84 *

{ e i g h t y f o u r }

Luke wiped his eyes, glancing at the shape of Calum one more time before leaving the room, softy closing the door behind himself. He jogged down the stairs, seeing his step dad and Michael laughing about something on the TV. 

Michael spots him at the bottom of the stairs, smiling before saying something to Luke's dad and walking over to him. 

"I'm going out, Luke." His step dad tells him. "I'm going to take Liz some dinner, you want anything while I'm out?" He asks as he pulls his jacket from a hook, the open door only showing a sliver of his silhouette. 

Luke declines, knowing that he's probably going to talk to his Mom about the Calum situation as well.

He leaves as Michael and Luke get comfy on the sofa, Michael turning on a game console his step dad uses. He puts FIFA in and sets up two controllers, throwing them both on the sofa before going into the kitchen. 

Luke stretches, looking down at his skinny jeans before pulling the elastic away from his leg and letting it snap down again. He frowns at it before getting up, running up the stairs again just as Michael comes back into the living room with two bottles of water and a slice of his Mom's pie. 

He almost forgets that Calum is in his room until he sees the lump in his covers, seeming small even on the tiny bed. Luke stares at him for a minute, listening to the steady in and out of his breath before creeping over to his clothes drawers and pulling out a pink skater skirt. 

He quickly changes from his jeans, keeping his tight black t shirt on but just tucking it in, and finally he puts on black knee socks before leaving the room, skipping back down the stairs before collapsing onto the sofa next to Michael; their knees touching. Michael silently hands him a controller and presses play, letting Luke pick a team first- which is a miracle in itself. 

"You want a bite of pie?" Michael asks before he picks his own team, mouth already half full. Luke grimaces and giggles, looking away from him. "What?" Luke just shakes his head and looks away, Michael starting the game. 

They play in silence for a while, Luke eventually forgetting about the whole thing, which was probably his best friends intention. 

Eventually, it's brought up. "So... Are you alright now? Where is he?" 

"Upstairs," Luke replies easily, still focused on the game. "Asleep." 

"It really isn't your fault, you know."

Luke doesn't reply, and suddenly the game is paused, which he should've expected. Luke sighs, dropping his controller onto his lap and turning to look at his best friend. Michael used his knees to pull him closer, Luke shoving his skirt between his legs so nothing is on show. 

"Lukey," Michael sing songs, Luke just blinks. "Seriously wasn't your fault, you know. He made his own choices." Luke shrugs. "Hey." Michael leans in close, puts a hand on his thigh- Luke focuses on that instead of the conversation.  "Hey." He says again, grabbing his jaw and making him look up. 

Luke pouts but connects their eyes anyway, and then he freezes, because Michael seems to be right there, almost too close to him, and Luke can see the hints of gold that are in his green eyes, and it feels like deja vu all over again. 

His mind flashes to a mere twenty four hours earlier, when he'd kissed Michael just to get back at Calum for cheating on him, and it seems like it happened ages ago. It feels like a distant memory. He remembers pulling away, Michael's shocked face as he did, and then coming home. 

They move closer to each other. 

His mouth opens automatically, Michael's hand sliding his skirt up his thigh as they get closer together, the silence in the room is comfortable and somehow loud at the same time, he tilts his head, feels Michael's breath wash over him and- 

and then there are footsteps coming down the stairs, and Luke pulls away from fast that Michael stumbles forward into the sofa, his arms just about catching him before he hits it face first. Luke pulls his skirt over his legs again, breathe hot and heavy in the worst way, and looks up to the stairs as Calum continues to walk down them. 

He falters at the bottom, looking at Luke in his skirt before turning to Michael and grimacing, stepping towards them. 

"Good to see you too, mate." Michael says, the words sharp and bitter. Calum ignores him in favor of squeezing in next to Luke, putting an arm around the blonds shoulders and pulling them closer together. 

Calum kisses his cheek, mumbling, "M sorry." Luke just nods, Michael scoffing as he turns back to the TV and presses play. Luke stays stiff against his boyfriend, not daring to settle into the touch after what could've just happened, and focuses on playing the game in the new silence that the room has fallen into. 

Michael wins, not that he really enjoys the victory to its full extent like usual. As soon as the game ends, he turns on the sofa, giving Luke a soft smile before patting his knee and standing up. 

"Tell Liz thanks for the pie," He says, and Luke pouts. "Text me later." Michael tells him, "Oh, and I think your Mom's car just pulled into the driveway." 

It's proven when she walks in with his step dad a second after he's said it, and Michael smirks at Luke, casually pretending to flick his hair away from his face- this is what Luke is used to, Michael reveling in whatever win he can get his hands on. 

"See ya, Mikey." Luke says, Michael spinning on his heel, saying something under his breath that sounds a lot like, 'new perfume Liz, you kill me' and Luke just rolls his eyes at Michael's ability to flirt with anyone and everyone. No wonder they almost... Luke lets that thought slip to the back of his mind. 

"Evening, my boys." Liz greets, her body rattling the sofa as she collapses down into the seat Michael vacated from mere seconds ago. "So what in the name of God has happened today?"