91 *

{ n i n e t y o n e }

When his parents came home he just told them he felt ill and went to bed, or continued to stay in bed that is. It's late now, and about half an hour ago his parents went to bed, leaving the house in darkness and silence, yet Luke still can't sleep. 

He just lays there, staring at the ceiling with his blanket pushed to the bottom of his bed, waiting for nothing. 

He hears a small click and opens his eyes, looking around his dark room squinting before he hears the click again. He sits up and looks around more thoroughly, eyes skimming past his window as he see's a small pebble hit the glass and bounce back, making the click sound again. 

He rolls his eyes and stretches, standing up and looking out of his window. 

It's forty minutes past midnight, and Michael is dressed all in back, standing on the lawn in his back yard with a handfull of pebbles. He drops them when he see's Luke, so the blond opens the window, shivering already from the breeze that's let into the room. 

"What are you doing?" Luke hisses to him, looking between the stones at his feet and the window- like this is some Romeo and Juliet scene or whatever. "You think pebbles would've woke me up if I was sleeping?" 

"I knew you wouldn't be sleeping." He replies easily. "And neither am I. Instead I'm here, freezing my fucking ass off because you won't answer your phone." 

Luke bites his lip, and frowns. "Stay there." He tells his best friend before softly shutting his window and jogging downstairs. He unlocks his kitchen door and steps out before closing it again, Michael standing a few steps away from the door now. "Fuckin' hell, it's cold out here." 

"You wanna tell me what's going on?" 

Luke rolls his eyes and crosses his arms around himself, pressing his toes into the floor through his fluffy socks. 

"Nothing is going on." Michael stares at him. "Calum- came over today... Look, it's whatever, Mike, why are you even here at this time?" 

"Why are you being so pissy with me for caring?" Michael asks calmly. 

"Because you're being weird!" Luke whisper yells. "Because I'm getting some weird fucking signals from you, and Calum broke up with me and I don't know why I'm not upset about it, okay?! I should be crying or something, but I just- I feel relieved, and I can't work out what's going on in my head. 

"I- I don't know where you stand in all of this, honestly." Luke whispers finally, Michael stepping forward and staring at him. "I'm just kind of-" 

"Confused?" Michael puts in. Luke looks up and glares at him. 

"Okay, now you know what's going on with me. So what the fuck is going on with you, Mike?" 

"What do you mean?" He asks confusedly, a hair length away from being too close now, voice quiet. 

"You- this, Michael!" He waves between the short amount of distance between them. "The other day when you leant in like you were gunna..." Michael grabs his wrist softly, thumb stroking against the point where his heartbeat comes through. 

"Like I was gunna what, Luke?" He asks softly, making Luke look up and connect eyes with him. 

In an instant Luke has ripped his arm out of Michael's hold and pushed the taller boy again, no long whisper yelling but practically screaming at this point, "I'm not one of your games, Michael! I don't understand-" He's cut off when Michael puts a hand on his cheek and swallows his words, pressing their lips together. 

Luke forgets how confused he is, he forgets Calum and the cold nipping at his skin. He forgets that they're in the dark and how late it is, and he just kisses back, wrapping his arms around Michael's neck and grabbing onto the long part of his hair that's grown down his neck, Michael's hand that isn't on his face going to the curve of Luke's waist and walking him backwards until his shoulders bump against the brick wall of his house. 

It's not as sweet as the kisses he shared with Calum; Michael's fingerprints press hard enough into his hip to leave bruises, his lips probably doing the same, and Michael's biting at his bottom lip and slipping his tongue into Luke's mouth, fingers rubbing over the tiny amount of stubble on the blond's jaw. 

He's a better kisser, much more experienced than Luke for sure, and it shows, in the way he can flick his tongue and somehow bite at Luke's lip as they continue to kiss, and so Luke goes pliant, sinking into the wall and letting his thoughts cloud over and natural instinct kick in. 

He's brought back to reality quickly though, when Michael whispers into his mouth. "Just after you and him got together," They kiss again, the story getting lost for a few moments before Michael pulls away and presses their foreheads together, "We had this- this huge argument, me and him." Luke felt Michael's cold breath going over his top lip as the words washed over him. "He accused me, of like, all this stuff. Saying that I'd had my chance and stuff like that- thought me an' you had dated or something.

"Told me he didn't like you and me hanging out, because he didn't trust me." Luke feels almost blinded by the new information. "I didn't- didn't like him after that, not cos he's a jock, but because he tried taking you away from me." 

"Why didn't you tell me that before?" 

Michael laughs lightly. "You were loved up, Lucas, wouldn't have cared." He breathes heavily for a moment. "I was fine until you stared dating, Luke." 

"I'm so confused." Luke just replies quietly, and just because he's scared this may be the only chance he gets, he tilts his head up and catches Michael's lips again, Michael pressing down to kiss him properly. 

The night goes on.