80 *

{ e i g h t y }

"Luke." He looks up and ignores Michael's worried stare, smiling and tilting his head. "What happened last night?" 

"I listened to all of Zayn's new album, and did you know that-"

"Luke."

"Gigi Hadid better not be the reason behind Fool For You-"

"Lucas." 

"I still ship Zerrie. Is that sad?" Luke finally looks up again and Michael is still staring at him, a piece of pepperoni pizza in one of his hands, dangling by the crust from between his fingers. 

Luke looks between the piece of food and Michael's eyes. A piece of pepperoni is about to fall onto the floor and the cheese is slowly sliding down. Michael's going to lose his lunch if he isn't careful. 

Except Michael doesn't seem to care. He's still staring, a frown on his face, pulling his pink lips so their thinner across his face. His eyes are narrowed, his brow drawn. If Luke didn't  know him any better he'd think Michael was angry with him, but no, this is Michael's pity look. 

Pity; because it's obvious his chat with Calum didn't go well. Luke has been throwing himself into music all day, keeping earphones wrapped around his collar, the left bud always in. His guitar pick necklace around his neck, nervously pulling at it when a person so much glances at him. 

He's been writing new songs, there are lyrics Michael had only gotten a glance at scrawled over his arms; from the chords written on his hand Michael assumes the song is a sad one. He's been diverting by talking about Zayn's new album all day, Michael could honestly recite some of Zayn's songs himself; and he doesn't even like that sort of music. It's obvious Luke has gone into a coping mechanism mode. 

"We should go to music before we're late." Luke diverts before Michael can say anything. He looks down at Michael's now cheese-less pizza and grimaces at the mess on the floor. Michael notices at the same time, sighing halfheartedly and standing up, looking around before grabbing his bag, Luke's arm and beginning to walk away. Luke feels bad for whoever has to clean it up, but he doesn't dwell on the thoughts for long. "You think you can help me get the melody for this new song I've written? I've got some sort of block on it." 

"Sure." Michael answers as they walk. He's worried; he so, so worried but maybe reading over Luke's lyrics will help him understand what went on last night. As bad as it sounds, Luke always writes the best song when he's upset and Michael loves to read them, loves to try and figure out the meaning. 

They don't talk too much on the way to music, but Michael notices Luke pulling at his necklace when they pass Calum's group of friends; the boy in question nowhere to be seen. 

*

When they get to music, they're again directed to a practice room for no reason whatsoever, having no work to do because they completed the course when they did their exam. Ashton is in their usual room of course, and again, Calum isn't there,  but Michael isn't one bit surprised. 

Michael finds that Ashton has already brought a guitar into the room and picks it up when he walks in, looking at Ashton who nods in permission and maybe greeting, staring at his phone screen straight afterwards. 

"So what's this new song called?" Michael asks once they've sat down. Luke grins, rolls up his sleeves and reveals countless scrawls of black pen up and down his arm. 

"Story Of Another Us." Luke exclaims. "I have the melody for the chorus but I'm stuck on the verses. I still need to figure out some chords and stuff too but I have all the lyrics." 

Michael spreads his arms out and Luke grabs the guitar. He and Michael know each other well enough to skip some talk, instead just understanding. Show me what you've got, is what he's basically saying. Luke settles the guitar on his lap and taps a beat out on the floor, repeating it twice before Michael picks it up, tapping the simple beat onto the floor. Ashton curiously looks up and between them both; their writing process is a little weird but it's the fastest and the best they have.

"Okay, verse 1; blah blah blah," He mumbles to himself, nodding his head to the beat. "Three...Two..." He does a few single strums and starts playing the chorus, singing almost immediately. 

I got a long term plan with short term fixes and a wasted heart that just eclipses and I push my luck from trust to dust enough, that's the story of another us. One last ditch, a new beginning so take this heart and put yourself in it, the surprise ending I'm depending on, could be the story of another us.

Luke smiles sadly to himself, keeping his eyes on the strings before pulling himself together and looking up for Michael's opinion. Michael's smiling at him, albeit sadly, and if he figures out the lyrics he doesn't say anything and neither does Ashton. Before any of them have the chance to talk though, Luke's phone goes off and the door open at the same time, their teacher smiling at them. 

"Coach Hood would like to see you again, sweetheart." She explains to Luke. His heart lurches at the name Hood. At least he won't have to lie this time, because nothing is actually happening between himself and Calum. He nods and places the guitar on the floor. When she leaves the room, he lets out a breath and stands up, brushing his jeans off. 

"I have a bad feeling." Michael admits, watching Luke closely. "Like real bad. Who texted you?"

He pulls his phone out of his pocket nonchalantly, his face paling. 

Calum: Stay there

"You aren't going." Michael declares, still closely watching Luke's expression. 

"It was just my mom, Mike. Chill out. He probably just wants to talk about the rumors again. It's nothing." 

Luke leaves the room to Michael's displeasure, calmly walking to Calum's dad's office only for all hell to break loose as soon as he gets there.