49 *

{ f o r t y n i n e }

"Hey, princess!" The curly haired jock called out to Luke. He sighed, stepping closer to Michael and trying to ignore the group behind them.

Michael stood next to him, watching as Luke typed away on his phone at a furious pace, just like usual. Michael was being patient with Luke, but it was getting ridiculous, he was becoming second best to a phone. Michael guessed the date a few days ago went well.

"Don't ignore me!" The same jock called. Michael was learning all of their names now, after learning Calum's he decided it would be better to be on a first name basis with the whole group. This curly hair fucker was Ashton, a 20 year old who had to retake his last year in high school, pathetic really.

"You need to back off, mate." Michael spat, glancing at Luke and back at the air-headed jock. It was lunch, and Michael and Luke happened to be in line for food with a small group of 4 jocks behind them.

Ashton stepped forward, trying to look good in front of his new younger friends. Michael thought the whole thing was just pathetic really, he sighed, ignoring Ashton's desperation for attention and a fight.

"Lukey, that's your name, right?" The jock was starting to piss Michael off. He span around, knocking a girl in front of him a few steps forward. Luke apologised to the girl for him and he was grateful. "Or should I call him twink?"

The grip Luke had on his phone was tight, trying not to get upset because he knew Calum was next to the asshole. He knew Calum could hear everything and he also knew Calum was spam-texting him right now but he couldn't bring himself to look at the texts. Instead he just pretended to read them to distract himself.

"You can call him nothing, put your tongue back in your fucking mouth before I staple it there." Michael gritted out, turning around again and knocking the girl once more as he faced the front, looking towards the layout of food options.

The girl turned, glaring at him. Michael leant down to meet her eyes. She was obviously younger, fifteen maybe.

"Sorry, love." Michael said, giving her his usual charming smile and watching a blush cover her cheeks. The young ones were always the easiest to get a reaction out of when flirting. She stuttered out an apology for no reason and turned so Michael couldn't see her reddened face.

Michael felt Luke smack him around the back of his head.

"Hey! What?" Michael asked his best friend with a pout, messing us his hair as he ran his hands through it.

"Stop being a fuckboy." Luke deadpanned, moving forward as the line moved. He'd put his phone in his pocket now so of course he would tell Michael off for flirting. It's not like Michael would make a real move on a fifteen year old girl anyway.

"Yeah, Michael, listen to your boyfriend." Another jock said, the pale one from weeks ago who had tripped Luke up. Michael had learnt his name as Beau.

This beau was the opposite of the meaning of his name though.

"Didn't you hear? Don't call him Michael's boyfriend, call him nothing. 'Cause he's nothing, ain't that right, Michael?" Ashton teased the green haired boy. Michael had recently dyed it.

Nobody saw Calum's hands clenching by his sides, but everybody saw Luke rush out of the line hanging his head down as if the thought of anyone seeing his face deeply upset him.

Michael saw red again, it honestly wasn't often that he picked fights, but sometimes he just loses control, especially when Luke is hurt for no reason. He pushed two jocks away from Ashton with his forearms, grabbing Ashton's neck and slamming him against the counter they were next to.

"You're pushing my fucking patience, mate." The grip of Michael's hand tightened around the boys neck and people around them started to worry. Michael got into Ashton's personal space, satisfied when he felt the gulp of fear against his palm at the proximity of his face to Ashton's.

"Don't look so tough with a hand wrapped 'round your throat, do you Ash? I could just..." Michael tightened his grip again, seeing Ashton's face get redder. The young girl Michael had flirted with called out to the closest teacher, watching the scene with scared eyes. Michael glanced at the three other jocks, he was surprised to see Calum with them but hid it well.

"I don't see your so-called friends helping you," Michael was grinning now, it was evil an forced but he'd completely lost control. His anger had gotten the best of him and nothing was snapping him out of it, not even the people pulling on his arms, fingers, trying to get him away. "In fact, you look absolutely... helpless." Ashon's friends, just as Michael said, were doing nothing, not even trying to get Michael off like everyone else.

The whispered words made Ashton gulp again but he wasn't able to, the liquid just stayed in his mouth and he was having trouble breathing. His entire body was reddening, his face being the darkest shade.

Michael couldn't even hear the chaos around him, he was solely focused on Ashton.

"Don't piss me off, Ashton. This is my last warning to you. I will fucking destroy you, okay?" Ashton did nothing and Michael showed the first sign of getting out of his angry state, loosening his fingers so Ashton could finally inhale one deep breath. "Okay?!"

"Ugh-f-o-o-kay." Michael dropped his grip, watching with hooded eyes as Ashton dropped against the counter, clutching at his throat.

For the first time in a few minutes, Michael was aware of his surroundings. There were several teachers, all the students had been pushed back behind them and were arching around him as if they were watching some sort of show. The young girl was crying and the jocks looked mortified. Luke was with one of the teachers, he was the only student near Michael and Michael was glad of that.

The whole hall was silent, only gasping breath being heard from Ashton and a teachers voice trying to soothe the choking boy. The principle walked towards Michael with a hooded expression, gripping his bicep so hard that Michael winced and suddenly his anger was gone and he'd realised what he'd done. He'd lost control completely, like his mind wasn't even running with his body; no wonder people were staring at him as if he was a circus freak.

"You're in so much shit, Clifford. I told you-" the principle, who Michael knew quite well already, sighed loudly, gripping his nose with his free hand. Luke walked towards them both slowly, trying to edge his way further to Michael without anyone freaking out.

"Your b-boyfriend is a psycho, twink." Gasps and one scream was heard as Michael lurched for Ashton and his smart mouth, seeing red again and unable to help himself. He'd pent up too much anger for him now, the principle gripped him but Michael was like a raging bull, he pulled out of it easily.

Luke panicked, urgently throwing himself in front of Michael and putting his hands on his best friends shoulders. "Hey, Mike- that's enough!" Michael snapped out of his state, looking Luke in the eyes and dropping his fists by his sides instantly. They stared at each other for a few mere seconds as they had a conversation with their eyes. Don't dig yourself a deeper hole. 

He pulled away from Luke with a harsh tug, walking towards the door and being followed by four teachers.

"Shows over." Luke snapped as people continued to gape at him. He followed after Michael, pulling Calum's hoody over his fingers and hoping that Michael was okay. He couldn't handle Michael not being okay.