asking for handcuffs for a drama piece I want to do in school

Luke: I'm being a police officer

Michael: just admit you want my hot bod

Luke: I want your pasty white ass

Mikey: The amount of hate I have for you breaks records. 

Luke glances up when there's movement in the room to see Calum stand up, grab his bag and leave, slamming the door behind himself. He blinks before shrugging to Ashton. 

"Hey, dude, get a drum." Michael says to Ashton, who grins and practically skips out of the room. 

"You feel like writing a song?" He then asks Luke, putting his phone on the floor and stroking Luke's thigh. 

Luke smiles and nods as Michael pulls away to pick up the acoustic guitar.