77 *

{ s e v e n t y s e v e n }

Luke had cried too much in the past twenty four hours, and he was still ready to cry right now. Calum hadn't told him everything. He could take it, he could, he could take the dancing and flirting and whatever else they did, he could, if Calum would've been honest about what exactly had happened. That's all Luke wanted to know. 

Yes, either way, he would've been annoyed, either way he would've ignored Calum for a little while to get back at him, because it hurt, but it didn't hurt all that badly. Calum lying to him, keeping things from him; whatever the hell you wanted to call it, that's what really hurt. That's whats hurting right now. 

He heard it from Michael, of all people, because Ashton had mentioned it (Luke didn't ask how) and Michael had almost flipped until Luke told him that Calum had told him what happened and he was fine with it, and then Michael replied, "You're okay with your boyfriend's lips on someone else's neck? Fucking hell, Luke, he's taking advantage of you! You're honestly okay that your precious little fucking-is taking a cheerleader on a date tomorrow?!" 

Well. 

What exactly could one say to that? 

Calum hadn't texted him all day and Luke hadn't made the effort either, honestly, he could see the end of their relationship rushing towards him like water; it would only be a matter of time before the waves crashed over him. He didn't want to be one of those people, one of the ones who thought honestly was the key, but well- he was, is. Calum could've told him. 

Now he has to see Calum's face, cramped in a small soundproof room with Michael's fists already clenching at the thought and Ashton Irwin. Luke and Michael were both late to music class, naturally. They turned up, said hello to the teacher so she's mark them in, and then paused out in the hallway. 

"She's seen us. We could just go." Michael suggested, voice calm despite his nails digging into his palms. 

Luke hesitated, looking to the practice room. "Part of me wants to believe it isn't true. Like, there's a voice in my head saying, Calum would tell you, he wouldn't lie to you and I just- I want it to be telling the truth so bad. What am I going to do if it isn't?" Luke hopelessly looks at Michael who's awestruck. Luke hasn't said that many words in one go all day. "It hurts so bad now." Luke told him quietly. "What am I going to do when I walk in there, and- and he can't look me in the eye and I'll know, Mike, I'll know as soon as I see him. I have to see him because I have to know." 

They walked into the practice room, Ashton being the only one to look up and acknowledge them. Calum was glued to his phone, typing away, and Luke still hadn't had any messages all day. He was reminded of that fact like a strike to the heart.   

"Let's go." Michael tugged on his arm, because he knew too, it was so obvious. Calum didn't even bother to try. Luke didn't co-operate. "Luke, I'm not asking you right now. Let's go." Michael's hold on him got tighter. Luke was still staring at Calum. Michael leant in to whisper, even though the room was silent and both of the other boys could hear him anyway. "Lucas, my mother pays a lot of money and I take a lot of pills so I don't hurt people, okay? If we don't leave, right fucking now, you're breaking my mothers heart." Just wait for him to look up, Luke thought. One more second. Michael's fingers were probably leaving bruises on Luke's skin at this point. He hated hurting Luke, and he hated other people who hurt Luke more. 

Calum looked up, and that's all it took for Michael to drop his hold of Luke and set his dark eyes onto Calum's slumped figure. Luke, with all the strength an actual noodle boy could muster, pushed his hand against Michael's chest and pushed him out the room, closing the door behind them both. 

"I'll fucking kill him!" 

Luke's lip trembled. 

"Fucking move Luke, I'll-"

His hands shook. 

"He'll never look at you- he'll never be able to see you again."

His eyes filled up. 

"Stupid, prissy little fucking cunt-"

and Luke started to cry. 

He couldn't hold it anymore, he couldn't deny it anymore. He was in love with an absolute twat and everywhere around him was dark and he could find the light to get out. There was nothing to do but wonder around in the darkness, having no path and no recollection of how and when it got this bad, this dark. Somewhere between cursing all of Calum's family and threatening to bust his lips, Michael noticed and went silent, pulling Luke into a well needed hug. Michael's arms wrapped him up perfectly, fit him just right, and his chest was warm and soft and he was taller than Calum and he smelt different and- 

and Luke was hurting. 

Michael didn't ever hurt his feelings, Michael always knew best (he warned Luke about Calum,) and Michael was overprotective and funny and loving and talented and he accepted Luke and loved to be seen with him in public. He didn't care who Luke was. That little voice that way saying Calum wouldn't ever hurt him, it was saying Michael's name now, and Luke knew he was delirious and the voice was hurting more than it was helping but he went along with it, because Michael was there with his arms wrapped around Luke's body, whispering how perfect and beautiful he was and it was all very confusing. Luke's mind was a whirlpool and the voice was getting louder, screaming at him and blurring into Luke's thoughts, and then the voice was clear. 

The voice told Luke to kiss him, and there in the hallway, Luke cut off Michael's words, and did just that.